Export thread

Too good to be true? Raptor 52"

K

Kelvininin

Hello,

I thought I would gather some incite on a recent experience at Lowes. I have been eye balling zero tern mowers for a while now, but was having a hard time justifying the cost. Well yesterday, my semi local lowes had a 52" Raptor sitting on the floor marked down from $2999 to $2699. This lowes usually only has the big name brand mowers on the floor. I was intrigued and checking the mower out.

Sales guy comes up we shoot the breeze about the mower for a while. The mower was brand new, never used, special order, the guy who ordered it wanted something bigger. We talked a little about the pricing and the guys says "how does $2299 delivered for free sound?" Uhhh.... Ok! So now I have new never used Hustler 52" Raptor being delivered on Monday.

Typically I have found that deals that sound too good to be true, are. So what am I missing here? Or did I actually get lucky?

It just seems odd to me that lowes would cut such a deal on a mower. I would imagine $2300 is pretty close to what lowes paid for the mower. Why would lowes be so desperate to get the unit off the floor?

Anyway, I am going to give it a shot and if it doesn't seem to work out I could probably sell it for what I have in it.

1striper1

Can you first provide more information about the area you will be mowing? Acres? Trees? Wide open? Slopes? Etc.?

Most here (including me) will advise against buying from a big box store. We ask "when you need service who's going to do it?" You're just a number at Lowes. At a dealer, you are more than just a number....most times.

But..the deal is done and your focus (IMO) should turn to making sure that after you get it that the mower is properly set up, deck leveled, all nuts/bolts tight. Fluids at proper levels along with tire air pressure.

Hustler has all your Owners Manuals available online in downloadable PDF's. Take time and download the manual for your ZTR and read through it.

Try not to use gasoline with ethanol in it. Lots of stations in the upper midwest sell premium gas w/o ethanol. Cenex gas stations sell regular gas w/o ethanol.

I'm sure I've missed stuff and the other regulars here will post as well.

A

acfttech

Hustler is a good mower period!!!!
Raptor? don't know much about it but if it has the Hustler name, you will be good!

as for the price, I have purchased many items at a discount price at Lowes, they are just known to move products...cheap!
I think you got a great deal enjoy, besides they have a good return policy!!

K

Kelvininin

My house sits on 1.3 acres with about 18 mature trees and some landscaping islands. Most of it is flat, except the portion that was excavated for the walkout basement. I currently mow it with a 42" Husqavarna law tractor, trimming with a Honda push mower and it takes about 3 hours from start to finish.

I don't mind making purchases like this from big box stores if the deal is right. I usually do all my own work, as long as I can get parts. But I do have a huslter dealer 8 miles from my house. But typically my stuff only will go back to a dealer for warranty work, after that I twist my own wrenches for pretty much everything.

Plus lowes has a 30 day return policy so if I really hate it, or it doesn't perform as expected, or is problematic, I can return it.

1striper1

My house sits on 1.3 acres with about 18 mature trees and some landscaping islands. Most of it is flat, except the portion that was excavated for the walkout basement. I currently mow it with a 42" Husqavarna law tractor, trimming with a Honda push mower and it takes about 3 hours from start to finish.

I don't mind making purchases like this from big box stores if the deal is right. I usually do all my own work, as long as I can get parts. But I do have a huslter dealer 8 miles from my house. But typically my stuff only will go back to a dealer for warranty work, after that I twist my own wrenches for pretty much everything.

Plus lowes has a 30 day return policy so if I really hate it, or it doesn't perform as expected, or is problematic, I can return it.

I understand....was just asking. If YOU are happy, that's all that matters.

I think you will cut (no pun intended) your mow time down by upwards of 50%. Think about making a mount on your ZTR so you can attach a string trimmer to it and when you're in a particular area that needs trimming, just jump off and git er done. Your unit doesn't show that it has a ROPS so it might not be doable, or you're OK with walking around.

Just go thru the mower closely. Don't assume for a second Lowes did anything more than assemble it and put it out on the floor. No matter what the sales kid said.

