Export thread

Timing Question

1buddy

Will a 24 hp twin briggs engine crank if the timing(cam/crank gear) dots are a couple of teeth off?

cpurvis

cpurvis

How could you tell that the cam and crank are incorrectly timed? Or do you know they are, or are you just suggesting a possible reason as to why your engine won't crank?

Geared cam-to-crank timing does not change unless something breaks.

R

Rivets

To answer your question, yes the engine will turn over with the timing marks not aligned. Will it start, probably not.

1buddy

I removed the crank gear to ease replacement of the new governor gear, and I was thinking I may not have aligned the dots up correctly on reassembly as now the engine turns but will not crank. Have spark and fuel but will not start up.

R

Rivets

If in doubt, check it out. This will be your first step in troubleshooting you problem.

B

bertsmobile1

Stick a pencil down the plug hole and watch the movements of the valve with respect to the position of the piston.
Anything more than 1 tooth out will be obvious.
1 tooth out and the engine should fire but not run or pop & wheese backfiring all over the place.

And it helps if we use the same song book
crank = revolve
fire = run
catch = start

1buddy

All is well now,just had a badly flooded engine, let engine set overnite,and the next morning it started right up. Governor is working properly now but engine still seems to be idling a bit to fast, set the governor staticly using briggs manual instructions,and adjusting the carb idle screw but does no good, any suggestions .