Export thread

This is my Husq 625EX. It is new. It will not start. Advice sorely needed

T

Texas

Hey Yall'', about at my wits end and hoping for some experts advice.

My Husqvarna 625ex is 3 months old.
It has been started and ran ONCE.
3 weeks ago it would not start after sitting for 2 months.
I called Husqyavrna and was told it is covered under warranty, but I would need to find a person who did the work and pay their diagnostic fees. Here in Texas that is about $50-75 and a 4-5 week wait.

I have drained the gas and replaced it with Tru-Fuel. No Start.
Replaced the Spark Plug - No Start.
Removed the 'mini' screen/filter under the carb (Big hex screw plug) and cleaned it. No Start.

While I am a competent person, I do not have any experience with small motors and am looking for any direction or advice for troubleshooting.

Super grateful for any help. - Texas

mower_1.jpg
mower_2.jpg
mower_3.jpg

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Remove the air filter and spray some starting fluid into the carb throat. Try to start the mower and post back with the results.

T

Texas

Thank you. Can you recommend a starting fluid spray? And I am not exactly sure what the 'carb throat' is. My apologies.
And remove only the air filter, or the the air filter housing as well?

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Thank you. Can you recommend a starting fluid spray? And I am not exactly sure what the 'carb throat' is. My apologies.

It doesn't matter what brand of starting fluid you use. I use whatever the local auto parts store sells. :laughing:

Take off the air filter cover and air filter. You will see two circular openings. The bottom one is the carb throat. The choke plate will be blocking it, push on one side (I think it's the right side) of the choke plate to open it. Then spray some starting fluid down past the choke plate and try to start the mower.

I have attached a picture with the carb throat circled in yellow.

carb throat.JPG

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Hey Yall'', about at my wits end and hoping for some experts advice.

My Husqvarna 625ex is 3 months old.
It has been started and ran ONCE.
3 weeks ago it would not start after sitting for 2 months.
I called Husqyavrna and was told it is covered under warranty, but I would need to find a person who did the work and pay their diagnostic fees. Here in Texas that is about $50-75 and a 4-5 week wait.

I have drained the gas and replaced it with Tru-Fuel. No Start.
Replaced the Spark Plug - No Start.
Removed the 'mini' screen/filter under the carb (Big hex screw plug) and cleaned it. No Start.

While I am a competent person, I do not have any experience with small motors and am looking for any direction or advice for troubleshooting.

Super grateful for any help. - Texas

View attachment 28346
View attachment 28347
View attachment 28348

Husqvarna are not the ones doing the warranty but Briggs themselves.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/dealer-locator.html

Try this.

T

Texas

It doesn't matter what brand of starting fluid you use. I use whatever the local auto parts store sells. :laughing:

Take off the air filter cover and air filter. You will see two circular openings. The bottom one is the carb throat. The choke plate will be blocking it, push on one side (I think it's the right side) of the choke plate to open it. Then spray some starting fluid down past the choke plate and try to start the mower.

View attachment 28349

Thank you! I'll report back this afternoon or the morning! REALLY appreciate the next step.

T

Texas

Husqvarna are not the ones doing the warranty but Briggs themselves.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/dealer-locator.html

Try this.

Thank you. Yes, that is what Husqvarna told me. B&S service warranty. There is a multi-week wait and a $50-75 diagnostic charge to troubleshoot a brand new mower. While I understand, it does frustrate me.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Thank you. Yes, that is what Husqvarna told me. B&S service warranty. There is a multi-week wait and a $50-75 diagnostic charge to troubleshoot a brand new mower. While I understand, it does frustrate me.

Somebody is telling you porkies as you shouldn't be charged anything as long as it is under warranty even diagnosis time.
They could charge you if they find that its stale fuel or dirty carb that's the problem.

This time of year is busy so maybe a queue. At the moment we are at a 3 week turn around.

T

Texas

Somebody is telling you porkies as you shouldn't be charged anything as long as it is under warranty even diagnosis time.
They could charge you if they find that its stale fuel or dirty carb that's the problem.

This time of year is busy so maybe a queue. At the moment we are at a 3 week turn around.

Thank you, agreed. Although here at least in Texas, all 'warranty repair' service centers are independently owned and work as independent contractors having complete control of what they charge outside of the warranty repair.

T

Texas

View attachment 28349

OK. Starting fluid applied. And the engine rolled over! For a second and then died. But at least it rolled over. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, same thing. Rolling over for a second each time fluid is applied, but not staying alive.

Do have a suggested next step?

Many thanks again for your knowledge.

B

bertsmobile1

Check that the cut off solenoid unde the carb is working.
It should give a reasonable click. on and off as you turn the ignition on & off.
If your ears are not as good as they used to be you should also be able to feel it but unless you are cover with orange hair you will need another person to work the switch.:smile:

You can also remove the float bowl under the carb but put a catch dish under it to catch the fuel.
You are looking for dark coloured foul smelling fuel or water.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

OK. Starting fluid applied. And the engine rolled over! For a second and then died. But at least it rolled over. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, same thing. Rolling over for a second each time fluid is applied, but not staying alive.

Do have a suggested next step?

Many thanks again for your knowledge.

I would say you need to remove the carb and give it a clean due to stale fuel so you may get charged at a dealer.
Try you tube for videos on how to do it.

T

Texas

Check that the cut off solenoid unde the carb is working.
It should give a reasonable click. on and off as you turn the ignition on & off.
If your ears are not as good as they used to be you should also be able to feel it but unless you are cover with orange hair you will need another person to work the switch.:smile:

You can also remove the float bowl under the carb but put a catch dish under it to catch the fuel.
You are looking for dark coloured foul smelling fuel or water.

Thank you. It does not have an ignition switch. The fuel has been emptied and replaced with Tru-Fuel. Multiple times. The float has been cleaned. (Orange hair?)

I would say you need to remove the carb and give it a clean due to stale fuel so you may get charged at a dealer.
Try you tube for videos on how to do it.

OK, thank you. I'll see what I can find. It surprises me that one single tank of fuel on a brand new motor clogged my carb. I am not doubting it, it just say's a whole lot about this mower as my fuel was no more than 2 months old. My last Yard Machine lasted 10 years, maintenance free on the same fuel.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

You do have an ignition switch, but perhaps I should have said key switch or start switch.
When you turn the mower on the switch puts 12V into the fuel cut off solenoid which shuts off the fuel when you turn the engine off.
If it dosent open , you get no fuel past the float bowl to flow into the main jet.
And a single tank of bad fuel can gunk up the solenoid.
Also a hungry rodent can take a munch on the wires to the solenoid and that of course happens over night.

Orange hair ?

You can not have one hand on the solenoid and the other on the key switch unless you have extreamly long arms as would be found on a fellow primate with orange hair that swings from trees.

This isnt a tractor but a walk behind mower with no battery which of course dont have a solenoid.
Its briggs new 625ex series engine which is replacing the quantum.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Bert, this is a push mower. It does not have a fuel cutoff solenoid.

B

bertsmobile1

Shall place the other foot in mouth and hobble off on knees to practice my model searching skills.
Quick replies allowed me to remove confusing incorrect irrevilant previous post.
Thank you all

M

motoman

I think Bert was suggesting an orange haired primate with really long arms who could thus both turn the key and be at the carb solenoid at the same time. This animal is know in Indonesia as the wise old man...the Orangutan. The reason I can suggest this is that I speak Australian.

T

Texas

Update: Mower still will not start. Husqvarna customer service form the very beginning was possibly the worst in the game in as far as my own family's purchasing history. Sell you the mower (has their name on it anyway) but are free to wash their hands of your problem immediately as the warranty/repair falls on the maker of the engine (the engine being the likely cause of failed motor start) The engine company have their own processes you have to deal follow.

As it turns out after reading review after review today... we saw the same story over and over. Customer bought the 625ex (625 AWD), worked on day one and never started again. This mower model, although only a year in production has been discontinued and alot of folks are left to do what they can.

Me, I am selling my new mower for $20. Grateful to be rid of it and absolutely grateful never to purchase Husqvarna again. Perhaps it is industry norm, but what a disgraceful customer service model Husqvarna has in my opinion. Just baffles me they will be able to sustain it with today's review outlets.

Thanks for the help ya'll. Really appreciate it.

BlazNT

BlazNT

This is the name of the game any more. I have heard the same story from John Deere owners.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Update: Mower still will not start. Husqvarna customer service form the very beginning was possibly the worst in the game in as far as my own family's purchasing history. Sell you the mower (has their name on it anyway) but are free to wash their hands of your problem immediately as the warranty/repair falls on the maker of the engine (the engine being the likely cause of failed motor start) The engine company have their own processes you have to deal follow.

As it turns out after reading review after review today... we saw the same story over and over. Customer bought the 625ex (625 AWD), worked on day one and never started again. This mower model, although only a year in production has been discontinued and alot of folks are left to do what they can.

Me, I am selling my new mower for $20. Grateful to be rid of it and absolutely grateful never to purchase Husqvarna again. Perhaps it is industry norm, but what a disgraceful customer service model Husqvarna has in my opinion. Just baffles me they will be able to sustain it with today's review outlets.

I can't believe you're selling it! Just spend 30-60 minutes cleaning the carb (very easy to clean) and the mower should run like new. I have a Troy-Bilt mower with that engine and I like it a lot.

T

Texas

I can't believe you're selling it! Just spend 30-60 minutes cleaning the carb (very easy to clean) and the mower should run like new. I have a Troy-Bilt mower with that engine and I like it a lot.

I understand, but the carb was cleaned. Truth is, it was never dirty or clogged. It was filled with fresh gas as a new mower, ran once. Sat for 3 weeks and would not start again. Gas drained, replaced with TruFuel, carb cleaned, spark plug replaced. Still wont start. A tiny 'chug' when sprayed with starter fluid. I am done. I understand some folks have time to continue to troubleshoot but it is far more easy to take the $300 loss, be done, move on, lesson learned and buy a quality mower. My last mower lasted 10 years and I gave it away to my church in excellent working order.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. If you said that you cleaned the carb in an earlier post, I must have missed it.

When you get a new mower, go with a Honda engine. Even better, just get a Honda mower. Honda mowers are the best in their price range IMO.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

So if it only has this problem on this mower then it might not be an engine fault but a mower fault as in cable not adjusted causing no spark etc etc.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

He said that the mower tries to run with starting fluid. It would not do that if it had no spark.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

I understand, but the carb was cleaned. Truth is, it was never dirty or clogged. It was filled with fresh gas as a new mower, ran once. Sat for 3 weeks and would not start again. Gas drained, replaced with TruFuel, carb cleaned, spark plug replaced. Still wont start. A tiny 'chug' when sprayed with starter fluid. I am done. I understand some folks have time to continue to troubleshoot but it is far more easy to take the $300 loss, be done, move on, lesson learned and buy a quality mower. My last mower lasted 10 years and I gave it away to my church in excellent working order.

If you can afford a $300 loss then why buy a Husqvarna in the first place? :smile:

If you want an AWD then try the Toro AWD.
Same engine but far superior machine than most manufacturers with a great dealer network.
This 625EX is the quantum replacement so has not been out that long apart from the smaller version the 450E.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

He said that the mower tries to run with starting fluid. It would not do that if it had no spark.

When the snapper walks came out they had the wrong opc cable fitted and would start cold, cut out and not restart due the vibration causing the switch to earth out and have a no spark.
Adjust the cable down the handle or bend the switch to allow more gap for switch not to earth. Simple....

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

When the snapper walks came out they had the wrong opc cable fitted and would start cold, cut out and not restart due the vibration causing the switch to earth out and have a no spark.
Adjust the cable down the handle or bend the switch to allow more gap for switch not to earth. Simple....

Good to know. I will remember that if I ever come across a Snapper walk behind.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

If you can afford a $300 loss then why buy a Husqvarna in the first place? :smile:

If you want an AWD then try the Toro AWD.
Same engine but far superior machine than most manufacturers with a great dealer network.
This 625EX is the quantum replacement so has not been out that long apart from the smaller version the 450E.

I would not go with the Toro because of the Personal Pace drive system. The Husq drive system is much better. Get another Husqvarna, but go with the HU800AWDH. It has a Honda engine instead of a Briggs.