Export thread

Teflon Spray

exotion

exotion

Found this and am very tempted to buy a can mowers and even my snow blower

Clean Machine Non-Stick Mower Protectant - Mower Cleanup & Covers | AMLeo.com

R

Rivets

I've seen these things come and go, I wouldn't waste my money. Just my opinion.

Mike88se

Mike88se

My opinion too. I did try that or a product just like it. Sprayed under my old Toro Timemaster deck after priming and prepping the metal. Did not work for chit.
One special paint I have used that is useful in some ways is graphite inpregnated paint. I didn't try it on the deck though.

C

cruzenmike

My opinion too. I did try that or a product just like it. Sprayed under my old Toro Timemaster deck after priming and prepping the metal. Did not work for chit.
One special paint I have used that is useful in some ways is graphite inpregnated paint. I didn't try it on the deck though.

I purchased some dry graphite spray that I was going to try but in a discussion with a co-worker, he mentioned that he simply waxed his deck with some type of automotive wax. This would seem to help especially if the wax layer was thick but uniform and on a brand new deck. My deck has 7 years of use on it, so a wire brush, maybe a coat of epoxy spray paint and hopefully the clippings just slide on out with getting hung up, stuck or snagged.

BWH

BWH

I tried a paint from Tractor Supply called slip-coat 20 years ago under my deck, it was meant for the floor of a farm wagon to make the grain slid easier. I believe it was a graphite paint also but in the end it really didn't make much difference at all.

Boobala

Boobala

I tried a paint from Tractor Supply called slip-coat 20 years ago under my deck, it was meant for the floor of a farm wagon to make the grain slid easier. I believe it was a graphite paint also but in the end it really didn't make much difference at all.

Has anybody tried the rubberized roof coating on the underside of the the mower/ mower deck ..?? it used to be available in gallon cans @ Home Depot, of course the deck would have to be really cleaned before it's application
but I have pressure cleaned a few roofs with mildew & MOLD and most of it washed right off from the coating of the product... HMMMmmmmm...?????

BlazNT

BlazNT

I tried truck bed liner on the underside of my deck. I put 3 good coats on a brand new deck. Followed all directions. It was very nice when I got done. I let it cure for a week before using the mower. After first mow not one stick of grass was stuck to the underside of the deck but the coating was gone too.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

In my experience lawnmowers and snow blowers are different animals when it comes to sticking. For snow blowers snow/ice accumulating within the impeller housing and the chute can substantially impact performance. A variety of techniques are used to reduce sticking including spray lubricants and waxing, all of which have their place.

For mowers, negative performance issues are rarely a major concern when it comes to grass sticking; it's more an issue of cleaning and maintenance. If you have a metal deck, periodic spraying could be a benefit. If your deck is plastic (like my Honda), there's no advantage to treatment.

Boobala

Boobala

In my experience lawnmowers and snow blowers are different animals when it comes to sticking. For snow blowers snow/ice accumulating within the impeller housing and the chute can substantially impact performance. A variety of techniques are used to reduce sticking including spray lubricants and waxing, all of which have their place.

For mowers, negative performance issues are rarely a major concern when it comes to grass sticking; it's more an issue of cleaning and maintenance. If you have a metal deck, periodic spraying could be a benefit. If your deck is plastic (like my Honda), there's no advantage to treatment.

WOW ...First I ever heard of a PLASTIC deck !! ............must be some HELLACIOUS stuff !!

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

WOW ...First I ever heard of a PLASTIC deck !! ............must be some HELLACIOUS stuff !!

My using the word plastic probably does the mower an injustice - although I think it's correct. My Honda HRX deck comes with something called NeXite, a polymer with a lifetime warranty. Here's some more info:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/nexite-mowing-deck

Boobala

Boobala

My using the word plastic probably does the mower an injustice - although I think it's correct. My Honda HRX deck comes with something called NeXite, a polymer with a lifetime warranty. Here's some more info:

Thanks for the up-date on the NeXite ........ interesting , just wonder how it will hold up to vibration .... and loose components
wallowing out hole diameters.. might be OK for a walk behind but I'd be leary of using it on a rider frame . Boobala

L

Luster

I also have the Honda HRX with the Nexite deck. It's some pretty amazing stuff. No matter how wet the grass is, nothing seems to stick to that deck! Just a quick rinse and it's almost as clean as day 1.

I wish my JD Zero Turn had a Nexite Deck!!!

L

loneryder

I've used it and it works for about a month. These days I clean the underside and spray silicone or PB Blaster on it and it works the same. Don't think it is practical for commercial use but works well for homeowners.

S

sidemouse

I don't clean the underside of a lawn mower deck.

Z

Zak88lx

I think with any of these sprays, you need to keep applying them for the affect to continue.
Not a one-time application miracle.

I have always wondered if a carnauba car wax would help with grass clippings, or that Rain-X windshield treatment.

B

bertsmobile1

Lots of walk behind mowers have plastic decks.
And most of them are rubbish
The only ones that seem up to scratch are the plastic decked hovering flymows
Every other one ends up brittle or ripped out where the engine bolts in

B

bertsmobile1

As for painting the underside of a ride on deck, POR 15 chassis coat is the only stuff to use.
Once cured, bullets bounce off it

S

Shalmaneser

As for painting the underside of a ride on deck, POR 15 chassis coat is the only stuff to use.
Once cured, bullets bounce off it

Bullets, eh? Fortunately that's not a problem in my neighborhood. Might try that to protect windshield from rocks. :rolleyes:

I'm seeing a bunch of different things marketed as POR 15. Anything from "chassis coat paint" to "top coat" Is there a Real McCoy?

That said, how about grass? Does it simply not stick or does the POR 15 make for better release when spraying? I experimented with cooking sprays on my snow thrower. I'm going to try the POR 15 on my newly purchased ancient Woods mower and a trailer I picked up. Top is immaculate, but the axles need a coat of something.

Boobala

Boobala

Two products I use and HIGHLY recommend :

https://www.por15.com/

http://www.pettitpaint.com/products/primers/below-the-waterline/rustlok-steel-primer/

The Pettit 6980 is like adding a another layer of metal on your item .. Shake / Stir well !
Used it on really rusty items in a Marina ( salt-water, .. corroded metals ) SUPER STUFF !

B

bertsmobile1

Bullets, eh? Fortunately that's not a problem in my neighborhood. Might try that to protect windshield from rocks. :rolleyes:

I'm seeing a bunch of different things marketed as POR 15. Anything from "chassis coat paint" to "top coat" Is there a Real McCoy?

That said, how about grass? Does it simply not stick or does the POR 15 make for better release when spraying? I experimented with cooking sprays on my snow thrower. I'm going to try the POR 15 on my newly purchased ancient Woods mower and a trailer I picked up. Top is immaculate, but the axles need a coat of something.

POR 15 Chassis paint is a furane resin that reacts with water.
It does not generate any gas when it reacts and goes hard so there are no micropores for water to penetrate.
It was developed by the US navy ( AFAIK ) for painting ship hull.
Once fully cured on a properly preparred surface it can not be removed by anything short of a grinding disc.
However nothing is perfect and it is not UV stable so has to be top coated if it is exposed to sunlight,

I use about a gallon of it a year for painting old decks.
Once painted that is the last time it will rust.
I used it on the hire cars that live out in the weather and not a spot of rust in 15 years outdoors.

We also paint the insides of steel rainwater tanks and they never rust either.
Since becoming a mower mechanic I use it on mower decks and particularly on push mowers where the height adjuster locates with a pin through a hole in the base.
No more wear of the holes ( the steel distorts & bends but the holes do not enlarge.

S

Shalmaneser

POR 15 Chassis paint is a furane resin that reacts with water.
It does not generate any gas when it reacts and goes hard so there are no micropores for water to penetrate.
It was developed by the US navy ( AFAIK ) for painting ship hull.
Once fully cured on a properly preparred surface it can not be removed by anything short of a grinding disc.
However nothing is perfect and it is not UV stable so has to be top coated if it is exposed to sunlight,

I use about a gallon of it a year for painting old decks.
Once painted that is the last time it will rust.
I used it on the hire cars that live out in the weather and not a spot of rust in 15 years outdoors.

We also paint the insides of steel rainwater tanks and they never rust either.
Since becoming a mower mechanic I use it on mower decks and particularly on push mowers where the height adjuster locates with a pin through a hole in the base.
No more wear of the holes ( the steel distorts & bends but the holes do not enlarge.
The new water based paints! I'd not made the connection. Of course there are other applications for this chemical process. The major paint companies, Behr, for example, are using this technology. They are odorless, fast drying, easy handling, and put latex to shame. Just don't let them dry on your skin. I used a couple of pints to paint a bedroom. (sample sizes) Very cool stuff. Only one drip.
I'm shopping for an old SUV. The one I saw in for repairs at my mechanics could have used the stuff....a few years ago. The 2000 Yukon's bottom panels were ....gone... where winter salt had kicked up on the paint. The Yukons that have been kept garaged and cleaned stay intact.