Engine Synthetic Oil Use

bricooper78

Threads
NITROGEN FILLED ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

(I don't mean to flame this,) I have kind of gone both ways with syn vs dino, and on a 100K mile 3.4 in a Grand Am, the startup tick went away with synth.
I also am one of these 5K mile change guys, only use Wix filters.... blah blah blah. I can't say much for mileage, didn't notice anything different, but that motor sounded quieter, at startup at least, the rest sounded about the same from what my ears could tell.

On half the stuff I've owned, it's whatever was on sale, as long as it has the gold star on that bottle (APSI maybe?) it's passed the spec as far as I'm concerned. never blown anything up using it either lol

BUT I bought a used GMC Jimmy, was an 00, with the 4.3 Old guy owned it from the factory with Mobil 1 synth, only thing that engine had ever had in it, and it was the quietest engine I've ever heard in my entire life. I flip S10s, so I know a bit about that engine, and this was leaps and bounds quieter than any of the others. I can only tell the oil changed it. The truck had very good care taken of it, but still, that thing was cop car quiet! Even at that mileage.

So IMO if you go an entire lifespan with only synth, I think it might actually be a better oil.

On the other hand, who's going to put 200K miles on a mower or tractor? lol I think it's a toss up, or a wash. But even with what I've seen on that Jimmy, and using mine at 0, I won't switch to synthetic. I change my oil every year, and I only put about 10 hours a year on mine, with a Wix filter... I'm all about taking care of things, but I think synth is overkill for these.

Hammerdown

Threads
NITROGEN FILLED ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

On the other hand, who's going to put 200K miles on a mower or tractor? lol I think it's a toss up, or a wash. But even with what I've seen on that Jimmy, and using mine at 0, I won't switch to synthetic. I change my oil every year, and I only put about 10 hours a year on mine, with a Wix filter... I'm all about taking care of things, but I think synth is overkill for these.

Hello bricooper
I disagree, These air cooled enginews run hot in the summer Month's synthetic engine oil will Not break down like standard engine oil will due to heat.... Something to think about.... Hammerdown

Raw Dodge

Threads
I just ordered a few cases of amsoil 10w30 full synthetic.it was 4.45 a quart..the full synthetic grease with a GC rating was 4.97 a tube.These aren't sale prices, there the prices you get when you sign up for a commercial account. ..compare this with your typical prices of low grade conventional oil at 3.00 a quart and 4.50 a tube for grease that blends with water and pounds out, and you'll see the synthetic isn't a huge additional expenses especially on a mower that may use 4-6 quarts a season if that and 2 tunes of grease..It's actually a bargain to use Amsoil. Today's air and liquid cooled small engines are running hotter and leaner than ever before, they are packing more power and rpm into smaller spaces running larger decks with power hungry hydraulic systems..protect your investment in expensive equipment your talking 10 -15 dollars a season difference at a most, you could probably save money by running the full maximum oil change interval at all times with the amsoil and still get better engine life and efficiency than conventional at half the hours.