K

Kelvininin

I understand....was just asking. If YOU are happy, that's all that matters.

I think you will cut (no pun intended) your mow time down by upwards of 50%. Think about making a mount on your ZTR so you can attach a string trimmer to it and when you're in a particular area that needs trimming, just jump off and git er done. Your unit doesn't show that it has a ROPS so it might not be doable, or you're OK with walking around.

Just go thru the mower closely. Don't assume for a second Lowes did anything more than assemble it and put it out on the floor. No matter what the sales kid said.

Oh absolutely. I will basically follow the setup instructions to make sure the mower is assembled properly. When I make purchases like this I would rather it be delivered in a create from the manufacture.

I am happy with the purchase. I am just curious why Lowes was so hot to trot to get the mower off the floor, that they would knock $700 off the MSRP and deliver it for free. I just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

And yes, no roll over protection... I like to live dangerously.

1striper1

Oh absolutely. I will basically follow the setup instructions to make sure the mower is assembled properly. When I make purchases like this I would rather it be delivered in a create from the manufacture.

I am happy with the purchase. I am just curious why Lowes was so hot to trot to get the mower off the floor, that they would knock $700 off the MSRP and deliver it for free. I just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

And yes, no roll over protection... I like to live dangerously.

Clearing out "old" inventory? Did you/can you get a serial number off of the unit? That will tell you when it was made.

Not unusual at all for them or any dealer to lower a price to move a unit. Especially if it's NOS (new old stock). Doesn't Lowes offer free deliver to most everybody? Some dealers will that I do know.

For us homeowners with level lots, ROPS isn't needed IMO. When I had my Hustler (and my next ZTR) the ROPS was down. I don't think we're living dangerously! :drink:

May I ask where in MN you live? Region?

K

Kelvininin

Clearing out "old" inventory? Did you/can you get a serial number off of the unit? That will tell you when it was made.

Not unusual at all for them or any dealer to lower a price to move a unit. Especially if it's NOS (new old stock). Doesn't Lowes offer free deliver to most everybody? Some dealers will that I do know.

For us homeowners with level lots, ROPS isn't needed IMO. When I had my Hustler (and my next ZTR) the ROPS was down. I don't think we're living dangerously! :drink:

May I ask where in MN you live? Region?

I will get the SN When the mower is delivered. This Lowes doesn't stock Hustler, it's special order only. As long as the guy wasn't yanking my chain, it was ordered, delivered to the store and was turned down for a larger mower.

I live in Corcoran, about 20 min northwest of Minneapolis. We are still in farm country but urban sprawl is headed our way.

I have yet to experience free delivery on anything in my area. According to the website, delivery would have been $80

1striper1

I will get the SSN When the mower is delivered. This Lowes doesn't stock Hustler, it's special order only. As long as the guy wasn't yanking my chain, it was ordered, delivered to the store and was turned down for a larger mower.

I live in Corcoran, about 20 min northwest of Minneapolis. We are still in farm country but urban sprawl is headed our way.

I have yet to experience free delivery on anything in my area. According to the website, delivery would have been $80

Yep I know where you are. Used to work for a company in Rogers.

As to the free delivery thing...well I guess it's area dependent?

This deck will have 3 blades and I'm guessing your Husky had two? I like a 3 blade deck better because when you are mowing a LH curve, some two blade decks will an uncut stripe of grass unless you slow way down.

The blade tip speed on ZTR's is FASTTTTTTTT....so a 3 blade deck is just cutting the beejesus outta the grass and you shouldn't experience anything like maybe you had on the 2 blade.

It's going to cut down your mowing time that's for sure.

R

rbstern

Hello,

I thought I would gather some incite on a recent experience at Lowes. I have been eye balling zero tern mowers for a while now, but was having a hard time justifying the cost. Well yesterday, my semi local lowes had a 52" Raptor sitting on the floor marked down from $2999 to $2699. This lowes usually only has the big name brand mowers on the floor. I was intrigued and checking the mower out.

