Export thread

the dealer says check oil with dip stick screwed in ?

JGGMC

JGGMC

is this correct? I do not see any information in the manual. I do not see oil weight or how much. This must be a manual for all engines so no detailed info was used. lol

D

Darryl G

Here. Note the difference for the different engines. http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM154566_D7/Output/OMM154566D711.html

Edit: Kawasaki recently updated their oil recommendations. For the warmer months I use straight 30 and fall I switch to 10w -30. Get ready for a debate. Mentioning oil always brings up divided opinions. I'll try to find the new kawi chart when I get home from work. And usually right around 2 quarts capacity.

R

Rivets

What engine do you have. Different manufactures have different recommendations.

D

Darryl G

He has a Kawi as mentioned in another thread of his. He discovered his oil level low with 2 hours on the machine.

R

Rivets

Most of today’s Kawasaki engines run 10W-30 oil and you check the oil level WITHOUT screwing the dipstick in, just resting on top.

R

Rivets

Most of today’s Kawasaki engines run 10W-30 oil and you check the oil level WITHOUT screwing the dipstick in, just resting on top. If he would post his engine numbers it would be much easier to help him. But then again that would be asking to much, I should just read all his threads and hope they are related.

D

Darryl G

My understanding is that Tecumseh and Briggs get screwed in and Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda and Robins/Subaru don't. Best to check your manual to be sure.

Edit - or you could just read what's printed on the dipstick. This is out of my Kawisaki FX691V.

Attachments

JGGMC

JGGMC

DSC01118.jpgDSC01109.jpg here areDSC01109.jpg the engine numbers

D

Darryl G

Same engine as mine. Pull your dipstick. It's printed right on it how to check it :smile:

Dealer is wrong.

JGGMC

JGGMC

Same engine as mine. Pull your dipstick. It's printed right on it how to check it :smile:

Dealer is wrong.
I feel sure not enough oil was put in at the dealer. And the dealer told me to check the oil by screwing the dipstick in. I can handle it myself without the dealer. I have no faith in the dealer now. thanks for all the help.

D

Darryl G

No problem. Makes you wonder don't it. I'd go back and ask them to read the dipstick, lol.

Hopefully you'll have little ongoing need for your dealer. There don't seem to be a lot of issues with those machines. Good luck!

That Dealer needs to learn more about what he is selling. :thumbdown: My Kawasaki FRX651 is same. NO screw in, like it was pointed out, READ the printing on the actual dipstick.

D

Darryl G

I have to admit that I never saw that printed on the dipstick before. But I don't put my glasses on to check my oil and even with them on I had a hard time reading it in my garage. It doesn't exactly jump out at me.

And to the OP, some of the things I said were for others who may happen upon the thread and to cover my behind, such as best to read the manual. I know you said you couldn't find it in yours.

JGGMC

JGGMC

I bought my Scag at Sadlers Marine in Jacksonville, Texas. I went to buy a Scag at Outdoor Power, Tyler Texas at 11:30 Friday but I think all the salesmen were at lunch. Sadlers Marine was 8450.00 where Outdoor Power was 8599.00

JGGMC

JGGMC

I bought a quart of 10-40 Kawasaki oil and added 12 oz. to fill it up. My mower is running great and I will take care of it myself.DSC01141.jpg

D

Darryl G

Yeah, that's a fair amount.

Some nice features on the new Kawi engines are the oil drain hose and the port to blow the cooling fins off without taking the shroud off. That's the cover with the Kawisaki 691V decal on it. One bolt and you can inspect for rodent nests and blow off the fins with compressed air. I'm sure it's still a good idea to pull the shroud for a thorough cleaning now and then but I like it!

JGGMC

JGGMC

Yeah, that's a fair amount.

Some nice features on the new Kawi engines are the oil drain hose and the port to blow the cooling fins off without taking the shroud off. That's the cover with the Kawisaki 691V decal on it. One bolt and you can inspect for rodent nests and blow off the fins with compressed air. I'm sure it's still a good idea to pull the shroud for a thorough cleaning now and then but I like it!
..... I mowed 2 hours today and it did not use a drop of oil.

When I buy oil I always check on the back of the bottle for the date code, it will tell when the oil was bottled. If it is older than 5 years I won't buy it.

Because even factory sealed, the additives do break down.

And I agree 12 oz down is a lot on a 2 qt w/filter fill up engine.

D

Darryl G

There isn't much margin for error on the oil level of these small engines. I'm glad you spotted and resolved the issue. As long as it was on the stick no damage done.

Maybe they're just trying to save on oil. You know if they short everyone 1/3 of a quart that adds up at the end of the year and increases the revenue from the repair side of things too, lol.

willys55

willys55

well it looks like Darrly came to the rescue, thank goodness it doesn't have a harley engine on it, or you would be adding a quart everytime you mowed the lawn

well it looks like Darrly came to the rescue, thank goodness it doesn't have a harley engine on it, or you would be adding a quart everytime you mowed the lawn

Old Harleys don't leak, they just mark their spot, The Evos, (which is as new as I would ever own), don't even mark their spot, they just go.

T

tbzep

Dealer is wrong.
Yep. My Kawi has it printed on it not to screw it in.

V

vintageman

is this correct? I do not see any information in the manual. I do not see oil weight or how much. This must be a manual for all engines so no detailed info was used. lol

On page 19 of the Kawasaki owners manual in the preparation section, states, "Insert the oil gauge into tube (B) WITHOUT SCREWING IT IN"

JGGMC

JGGMC

On page 19 of the Kawasaki owners manual in the preparation section, states, "Insert the oil gauge into tube (B) WITHOUT SCREWING IT IN"[/Q.

L

Luffydog

If you screw it down it will good but is really low on oil and if u don't screw it down it will be low and need to add to full mark. I wouldn't trust the dealer sounds like he doesn't know how to check the oil properly.