Top Three Maintenance Procedures for Lawn Mowers

cohen

Threads
Hi Folks! Would you care guiding a newbie a little bit?

What, in your opinion, are the top three maintenance procedures that a lawn mower (focus on ride-on mowers) should keep in mind? Then what are the tools necessary to perform those procedures?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always thought the most over looked thing on small engines is ... Keep them clean.
This is usually not really important to a lot of folks but I like working on engines and I especially like working on clean engines.

Annual oil filters change.
Keep fuel tanks full during operating season, full with fuel stabilizer during off season.
Keep blades sharp, and belts/pulleys aligned.
Keep tire pressure up, saves side walls.
If you are fortunate enough to have grease zerks .. use them. :smile:KennyV

Hoss

Threads
I second that. A clean mower is a happy mower:smile: The fuel system especially. Dirty or clogged lines are the most common reasons for a mower having a short life.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine blower air flow isn't checked often enough and in some instances never. A mouse, if in the area, with a good supply of nest building material can pack the air duct full over night. Then we often see the mower by the curb with a " FREE " sign because of over heating that can cause various problems such as a valve seat out of pocket.

The shroud doesn't need pulling each time if you know where the air discharges and have a feel for it, when clean, locked into your memory bank. Remove the shroud only once /year to do an inspection.

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Folks! Would you care guiding a newbie a little bit?

What, in your opinion, are the top three maintenance procedures that a lawn mower (focus on ride-on mowers) should keep in mind? Then what are the tools necessary to perform those procedures?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

CLEAN OIL, and kept full

CLEAN air filter

CLEAN engine, fuel inclusive

Overheating and hot running are sure killers of any engine. By keeping the oil clean and full, and having a clean air filter, you will reduce engine wear and assure the gas/air ratio isn't too rich, which will lead to contaminated oil more quickly. And keeping the engine and shrouds clean will allow it to run cooler. Every timne I finish using my tractor or mower, I let them idle down and blow off the grass and dust debris.

briggs

Threads
oil is the life line of your motor change it every season if you use it a lot change it 2 or 3 times a season ...Clean fresh fuel is a must old gas reeks havoc on carbs and rubber seals and lines i drain all my mowers at the end of the season keep air filter clean pull plug once in awhile and clean it and check gap ,grease and lube is a must dry parts dont work well ...also keep it clean when cooling fins get clogged with grass and crud the motor gets hot

stuckinnj

Threads
Just a reminder - today's fuels have at minimum 10% Ethanol. The Viton seals in your carb does not get along very well w/Ethanol. It tends to swell the seals. There are 2 schools of thought on fuel tank storage 1) fill the tank and add stabilizer 2) drain the tank and add a bit of stabilizer to the tank to keep it from rusting (metal tank). Whichever you decide, ensure that the stabilizer gets into the carb bowl. Filling the tank and adding stabilizer without running that fuel through the carb will provide you the joy and excitement of o'hauling the carb at the beginning of the next season.

I practice #2 on my gas motor equipment - exception is my Harley (full tank w/stabilizer) but it lives in my garage. The diesel's are never really stored. I do use additive all year long.

Depending on where you live, think about the type of stabilizer you use. StaBil has a marine additive (blue in color) that is designed specifically for ethanol fuel. Note: this is not a promotion or endorsement for StaBil - they just happen to be the most popular brand in the Northeast.

That's my 2 cents worth..........