Too much compression issue

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a fool proof way. Works on every engine.
Turn the engine counterclockwise by hand till one valve is open and the other is closed. Adjust the closed valve.

If you do the 1/4 past tdc then you have to Measure the stroke then go 1/4 of it down.

You both are arguing over a simple procedure.

It's a small engine there is nothing complicated about it.

You're right, it isn't complicated. But that is not the right way to adjust valves. Doing it that way, the lifter (or valve stem, on flatheads) will be approximately perpendicular (90 degrees) to centerline of the cam lobe. 180 degrees is the ideal spot, where the lifter is on the base circle and directly opposite the cam lobe.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You're right, it isn't complicated. But that is not the right way to adjust valves. Doing it that way, the lifter (or valve stem, on flatheads) will be approximately perpendicular (90 degrees) to centerline of the cam lobe. 180 degrees is the ideal spot, where the lifter is on the base circle and directly opposite the cam lobe.

Well dang.
1000s of us have been doing it wrong for 50 years.

It has been tested over and over to be the best way.

Adjust your valves with one of the ways in this thread. Then check them using the other 2 ways. I bet the valves will read the same. If done right.

Do you really think that most people take the time to know where a 1/4 from tdc is?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well dang.
1000s of us have been doing it wrong for 50 years.

It has been tested over and over to be the best way.

Adjust your valves with one of the ways in this thread. Then check them using the other 2 ways. I bet the valves will read the same. If done right.

Do you really think that most people take the time to know where a 1/4 from tdc is?
You don't have to.

Set the intake when the exhaust just starts to open.

Set the exhaust when the intake has just finished closing.

It's that simple. It puts you as close as you can get to that ideal spot that I described.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the way I was taught to do it.
it is also the recommended way to do all BSA pre-WWII motorcycles as they had substantial opening and closing ramps to make the engines quieter.
Also no matter what the valve timing is or the addition of decompression devices, you can not go wrong if you use the opposing valve method.