Stuff you find on the lawn when mowing

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Vaccum cleaner
Dead birds
Golf balls

jekjr

jekjr

Cars, houses, antique farm equipment......

exotion

exotion

Toys, hoses, tissue paper, trash. Some of the weirdest crap

Carscw

Carscw

Fence posts, bricks, ax head, rope,

The best thing is I hit a mini van in the river with my boat.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Beer / soda bottles, beer / soda cans, metal fence posts, wooded fence posts, barb-wire, rope, fishing line, rocks, snakes, towing hitch, oh last but not least the dreaded tree stump.

Z

Zolomoro

Snakes, box turtles!

jekjr

jekjr

House trailer anchors.

Carscw

Carscw

Chain,dog run cable. And the dang ground rod next to the power meter box

I

ILENGINE

Panty hose, baler twine, dog run cable,

about in the yard, since I help my nephew with stump removal we have found steel T post, glass bottles, horseshoes, christmas lights, dog chain,

gfp55

gfp55

About 10 years ago I was visiting my inlaws in AL. We were there for about a week. The grass needed cutting so I got out their little Craftsman rider, what a POS. I started cutting the front yard and by the time I get to the road I smell something rotten. Every time I get to the road it stinks like rotten meat. I finnish the yard in front of the house and move on to the grass on the side of the driveway, the narrow piece between the drive and the neighbors yard. When I get to the part of the yard where the driveway meets the road I see the biggest animal leg I've ever seen in my life. I stop to look at it and everyone comes out of the house to see and are shocked at the size of it. I didn't know what animal it was from. The inlaws calls the cops and the cops are shocked to. The cops called somebody and the guy says its a front leg from a lion. They ask it anyone has a lion in the area and we all look at each and I say I'm from out of town and don't know sh-t. The guy the cops call bagged it up and put it in his truck and left. I've pick up trash, cloths, shoes, a chair, just about anything that people will carry in the back of a truck from lawns over the years but that was a first for me. A front leg from a lion in my inlaws yard.

X-man

X-man

Beer cans, toys, dog sh't, dead birds, turtles, snakes, frogs, plastic bags, rocks, rocks, and more rocks.

X-man

X-man

And trailer anchors. I have to watch out for those all the time.

E

eastsidelawncare

Funny question. Lawns are actually pretty clean until you run into the commercial lawn service where condoms, pantyhose, and other late night paraphernalia accumulate. Not sure how it gets there but...:laughing:

Lonnie,

Lawn Service: Eastside Landcare

X-man

X-man

Funny question. Lawns are actually pretty clean until you run into the commercial lawn service where condoms, pantyhose, and other late night paraphernalia accumulate. Not sure how it gets there but...:laughing:

Lonnie,

I tend to find those under bridges....

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That lion leg tho...

Yesterday's find was a dead blotted rat in a kid's bucket where he can put his toys.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Metal stakes, food, toys, dead squirrels, tents, rope, chain, bolts, soiled condoms.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

:laughing:

Lonnie,

I do commercial landscaping service and I run in to things like that all the time, especially around parks, tracks, supermarkets, and schools.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Today I found three windows out behind a garage.

Home was vacant and was for sale and the realty company wanted the lawn mowed. I also found a dead crow next to the propane tank.

clpolcar

clpolcar

I found a Nintendo DS in one yard and a lot of other toys. Lots of golf balls that I put to good use

BlazNT

BlazNT

In the plastic wrapper a square of roofing tar.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I found a Nintendo DS in one yard and a lot of other toys. Lots of golf balls that I put to good use

I was mowing at a golf course a couple months ago and I found two golf clubs.

M

mowerguy

Wasn't in a yard but I was bush hogging next to a woods we farm at and right on the tree line there was a dead horse. Come to find out a guy a couple miles up the road had a horse get out and was hit by a car on the highway. The horse took off and that's where he fell

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

That comes to my mind I was brush mowing one day with my DR Brush Mower and I saw a big pile of white in the distance, so I mowed my way over and there was a bunch on skulls and bones laying on the ground. They were not human. They were bear and deer.

Wildcat

Wildcat

I have the run of the mill items. Toys, water hoses, doggy do do...stuff like that.

I guess I've been lucky and not seen anything that make me say WTF. Though sometimes when trash is strung out across the yard from the local wildlife and it hasn't been picked up, then I say WTF. I just drop of paper work at the house that basically says sorry we couldn't cut your grass, your yard is a mess.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Today I found a baseball while brush mowing.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I have the run of the mill items. Toys, water hoses, doggy do do...stuff like that.

I guess I've been lucky and not seen anything that make me say WTF. Though sometimes when trash is strung out across the yard from the local wildlife and it hasn't been picked up, then I say WTF. I just drop of paper work at the house that basically says sorry we couldn't cut your grass, your yard is a mess.

I have declined several houses just for that reason

exotion

exotion

We are lawn care not maids :) I have one customer I haven't mowed for 3 weeks her kids toys, chairs, hoses, balls, dog **** all over her yard I have left messages asking her to pick it up she never does

Carscw

Carscw

We do one foreclosed home that is always full of trash toys shoes.

I kick the toys and shoes into the road.

I mow in a circle pile up the trash in the middle of the yard. It's getting kinda big.

