Export thread

Toro 2-cycle lawnmower - carburetor float drop?

W

wolfgangamadeus

I have a Toro lawn mower, Model 20584, with (I think - although I'm not sure) a Tecumseh engine 47PH7-212096 (How do you tell if your engine is Tecumseh or Suzuki?). The engine had been surging badly. I just cleaned the carburetor and put the parts to the Toro carburetor kit (gaskets & needle valve) in - and surging is gone. But now engine runs with no surging idles much too fast. Don't know if the carburetor float needs adjusting. I found a Toro engine service manual on line which lists carburetor float drop as 11/16" for engine model 47PD3, but N/A for engines 47PE4 and 47PF5. Since mine is a model 47PH7, I'm not sure precisely what to do about the float drop - or why for two engine models listed in the service manual the drop is listed as "N/A."

Does anyone know what - if anything - the float drop for engine model 47PH7 should be?

Thanks.

W

wolfgangamadeus

Ooops! I think my engine is actually the Suzuki - not Tecumseh.

K

KennyV

I'm not sure of your float setting but I do know if you are going to go by rough guess, set it to be a little more toward too much fuel rather than too little... a lean fuel mixture will over heat and burn valves...
:smile:KennyV

W

wolfgangamadeus

Thanks for the reply, Kenny.

Having just taken my carburetor apart for the 2nd time in two days, I find that (I think) the float drop is not adjustable. The plastic float has a plastic tang that does not seem to be "bendable" - so the float drop is what it is.

I am now fiddling with the choke arm - which controls the choke and throttle setting. I think where it was caused the throttle to run full open almost over the entire range of the lever throw.

K

KennyV

There is not a lot of linkage there so just a little off will cause a lot of problem... Trial & error is sometimes the best way to sort out carb linkage problems... :smile:KennyV