Synthetic Oil for Hydro Change?

Wendol

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's time for a hydro oil and filter change on my Tiger Cub, and I'm kind of on the fence about going to a synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's time for a hydro oil and filter change on my Tiger Cub, and I'm kind of on the fence about going to a synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

You can use what you want but I would suggest using what the manual says to use. It's always best to use what the manufacturer says to use.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like so many posters you don't include model numbers so we have to make guesses. Many of the Tiger Cubs use 20W-50 in their hydro systems and if your owners manual says you have one of those units a Synthetic Mobil 1 will work fine for you. You'll still have to change it just as often as when using a non-synthetic oil.

Wendol

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like so many posters you don't include model numbers so we have to make guesses. Many of the Tiger Cubs use 20W-50 in their hydro systems and if your owners manual says you have one of those units a Synthetic Mobil 1 will work fine for you. You'll still have to change it just as often as when using a non-synthetic oil.

Sorry about not including the model number.......rookie poster, here. The model number is STC 48V-19KAI, and you correct, the manual called for 20W-50. My main concern/question was about using synthetic oil (not made so clear in my original posting).

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
All Scag machines that have pumps and wheel motors up to and including the latest models are recommended to use 20W50 motor oil, no reference to 20W50 full synthetic or synthetic blend is made in any of the Scag operators manuals for these machines.
On most of the Scag machines that have unit hydrostatic drive units, full synthetic oil is recommended per the Scag operators manuals for these machines.
Your Tiger cub has pumps and wheel motors.
With a hyd filter change, about 2.5 Qts of the total of about 4-5 Qts will drain out.
Should you decide to use full synthetic oil, you would still have the effect of a synthetic blend in the hyd system.
It would take about 4-5 oil changes to have as close to the affect of full synthetic as possible.
When you do change the hyd oil, when the hyd filter is removed, all the oil in the hyd reservoir will drain out, about 2.5 Qts plus what is in the filter.
As the filter is vertically mounted, fill the new filter with oil until it is full and no air bubbles are escaping, then install it. Fill the hyd reservoir with two Qts and let the machine sit for at least 1/2 hour or more. This will allow the system and filter to purge out most of the remaining trapped air. Start and run the machine with the levers out, then operate the machine normally. Recheck the hyd reservoir oil level and top off if needed.
Just did my Tiger Cub as I also replaced the L/H hyd pump, drive belt and idler/tensioner pulleys although the pulleys were OK.