TB30 whines when trying to start

Duncan701

Forum Newbie
Threads
We recently bought a used TB30 from an older couple. They had it maybe a year when they sold it (sold it due to health problems). we’ve had it maybe 3 year, 4 tops. Last year at the end of the season, I went to go pick up leaves and do one last cut. I got on it and all I got was a click and a whine (not a buzzing sound). Replace the battery this year and still the same problem. From the research I’ve done, I think I’ve narrowed it down to starter and/or solenoid. Am I wrong? We’re looking at taking it in next week but if this is something I can do myself, I would LOVE to save the money.

Joed756

Threads
We recently bought a used TB30 from an older couple. They had it maybe a year when they sold it (sold it due to health problems). we’ve had it maybe 3 year, 4 tops. Last year at the end of the season, I went to go pick up leaves and do one last cut. I got on it and all I got was a click and a whine (not a buzzing sound). Replace the battery this year and still the same problem. From the research I’ve done, I think I’ve narrowed it down to starter and/or solenoid. Am I wrong? We’re looking at taking it in next week but if this is something I can do myself, I would LOVE to save the money.
You have described the sounds of a typical solenoid failure. The click is the solenoid trying to work, the whine is the starter turning without being engaged to the flywheel by the solenoid.