Tecumseh Engine

John-G49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Atco Balmoral 17s fitted with a Tecumseh 3hp engine. I understand it to be obsolete, parts becoming difficult to source. I seek advice as to which may be a suitable and compatible replacement engine. I’m informed a Kawasaki engine is unsuitable. Loncin and Honda small engines are available.
Please can any member offer advice?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post your engines model and spec numbers so we have an idea of what engine you have. Also post parts you think you will need, as I have found that most Tecumseh parts are still readily available.

Papa Larry

Forum Newbie
Threads
My question was about whether a coil can produce a spark that is too weak to run an engine. It was missing engine numbers. It’s a Sears branded Tecumseh 3.8 hp eng mod. 143.973503. It will start and run when carb cleaner is squirted into cylinder, but does not start without carb cleaner help. I did replace the carb with a new one, #640339 from amazon. The carb came with just one Welch plug which I used to cover the hole that looked like it needed to be closed. The second hole had openings on the edge so I assumed it did not need to be covered with a plug. Was I wrong in my assumption? Is that why it won’t start or is it the coil?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First off please don’t hijack another thread, especially if you problem is not the same as the original thread. Start a new thread so no one gets confused . Your engine is a Tecumseh model H35-45687W. Second, according to the parts breakdown you should have gotten carb #632604, which may easily cause your starting problem. Finally I’ve never really seen a “weak spark” cause a problem like you describe.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an Atco Balmoral 17s fitted with a Tecumseh 3hp engine. I understand it to be obsolete, parts becoming difficult to source. I seek advice as to which may be a suitable and compatible replacement engine. I’m informed a Kawasaki engine is unsuitable. Loncin and Honda small engines are available.
Please can any member offer advice?
is it in good enough shape to justify putting a new engine on? Many parts are available if it is just a tuning thing. New reel lawnmowers are available too.