Thoughts on the Kubota 222 ZTR?!?

TnDirtDigger

Forum Newbie
Threads
.....I have not seen a lot of talk,"good or bad", on the Kubota 222 ZTR.....is it a pretty good unit?....Let me introduce myself as well....I'm George aka TnDirtDigger.....retired Army....and just plain tired....I bought a new JD 318 in 1990......been rode hard and put away wet way too many times. What a great mower, however, it's time for a rebuild. I did recently buy a pre-owned Kubota 222. Seems to do ok....There are things I like about the ZTR, but there are alot of things I prefer on my ole 318.....Like to know what the rep is on the 222. I looked prior to purchase, but didn't find much. Don't cut no slack...I have thick skin and an off button:laughing:

robert

Threads
Tn, I am am a former zt owner and much prefer the GT I have now; you seem to imply there are drawbacks to zero turns and I am curious as to your thoughts.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will love the Kubota ZTR... that's a nice compact & maneuverable mower... I know someone with the diesel model... I think its a ZD221... :smile:KennyV

TnDirtDigger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tn, I am am a former zt owner and much prefer the GT I have now; you seem to imply there are drawbacks to zero turns and I am curious as to your thoughts.

Sometimes its' hard to teach old dogs new tricks....Everyone is telling me I'll never go back to a Lawntractor after I get use to the ZT, and the more I use it, the more I like it. However, there are places I haven't been able to mow with the ZT.....especially the wet/hilly parts of my yard (I have 3 springs). The JD 318 pretty much cuts these areas without a problem, mostly because of the dual independent rear brakes, which the ztr does not have. I really miss the brakes....The ZTR just does'nt have the traction my 318 has....on the other hand, I just mowed a friends yard that has a major incline that I don't think my 318 could handle, but the ZTR ate it up. My 318 leaves a prettier cut by far, but I think that is due to the blade rpms. I think the blade rpm on the Kubota is way to low. Its' easy to out run the blades.....So far the ZTR is slowly winning me over...but the 318 is still ticking, but needs a rebuild this winter...I guess I will keep both.....for now.

robert

Threads
Tnks, on which do you feel better; physically?