TB575EC trimmer clutch removal

DVM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a String Trimmer mower that needs a new starter assembly because the spring fails.
To get to it I need to remove the clutch from the crank shaft.
How is it fixed? Or better how does it come of?
On diagrams I cannot see whether there is a tread or a cylindrical fit and if a locking device is
applied.
I tapped already on the crankshaft and it didn't come loose. Thanks

DVM

Forum Newbie
Threads

This is a very good link. Thanks a lot. I found a similar engine workbook with the required info. I repaired as followed:
The clutch has a tread inside and comes off the shaft, following the arrow (counter clockwise from the front view of the engine)
There is a special tool for this but with 2 crescent wrenches it works too. To stop the shaft from turning I have put a cord on top of the piston through the spark plug hole.

Because I work from an island without parts and high import taxes, I took the assembly apart. There are 2 spools in the system: one for the cord and the other one houses a tape spring to engage the shaft (flywheel) grabber. This spring was broken at one of the hook points.
I fixed the end with a grinder to have a clean start - heated the spring only at the end, (not fully red) bent a new hook and re-hardened the end of the spring.

I have an idea that this spring hook originally is too hard for the job. It cracks after multiple uses. That is probably why the whole set is cheap a spare part.
Thank you for the help and I hope this can help out others too.

Last edited: