Tecumseh LV195EA making clicking noises crackshaft is turned

howy61

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh LV195EA making clicking noises crackshaft is turned
Breather tube on my 6.5 hp Tecumseh LV195EA cracked and was blowing oil. Simple enough fix except I broke the flywheel removing it. Bought a breather rebuild kit and another flywheel. Reassembled everything tonight and did a test pull with the sparkplug wire disconnected.

Expected a quiet pull with compression resitance. Instead I hear a clicking noise as the crankshaft turns.

Removed everything back down to the flywheel. The engine clicks all the way around with a slightly louder click as the magnets align with the ingition module. The clicking happens if the crackshaft/blade is rotated in a clockwise direction. Silent if moved in counter clockwise, but will eventually stick/freeze. Also removed the muffler and can see what I assume is the exhaust valve stem moving which seems to indicate that camshaft is meshing with the drive shaft

Is there a real problem like crankshaft slipped down a bit and now not fully meshing properly with the camshaft? Or am I just being gun shy after blowing up the flywheel.

-------------------------------------------
Update: 6/6

Never cracked open the crank case so the more I thought about it the cam/crankshafts couldn't be the issue.

I have tried counting the clicks and keep getting 20+. Checking pictures in one of the parts houses, the Governor gear has 22 teeth and the symptom reminds me a lot of when the transmission pinion gear was worn and slipping.

Could I have reconnected the linkage in the wrong postion so that the governor is engaged without the engine running?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely something is making contact with the flywheel as it is turned. New breather, ignition module. something stuck under flywheel.

howy61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know the breather has clearence and the ingition module it outside the flywheel.

There is brake assembly and terminial underneath the flywheel, but i did a check with brake/ingition handle engaged and still had clicking. But it is something to check again.