Super Z breaking exhaust pipe out of muffler.

The Hise

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I have a 2009 Super Z and the exhaust pipe coming from the engine has broken away from the muffler.
This will make the third muffler in 400hrs. Is there something I should be looking for that might be causing this or something I may be able to do to prevent this from breaking again?
Thanks,
Chris

Micko

Threads
3 in 400hrs is not good. Are you getting bad vibrations from the motor? Are you running a WOT? Do you balance your blades meaning, are you getting bad vibrations in general.

Ive had one re welded and its been fine since but yeah, its been an issue for many years with Hustler. Had one on an older machine crack as well but replaced under warranty.

Are you replacing the pipe or mending it? I would get it really well welded next time and see how it goes. The heat makes the steel brittle and thin but it should take 100's of hours for that to happen.

I dont know if its possible but Ive thought of a extremely high temp flexible pipe somewhere between the muffler and the engine would fix the problem. I havent looked into it though.

I would also make sure the engine is bolted down properly as well. Ive heard of issues with that too. At the end of the day its vibrations that cause the problem.

The Hise

Forum Newbie
Threads
3 in 400hrs is not good. Are you getting bad vibrations from the motor? Are you running a WOT? Do you balance your blades meaning, are you getting bad vibrations in general.

Ive had one re welded and its been fine since but yeah, its been an issue for many years with Hustler. Had one on an older machine crack as well but replaced under warranty.

Are you replacing the pipe or mending it? I would get it really well welded next time and see how it goes. The heat makes the steel brittle and thin but it should take 100's of hours for that to happen.

I dont know if its possible but Ive thought of a extremely high temp flexible pipe somewhere between the muffler and the engine would fix the problem. I havent looked into it though.

I would also make sure the engine is bolted down properly as well. Ive heard of issues with that too. At the end of the day its vibrations that cause the problem.

I'm not getting any abnormal vibrations that I can tell, I live on sand so my blades are replaced every year if not more as the sand just eats them away.

I welded this one back together with high hopes that it may last through next season.

I too was thinking of possibly using a flex pipe or possibly a spring loaded ball and socket style connection (like you would have on a car) between the manifold and the muffler but finding one for 1 1/2 in pipe is proving a challenge!

I checked the engine mounts and nothing seems to have shifted as far as the engine goes.

Thanks for your input and I'll keep looking for a possible solution... It just seems kinda dumb to bolt the muffler to the super structure with a solid clamp to the manifold, eventually I would think something has to give due to fatigue from vibration.

Thanks again,
Chris

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is something that I haven't come across in lawnmowers. In my early years of repairing snowmobiles and chainsaws it was a very common thing. It was because of high vibration and poor design. So I am going to say the super Z needs a new exhaust design. Someone did mention flex pipe but I have found there is different quality of flex pipe so if you do try that look of the better quality flex pipe not price.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manuals scroll down to Fastrak SD and click on service manual page 8-1 maintenance schedule, fuel evaporation system filter should be changed, also check air filter for replacement. Remove blower housing & screen, top of engine cover, and clean, do not use water or any liquid, with shop vac with brush attachment, you can use a cheap paint brush etc. to loosen and then vac up, clean all cooling fins on heads, a piece of wire coat hanger will help remove embedded grit. I suspect your engine is running very hot, this procedure should be done yearly on equipment used daily. Please let us know if this helps or not.