Export thread

Throttle Cable Lever Moves

davbell22602

davbell22602

1105-01
9705125A
18hp Lhead twin Briggs

Throttle lever on cable slides down on it own when its all the way up on fast.

reddragon

reddragon

do you mean the throttle decreases or the sheathing separates from the cable?

davbell22602

davbell22602

Throttle decreases half down or more by itself when throttle is on fast.

reddragon

reddragon

take a few pictures of both ends of the cable and well se what we can find..:thumbsup:

davbell22602

davbell22602

Here's the pics

S5004094.jpg

S5004095.jpg

S5004096.jpg

reddragon

reddragon

great pics!....ive had that type of cable break loose at the throttle lever end before[ its just crimped in].....move the lever back and fro and see if the black plastic sheathing comes out of that housing.....also that spring on the other end looks a little beat....some PB BLASTER down on the governor end might free it up a bit too [ cant hurt]

reddragon

reddragon

i just noticed that the one end of the cable is black plastic and the other is steel wire wrapped....are you sure they're the same cable??

davbell22602

davbell22602

great pics!....ive had that type of cable break loose at the throttle lever end before[ its just crimped in].....move the lever back and fro and see if the black plastic sheathing comes out of that housing.....also that spring on the other end looks a little beat....some PB BLASTER down on the governor end might free it up a bit too [ cant hurt]

You mean the spring that has the torx/star bit screw going down in it?

i just noticed that the one end of the cable is black plastic and the other is steel wire wrapped....are you sure they're the same cable??

Same cable

reddragon

reddragon

i have exactly the same engine and governor set up as you....i was just out there looking at mine.....there should be 2 return springs on that linkage assembly...make sure they're still connected.......check to make sure your cable clamps are holding that little guy in place

davbell22602

davbell22602

i have exactly the same engine and governor set up as you....i was just out there looking at mine.....there should be 2 return springs on that linkage assembly...make sure they're still connected.......check to make sure your cable clamps are holding that little guy in place

Springs are in working order. I wonder if its caused by the engine speed being to high? I was trying to adjust it but I all I could find was the idle speed screw and just found the other one under the fuel pump. But who sells a inexpensive tach for 1 or 2 cylinder engines.

reddragon

reddragon

you can try one of these types.... digital tachometer | eBay .....is this a new problem?.....im kinda thinking the governor end of things might be dragging the throttle back down

davbell22602

davbell22602

you can try one of these types.... digital tachometer | eBay .....is this a new problem?.....im kinda thinking the governor end of things might be dragging the throttle back down

It might be relate cause th engine acts if running too fast when its on fast. I tried adjusting the throttle cable but no luck.

reddragon

reddragon

i could take a little video of mine running and working and then you can compare it to how yours is working

davbell22602

davbell22602

Ok. Go ahead do that video. Thanks

reddragon

reddragon

ill get it a later today when it warms up:thumbsup:......theres actullay frost on my roof this morn:eek:

reddragon

reddragon

ok....the video is crap......but i was trying to hold a camera and flashlight and throttle at the same time....i needed a helper on this one....unfortunately MTD's dont have flip up hoods so i cant get a better angle......try and see if you see anything helpful...:confused2:

davbell22602

davbell22602

I dont see anything right now.

reddragon

reddragon

i didnt load the last time:confused2:.......well.. here it is

davbell22602

davbell22602

i didnt load the last time:confused2:.......well.. here it is

Still no video

reddragon

reddragon

maybe this one is better...im completely blind when im doing this....the camera can see alot better than i can.... B&S 18.5hp opposed twin throttle and governor - YouTube

davbell22602

davbell22602

The only thing I saw was yours has the long rod and lever on clutch pedal side of the piece that moves up and down when using the throttle cable. Mine doesnt have that or mine has different setup. Gonna have to check the parts diagram.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I couldnt see anything in part diagram on mine in different setup. I'll do video of mine running tomorrow afternoon(eastern time) or Saturday.

reddragon

reddragon

sounds good..:thumbsup: