Export thread

Thinking of getting a Poly Lawn Roller (any input appreciated)

I noticed a LOT of frost heave thru my lawn.. Bumps & humps.

Guess it's time for a Lawn roller.. Been looking at a Brinly & also an Agri-Fab roller. Both are Poly rollers.

Any thing I should try & avoid or any tips would be greatly appreciated.. This is to be pulled behing my Toro ZTR...

M

mowerman05

Personally I would go with a steel drum over poly. The poly roller that I used didn't seem to work near as well as the steel, to much flex in the drum, just my opinion. No right or wrong answer here.

S

sjessen

Would renting one be an option?

mowerman05- The way they are building steel drum rollers today 14 ga. steel (that I have seen) doesn't seem to have the beef.. I could almost press a dent into one with my hand. (believe me)..

Older steel rollers (if you can find) were made of real steel..

sjessen- Renting is an option, however as time allows, I am also doing some dirt work down back & would like to have a roller handy, anytime I want. Plus I have been wanting to do spring 'lawn roll outs' for a while now.. Get some mole tunnels & frost heave.

And now with my Z, if I can smooth it a bit better, I can zip faster.. :laughing:

After studying the rather dismal choices & high prices for a tow behind lawn roller.. I have decide to just make my own, for as little use it will see, this makes most sense to me.

1 Large piece of 8" x 46" PVC, make a end plug drill it for a center axle. Wire the other end to hold axle centered & upright. mix up some ready mix concrete, fill to full. Let cure, fab up some brackets to tow with with, 1 bolt removal to take off tow bar (which I will store inside) the roller can remain out under my rear deck..

As to my calculations, should be about 300 lb complete.. So much for store bought overpriced crap. & this will be to my desired width & weight, & should be pretty bullet-proof..

As to the materials, I have most everything here, except for the concrete..

F

FMBill

I concur with mowerman.