Sales guy comes up we shoot the breeze about the mower for a while. The mower was brand new, never used, special order, the guy who ordered it wanted something bigger. We talked a little about the pricing and the guys says "how does $2299 delivered for free sound?" Uhhh.... Ok! So now I have new never used Hustler 52" Raptor being delivered on Monday.

Typically I have found that deals that sound too good to be true, are. So what am I missing here? Or did I actually get lucky?

It just seems odd to me that lowes would cut such a deal on a mower. I would imagine $2300 is pretty close to what lowes paid for the mower. Why would lowes be so desperate to get the unit off the floor?

Anyway, I am going to give it a shot and if it doesn't seem to work out I could probably sell it for what I have in it.

I'm considering that same mower. IMHO, you scored a great deal!

Very interested to read your impressions of it after you've had a chance to run it.

K

Kelvininin

The mower came today... Not overly impressed with Lowes delivery service but it was "free." I had to help manhandle the mower off the truck.

I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality. The mower is very well put together. I fired up the engine for the first time and wow! What nice sounding engine. I never worked with a two cylinder mower before, the engine just sounds cool.

After letting the engine fun for about 15 min as a run in, I took to dinking around in the driveway for a few min before I took to mowing the lawn. Took some getting use to. I tore of my yard a bit in places, but getting the technique down.

Best part is, it took, what use to take me three hours to mower, down to just one hour. I am pretty sure for most of the summer I won't have to trim but once every other mow.

So far very happy with the mower. Can't beat it for having the Kawi engine, and fabricated deck at this price.

Z

zmister11

The mower came today... Not overly impressed with Lowes delivery service but it was "free." I had to help manhandle the mower off the truck.

I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality. The mower is very well put together. I fired up the engine for the first time and wow! What nice sounding engine. I never worked with a two cylinder mower before, the engine just sounds cool.

After letting the engine fun for about 15 min as a run in, I took to dinking around in the driveway for a few min before I took to mowing the lawn. Took some getting use to. I tore of my yard a bit in places, but getting the technique down.

Best part is, it took, what use to take me three hours to mower, down to just one hour. I am pretty sure for most of the summer I won't have to trim but once every other mow.

So far very happy with the mower. Can't beat it for having the Kawi engine, and fabricated deck at this price.

Congrats on the new mower. It'll save you alot of time

Ric

Ric

I'm considering that same mower. IMHO, you scored a great deal!

Very interested to read your impressions of it after you've had a chance to run it.

Just FYI If your considering the Raptor its list price is $2799 at lowes, and that's what Hustler advertises them for, you can look it up online and its Blade tip speed is 16,600 on the 52" deck.

Ric

Ric

Hello,

Well to begin with the mower List for $2799 not $2999 so selling it for $2300 plus tax you really didn't get all that much of a break. You could have probably done as well at a dealer and had there service department. Most dealer will work with dropping there price because of the mark up on the mower.

PVHIII

PVHIII

Unless you like to lay on the ground scraping grass clippings from underneath your mower deck...DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER ON A RAPTOR!! JMO!

G

greeen

regarding digging up the lawn a bit...you will learn real fast not to let the inside/pivot tire sit in one place. Keep it moving forward or back when you turn. when you get to the end of the strip, either stop and turn in place (inside wheel going in reverse) or do a three point turn. You'll get the hang of it, just watch what that inside wheel is doing.

K

Kelvininin

Well to begin with the mower List for $2799 not $2999 so selling it for $2300 plus tax you really didn't get all that much of a break. You could have probably done as well at a dealer and had there service department. Most dealer will work with dropping there price because of the mark up on the mower.

I don't know what Lowes website you're looking at but according to the Lowes website links below, for the 52" deck it's $2999, for the 42" deck is $2799.

Shop Hustler Raptor V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 52-in Zero-Turn Lawn Mower with Kawasaki Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com
Shop Hustler Raptor V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 42-in Zero-Turn Lawn Mower with Kawasaki Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com

I called around to my local dealers, no was was willing to come down from the list price for a 2015 mower. The manufacture date on my mower is 4/20/2015. The list price, according to my local dealers for a 52" deck is $2999.

