topsy turvy

Reddrexx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently accuired a b&s 5 hp motor from the dump and am attempting to get it going. I have done this a few times with success but have a question. The mower I took the engine from was in a pile, upsidown! and full of oil and gas. When i flipped it over, oil leaked out of the carb (from crankcase vent i assume) and went everywhere. Do I need to take any extra precautions before attempting a start up other than the general clean up, spark plug and a carb rebuild i was planning? Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently accuired a b&s 5 hp motor from the dump and am attempting to get it going. I have done this a few times with success but have a question. The mower I took the engine from was in a pile, upsidown! and full of oil and gas. When i flipped it over, oil leaked out of the carb (from crankcase vent i assume) and went everywhere. Do I need to take any extra precautions before attempting a start up other than the general clean up, spark plug and a carb rebuild i was planning? Thanks

Crank it with the plug out to purge any accumulation of liquid that may be present in the cylinder.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
-Yep. Do what SeniorCitizen said, plus make sure the plug is dry before trying to start it. Also when you flip the engine over, always tilt it with the carb facing up to help prevent this form happening again...

L8R,
Matt

Reddrexx

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks everyone, before i posted I sort of did what was suggested by mistake. I had removed the plug and turned it over once by hand, when it hit the compression stroke, BURP! oil all down my work bench and pant leg! LOL. Thanks again, I put in fresh oil and plug, compression and spark tested good, next some fresh fuel and a good once over on the carb and we will see what we get.:smile: