Export thread

To remove, or not remove...

T

Tudorp

Hey guys... I am going to remove the spindle covers. Gonna do it anyway, but interested in opinions, or concerns I am not thinking of. The reason I am removing them, is because IMHO, these do nothing but collect leaves, grass, dirt and moisture and hold it around the pulleys. Removed, they can be cleaned easily after each use, AND in sight to be able to keep an eye on any up-coming issues with them. Sure, they are there for protection, but with them on, or off, the area needs to be avoided anyway, and your feet or using the deck as a step is a no-no anyway. Anyone else run their with these covers deleted?
IMG_3887.jpg

Boobala

Boobala

I'm one of "those" that believe if, the factory boys spent the money to put em on there, then it was done for a good reason, ( I would guess, to keep dirt, moisture and possibly HUMAN components OUT ) TOTAL GUESS on my part !!

T

Tudorp

I'm one of those that are always voiding warranties within 30 minutes of owning something.. lol. The wife always gets onto me about feeling the need to modify stuff. lol. If it were "sealed" I could see the need and it would keep moisture and debris out, but it isn't sealed. Its open on the inside (obviously), and it isn't going to keep out anything other than maybe body parts.. lol. If anything, I can see that it would hold debris in there. I just like the idea of being easy to clean out after each use with them off, and like the idea of being able to see what is going on there at a glance. I have always had that mentality of "I can make it better..." lol. I would assume the manufacture has to put things like that on to avoid liabilities. if they didn't, and someone was stupid enough to stick an appendage in a spinning pulley they would be the type to be the first to sue someone because of their own dumbassness.. lol

Boobala

Boobala

I'm one of those that are always voiding warranties within 30 minutes of owning something.. lol. The wife always gets onto me about feeling the need to modify stuff. lol. If it were "sealed" I could see the need and it would keep moisture and debris out, but it isn't sealed. Its open on the inside (obviously), and it isn't going to keep out anything other than maybe body parts.. lol. If anything, I can see that it would hold debris in there. I just like the idea of being easy to clean out after each use with them off, and like the idea of being able to see what is going on there at a glance. I have always had that mentality of "I can make it better..." lol. I would assume the manufacture has to put things like that on to avoid liabilities. if they didn't, and someone was stupid enough to stick an appendage in a spinning pulley they would be the type to be the first to sue someone because of their own dumbassness.. lol

In reality we all know why they're on there, to cover THEIR arse's ( liability ) .. protecting US from OURSELVES , I'm meaning the "nood-nicks" among us of course !..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Ronno6

Check out post #17 here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...rst-Modification-Chute/page2?highlight=guards

Max has done a nice job on those........
Ends the clipping accumulation without removing the guards' effectiveness.
He outlined the procedure a few posts later.
I'm gonna do that to mine.......

Ronno6

Ronno6

In reality we all know why they're on there, to cover THEIR arse's ( liability ) .. protecting US from OURSELVES , I'm meaning the "nood-nicks" among us of course !..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boo, you're a cynic, and I refuse to cynic to your level.........

Boobala

Boobala

Boo, you're a cynic, and I refuse to cynic to your level.........

You're so full of "hot-air", you couldn't "sync" if ya held on to the Titanic when she was going down..:laughing:..:laughing:

B

bertsmobile1

They serve several purposes.
1) Stops big things that can jamb or throw the belt
2) stops you putting your hands / foot on the belt and having them jambed in the pulley ( for those who like to emove safety devices )
3) reduce the chances of a deck fire

On my Toro I only added 2 small 1/2" holes per cover, down low. This still protects, & when blowing it off I can see in there, & if necessary aim my blower at those holes & blow it out.

Warranty, I gots no warranty.

B

bertsmobile1

On my Toro I only added 2 small 1/2" holes per cover, down low. This still protects, & when blowing it off I can see in there, & if necessary aim my blower at those holes & blow it out.

Warranty, I gots no warranty.

The JD Edge decks also have blow out holes.
Works best if you use a long air duster as you can get them 2' to 4' long.

T

Tudorp

They serve several purposes.
1) Stops big things that can jamb or throw the belt
2) stops you putting your hands / foot on the belt and having them jambed in the pulley ( for those who like to emove safety devices )
3) reduce the chances of a deck fire

One question though. How the heck would they reduce chance of a deck fire? Don't understand that one. The reason I consider removing them is because I read somewhere, where a guy had a belt jumping off due to crap getting built up in there and pushing the belt off. I think he needed to clean it out more often to prevent that, but none the less, it caused a problem. Holding grass, dirt and debris in there around your pulley is what I don't like. That would hold moisture in there risking early rust. Also, I like the idea of it being open for ease of keeping it clean, and for constant monitoring for any issues before they become issues. Sure, safety has to be thought about even more so with exposed spinning parts, so you can't let your guard down. But, you shouldn't let your guard down regardless. I do think they are put on there, and should be put on there by the manufacture to prevent liabilities for lack of paying attention of the operator. Anytime my mower or any equipment is running, my alertness is on point (or at least it should be). Not that I have never let my guard down, but the times I have, generally ended up in something breaking, or someone getting hurt (usually me). I understand the reason for them. But I feel there is more benefit with them not on there as long as you are aware of the dangers that could arise due to not paying attention. But the fire thing, I don't get.

Ronno6

Ronno6

Here's the pics of the holy guards:
DSC04687.JPGDSC04688.JPG

They serve all purposes well..........

T

Tudorp

View attachment 35142View attachment 35143

Did you modify those? or they came like that? I have thought about doing something similar to my guards. I am thinking about cutting a hole in the top, smaller than the pulley, but large enough to see the hubs at a glance. I like the holes on the sides like that, and may think about the one on top, and side holes. A "cage" of sorts.

Boobala

Boobala

I'll agree with the drilled holes version, removal, NO, I think NOT ! BETTER to replace a belt, pulley or spindle than a foot, toe, or fingers/hand !! A few minutes more work, beats the hell out of a long-time / life-time of regret !!..:2cents:

Ronno6

Ronno6

Did you modify those? or they came like that? I have thought about doing something similar to my guards. I am thinking about cutting a hole in the top, smaller than the pulley, but large enough to see the hubs at a glance. I like the holes on the sides like that, and may think about the one on top, and side holes. A "cage" of sorts.

See post #5 for the link
Just click on the line of green type and it should take you right there...........

B

bertsmobile1

One question though. How the heck would they reduce chance of a deck fire? Don't understand that one. The reason I consider removing them is because I read somewhere, where a guy had a belt jumping off due to crap getting built up in there and pushing the belt off. I think he needed to clean it out more often to prevent that, but none the less, it caused a problem. Holding grass, dirt and debris in there around your pulley is what I don't like. That would hold moisture in there risking early rust. Also, I like the idea of it being open for ease of keeping it clean, and for constant monitoring for any issues before they become issues. Sure, safety has to be thought about even more so with exposed spinning parts, so you can't let your guard down. But, you shouldn't let your guard down regardless. I do think they are put on there, and should be put on there by the manufacture to prevent liabilities for lack of paying attention of the operator. Anytime my mower or any equipment is running, my alertness is on point (or at least it should be). Not that I have never let my guard down, but the times I have, generally ended up in something breaking, or someone getting hurt (usually me). I understand the reason for them. But I feel there is more benefit with them not on there as long as you are aware of the dangers that could arise due to not paying attention. But the fire thing, I don't get.

Well the best mowers have complete guards, not just end caps and those mowers get amazing belt life.
With the guards on debris will build up under the guard, but it packs in tight and block off any vents if fitted.
The grass under the guard tends to rot I have even seed seed germinating under a guard.
Without the guards debris sits in the air and dries out hen friction from the belt rubbing on it will make it smoulder and the draughts caused by the blades spinning till fan the smouldering grass till it catches.
The above is for people cutting wet green grass.

Down here all of the large expanses are sunburned & dry if not dead.
I have already done 2 decks that started to burn and neither of them had any belt guards fitted.
In this case the grass had just covered the entire deck and burst into flame,
The Cub has a quick release deck & the owner just dropped the deck & rode away as the burning deck started a grass fire which ended up burning about 200 acres cause the grass was very dry.
The second was a commercial mower a Toro Z Master so the deck does not quick release . The owner tried to get it some water to put the fire out, but it got the better of him.
As luck would happen all he lost was the deck fittings a lot of paint , a bit of the seat one front wheel & the wires .
He has been involved in mower fires before so had the sense to drive out backwards to keep the fire on the deck & away from the fuel tanks.

Never had a mower in with a deck fire that had all the belt guards fitted.

So it is hoses for courses, but both of them keep their mowers clean and both had removed the guards so they could blow them down with leaf blowers after each use.

The JD Edge decks also have blow out holes.
Works best if you use a long air duster as you can get them 2' to 4' long.

Thanks Bert- didn't know that about the JD Edges. I like the smaller 2 holes on each cover, too small for any of my fingers to even fit into.

I have made a long air duster outta a piece of brake line brazed to a quick connect fitting to my compressor.

T

Tudorp

On the fire thing, that does make more sense now. But, also, this is the reason I plan to remove or at least modify the covers so I can and will keep it clear of grass. I think I like the idea above on modifying the cover which is what I am now leaning toward.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Thanks Ronno!

Found out from Hustler it doesn't hurt your warranty. I would not be at all surprised if you don't see this on the 2018 models about ready to ship out. I received some very nice compliments from the two factory reps that asked for the photos to see what and how I did mine. Two dealers also sent them photos from my belt covers then started drilling them for customers for the very low rate as an optional upgrade. They just switch the covers at time of sale from what I understand. It is an upgrade.

So far, I have not been able to clog those pulleys and belts since I drilled mine. Before, you had to chisel the clippings out of the covers if you left them for multiple mowing.

I got the idea from jersey577 from his opening up all the way round on the bottom. However, I felt a small child would like to feel the rotating pulleys or stick something in them in the event the child may managed to make their way close enough to do so while the belts are engaged. Can never be too careful.

Max

mhavanti

mhavanti

You won't need any holes on the top. In fact, I think that may even negate some of the benefits to the side exhaust holes. At this time, those holes discharge and grass coming up and over from the front can't settle into the holes as the wind coming from them is quite high. Holes in the top may be similar to an intake after the belt has begun its turn toward the backside of the pulley filling the groove causing a vacuum toward the top. Since I'm not going to test this theory, it very well may be totally wrong.

Just remember, laminar air flow has a tendency to move more air than turbulent air flow. Meaning, open the top, you'll allow more turbulence.

Good luck fellas in drilling and using the upgraded belt guards.

Merry Christmas and have a very Happy Hustler New Year!

Max

mhavanti

mhavanti

Didn't you mean Max's Holy Grail Guards? lol

Max

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

A lot of the JD decks come with only the left side guard on and that one has to be on there.... If it is off it will throw the belt off.... It acts as a belt guide and keeper ~!~!

K

kraky

I think it is Deere's new accel deep deck now have the guards on spring loaded hinges kind of like a mouse trap... lift them and blow them out and let them go back down.... pretty neat idea...simple... not that expensive and a great selling point.

D

Darryl G

My covers stay on. It takes all of 10 seconds to blast any debris out with a blower.

Tomster

Tomster

I have used someone's mod that has wing nuts to allow for easier removal of the guards. I was also just thinking that one 5/8 hole at the end would allow an air nozzle to get in there and blow it out.

B

bertsmobile1

I have used someone's mod that has wing nuts to allow for easier removal of the guards. I was also just thinking that one 5/8 hole at the end would allow an air nozzle to get in there and blow it out.

Quite right.
I drill a couple of 3/8" holes at the end and use a long air duster.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Reason I did the multi hole version is no sense to drag out a air hose if you already use a blower to clean off the drive, just hit the end with the blower if you see something in there. Since the multi hole modification, I never see anything in there anymore.

If you're using compressed air, that will work as well.

Whatever works for you is a good modification.

Max

G

gene_stl

I am not a safety nazi nor a lowest common denominator kinda guy. I mostly make all my own decisions regarding safety matters after due consideration.

However this thread does make me want to mention what happens when a human limb of some kind tries occupy space that belongs to a rubber belt and pulley driven by a 20 plus horsepower gasoline engine.

It is called a degloving injury and all the flesh gets torn off the bone which later has to be amputated. I worked in a machine shop in college and there was a guy there who had that happen to him on a farm. He had a huge index finger and thumb, the flesh having been stripped from his other three fingers. This happened in the forties or fifties after wwii so I am sure there was no safety anything. Later in life I had a career in the orthopedic injury area.

Therefore when I remove belt guards to clean underneath I tend to replace them, eventually. It's just safer that way. I do like the notion of drilling them and may try that on my fleep-up.

Google "degloving injury" to read more about them if you are interested in looking at some gory stuff.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I own Max Hughes Machine. I am adamant that my folks and any visitors are properly protected from doing stupid things because as far as I can understand, machines have absolutely no understanding of the damages they may do to us humans and to be honest, I don't think they would care.

Loose clothing, ties, even gloves can help a lathe suck you into the turning chuck or piece being cut. Not a pretty sight at all. Drill presses are the most dangerous for the unsuspecting as everyone wants to slam down their work piece, go to drilling without securing the part to the table. It is amazing how fast the part can become a spinning, flying object that is looking for a victim.

Mowers are simply another way of doing harm to one's self. One of my old old mentors always said: "Stupid is as stupid does." Boyeeeeeeee was he right.

Guards can save a finger or toe and it may be your own.

Max

K

Kremeneon

After a few install/removes the bolts on my covers started to get buggered up. So I bought new longer ones and installed them from the underside of the deck and put a nut on top of the deck to secure them, then I put on the covers and used a wingnut to secure each location. Now the shrouds are spaced up off the deck by the thickness of the nut on each side, this is a nice enough gap to get air from my blower in there and get most of the grass out. What fails to be removed can be easily accessed by spinning the wingnuts off.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Kreme,

Necessity is the momma of all inventions. If it works for you, run with it. Keep the pointy end away from you and especially if momma is looking. lol

Max