Here is an example of one of the local dealers.
Hustler Zero Turn Residential Raptor 42"& 52" Lawn Mower

As for service departments. I started driving in 1994. I have always bought, paid for, and serviced my own vehicles. The only one that has been back to dealer for warranty work was my 2011 F150 which had a turbo replaced under warranty. I do 99.9% of my own work on everything I own, and in the rare instance I pay for work to be done for me, I regret it. So, I just do my own work. Parts are available online for a fraction of the cost of local dealers. If I had the expendable income I would consider supporting my local dealers, but I have a family of 5 to support, I can't afford to send someone elses kids to college.

K

Kelvininin

Just FYI If your considering the Raptor its list price is $2799 at lowes, and that's what Hustler advertises them for, you can look it up online and its Blade tip speed is 16,600 on the 52" deck.

Maybe down there in FL but up here in MN is $2999.

Shop Hustler Raptor V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 52-in Zero-Turn Lawn Mower with Kawasaki Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com

K

Kelvininin

Unless you like to lay on the ground scraping grass clippings from underneath your mower deck...DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER ON A RAPTOR!! JMO!

That is not a problem I am experiencing on my Raptor.

PVHIII

PVHIII

That is not a problem I am experiencing on my Raptor.
That's just one of the problems with this mower... I have a Fast Trak SD that I bought when I took my Raptor back for a refund.. I paid twice as much for this mower however it's more than twice the mower of the Raptor...I wouldn't own anything but a Hustler but a Raptor is a box store quality mower at best and Hustler is hurting their brand with this line of mowers... after seeing the 2015 models I'm not impressed with direction Hustler is moving towards at least with their Fast Trak models anyway... Glad I have 2014 model...I do wish you the best of luck with your mower.

PVHIII

PVHIII

I'd be willin to bet that most dealers stop carrying these mowers since the box stores are selling them...when I took mine back (wish we would have took my mom in law's back as well)..my dealer was not happy with these mowers and said he considering not selling them due to all the complaints/issues he was having with them...the Raptor is for small Residential yards only and won't hold up under rough mowing conditions... I had belts squeaking/coming off...edge of deck caught a tree stob that was hidden under leaves and bent the deck brackets.. My Troy-Built lawn tractor had stronger deck mounting brackets and wouldn't have bent that easily...I don't care if the deck is fabricated if it isn't mounted properly it's useless... If the deck isn't hanging on chains don't buy it...JMO ;-)

PVHIII

PVHIII

I will add that the SD model looks to be a much better built mower... Especially as far as the deck mounts are concerned.

K

Kelvininin

That's just one of the problems with this mower... I have a Fast Trak SD that I bought when I took my Raptor back for a refund.. I paid twice as much for this mower however it's more than twice the mower of the Raptor...I wouldn't own anything but a Hustler but a Raptor is a box store quality mower at best and Hustler is hurting their brand with this line of mowers... after seeing the 2015 models I'm not impressed with direction Hustler is moving towards at least with their Fast Trak models anyway... Glad I have 2014 model...I do wish you the best of luck with your mower.

It's unfortunate that you had issues with your raptor. I ended up with the Raptor basically because I couldn't afford anything else at the time. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Toro during toro days which would have put me on a zero turn for $2800. The Tore being a residential grade mower at best. The Raptor is a residential grade mower, so expecting to live up to what the commercial grade mowers are capable of is a little ridiculous. I came off of a 42" Husqvarna lawn tractor, it took all of three hours to mow my 1.3 acres. On the raptor it takes me less than one hour. I am as happy as a fat kid in a candy store, with the raptor. Looking at the build quality of the Raptor, it will last me a good long time. I have been researching zero turns for months. It seems the people having the most issues with the raptor are coming off of commercial grade mowers, or expecting the Raptor to live up to commercial style duty.

I had basically given up on the prospect of buying a zero turn, due to the cost, and was going to just stick to the 3 hours mowing commitment. Then lowes offered me $700 off of the Raptor I know own. That deal was just too good to pass up. Already had a neighbor offer me $2800 for the raptor. Typically cash isn't so tight for us, but we are unexpectedly expecting twins. MN is one of the most expensive states in the union for daycare.

Would I buy the raptor again? Absolutely. Will I ever consider upgrading to a commercial grade mower? For this lawn, probably not. But with the Kawi motor, and fabricated deck, I expect to get 20 years or more out of this mower.

PVHIII

PVHIII

It's unfortunate that you had issues with your raptor. I ended up with the Raptor basically because I couldn't afford anything else at the time. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Toro during toro days which would have put me on a zero turn for $2800. The Tore being a residential grade mower at best. The Raptor is a residential grade mower, so expecting to live up to what the commercial grade mowers are capable of is a little ridiculous. I came off of a 42" Husqvarna lawn tractor, it took all of three hours to mow my 1.3 acres. On the raptor it takes me less than one hour. I am as happy as a fat kid in a candy store, with the raptor. Looking at the build quality of the Raptor, it will last me a good long time. I have been researching zero turns for months. It seems the people having the most issues with the raptor are coming off of commercial grade mowers, or expecting the Raptor to live up to commercial style duty.

I had basically given up on the prospect of buying a zero turn, due to the cost, and was going to just stick to the 3 hours mowing commitment. Then lowes offered me $700 off of the Raptor I know own. That deal was just too good to pass up. Already had a neighbor offer me $2800 for the raptor. Typically cash isn't so tight for us, but we are unexpectedly expecting twins. MN is one of the most expensive states in the union for daycare.

Would I buy the raptor again? Absolutely. Will I ever consider upgrading to a commercial grade mower? For this lawn, probably not. But with the Kawi motor, and fabricated deck, I expect to get 20 years or more out of this mower.
I can definitely understand having to shop on a budget...if it wasn't for Hustler's 48 month 0% interest financing I wouldn't own my Fast Trak SD...payment on the Raptor was about $78 a month and on my Fast Trak SD is $121 a month..to me it was well worth it...The dealer knew I was wanting a mower that would hold up because my Troy-built tractor style mower wasn't under rough mowing conditions and should have up-sold me on the Fast Trak SD which he could have easily done by pointing out how much more mower I would be gettin for a small difference in payment.

PVHIII

PVHIII

How big is your yard and how rough is it?...If you don't mind me asking...that was hell of a deal on that mower I might add.

K

Kelvininin

I can definitely understand having to shop on a budget...if it wasn't for Hustler's 48 month 0% interest financing I wouldn't own my Fast Trak SD...payment on the Raptor was about $78 a month and on my Fast Trak SD is $121 a month..to me it was well worth it...The dealer knew I was wanting a mower that would hold up because my Troy-built tractor style mower wasn't under rough mowing conditions and should have up-sold me on the Fast Trak SD which he could have easily done by pointing out how much more mower I would be gettin for a small difference in payment.

Oh thats the other thing, I paid cash for the Raptor. Daycare is going to run us $600/week with all three kids. Taking on debt right now simply isn't an option and we still need to buy a minivan. My lawn is fairly flat, where it is graded is pretty gradual, but I do have about 20 mature trees and another 4 growing. The zero turns maneuverability is a big factor is cutting down my mowing time. I'm happy you found a mower that works for you.

This time of the year I have to mow twice a week. Its takes me 2 hours total with the raptor, where I use to spend 6 hours. More time for me with the family and fixing the rest of the stuff that breaks at this old house.

K

Kelvininin

How big is your yard and how rough is it?...If you don't mind me asking...that was hell of a deal on that mower I might add.

Thanks! I have 1.3 acres, with about 20 mature trees, some landscaping. There is open space in the back yard that was once a volleyball court, its a little rough and I have to slow down on. Otherwise I can mow most of the law and full speed. My lawn has a lot of gradual grades, but only one spot where the grade gets a little scary with the raptor, but it takes one pass to mow that spot.

If I have a much bigger rougher yard, I can see where a heavier mower would come it to play. My brother has 10 acres and mowes with a 60" John Dear he paid more for than my first three cars combined.