B

bls36

I find condoms and needles on commercial properties all the time. Last week I had 4 deer in one yard.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I find condoms and needles on commercial properties all the time. Last week I had 4 deer in one yard.

Yesterday I was doing a property for a real estate company and I found a dog run in three foot tall grass.

B

bls36

I hate that. I ran into those to.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

We do one foreclosed home that is always full of trash toys shoes.

I kick the toys and shoes into the road.

I mow in a circle pile up the trash in the middle of the yard. It's getting kinda big.

Burn it! (lol)

Briana

Briana

About 10 years ago I was visiting my inlaws in AL. We were there for about a week. The grass needed cutting so I got out their little Craftsman rider, what a POS. I started cutting the front yard and by the time I get to the road I smell something rotten. Every time I get to the road it stinks like rotten meat. I finnish the yard in front of the house and move on to the grass on the side of the driveway, the narrow piece between the drive and the neighbors yard. When I get to the part of the yard where the driveway meets the road I see the biggest animal leg I've ever seen in my life. I stop to look at it and everyone comes out of the house to see and are shocked at the size of it. I didn't know what animal it was from. The inlaws calls the cops and the cops are shocked to. The cops called somebody and the guy says its a front leg from a lion. They ask it anyone has a lion in the area and we all look at each and I say I'm from out of town and don't know sh-t. The guy the cops call bagged it up and put it in his truck and left. I've pick up trash, cloths, shoes, a chair, just about anything that people will carry in the back of a truck from lawns over the years but that was a first for me. A front leg from a lion in my inlaws yard.

That's a pretty wild story gfp. Where do you live?

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Could it have been a mountain lion?

Z

Zeroturner

Part of my pre-mowing practice, is to go completely through my 1 1/2 acres with a garden wagon and pick all and anything that could cause mower damage. Primarily, this is limb litter if we have heavy winds before I mow.

I fully appreciate you lawn care professionals don't have the luxury of time to do this.

When I first moved in, in the yard I found bricks, counter-top marble, bailing wire, a variety of rocks, large and small, slate pieces and boards. It took a bit of work, but now, except for limb litter (I have quite a few trees) my yard is clean of damaging debris.

Now, I can mow without concern I'll hit something foreign.

Oh, I did run over a Speckled King snake last time I mowed. However, because I keep the deck raised so high I didn't hurt him at all, though I was surprised I didn't run over him with one of the tires. He was very beautiful snake and one to be prized as they eat venomous snakes, which I have in abundance, primarily cottonmouths with the occasional coral snake.

rmancini

rmancini

Mole condos.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Carpenter bee nests.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Carpenter bee nests.

that's crazy did you get stung?

I mulched a door mat a couple weeks ago. it killed the engine and I had a few choice words but all is good.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

that's crazy did you get stung?

I mulched a door mat a couple weeks ago. it killed the engine and I had a few choice words but all is good.

I got stung several times, but I always carry bee spray in my truck and the next day I came back and sprayed all the ground nests, then I mowed again today and no more bees, they are dead and all gone. I recommend everyone here carry bee spray, we will run into them here in the landscaping business sooner or later.

Several years ago I mulched a door mat with a weed eater mower, and surprisingly the mower wasn't harmed at all. Still have it, trashed the motor, still have the deck. Its sitting in my "Mower Junkyard", full of ZT's, ride on's, push mowers, snowblowers, and anything else power equipment and a shed full of engines and a shed full of parts.

And mower deck piles that will be scrapped soon

Z

zmister11

I got stung several times, but I always carry bee spray in my truck and the next day I came back and sprayed all the ground nests, then I mowed again today and no more bees, they are dead and all gone. I recommend everyone here carry bee spray, we will run into them here in the landscaping business sooner or later.

Several years ago I mulched a door mat with a weed eater mower, and surprisingly the mower wasn't harmed at all. Still have it, trashed the motor, still have the deck. Its sitting in my "Mower Junkyard", full of ZT's, ride on's, push mowers, snowblowers, and anything else power equipment and a shed full of engines and a shed full of parts.

And mower deck piles that will be scrapped soon

Yeah i got stung last week and found out that I am allergic to bee stings.lol now I carry spray

B

bls36

I ran over a door mat on accident it was not pretty. There was a garage sale going on next door to. I had about 50 people looking at me.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Yeah i got stung last week and found out that I am allergic to bee stings.lol now I carry spray

I carry the kill on contact spray that can spray at a good distance in a big can.

Carscw

Carscw

that's crazy did you get stung? I mulched a door mat a couple weeks ago. it killed the engine and I had a few choice words but all is good.

I find a lot of the green indoor outdoor carpet. I do not know what it is around here that makes people cover half a yard in this ****. Only way to get it out from under the deck is take the blades off.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I ran over a door mat on accident it was not pretty. There was a garage sale going on next door to. I had about 50 people looking at me.

People can't mind their own business and carry on? Or were the nosy nothing-better-to-do people

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I find a lot of the green indoor outdoor carpet. I do not know what it is around here that makes people cover half a yard in this ****. Only way to get it out from under the deck is take the blades off.

I see that sometimes up here. Maybe they cover it in places were the grass is dead? Most of the time I see that stuff it's over a dead spot.

Carscw

Carscw

I see that sometimes up here. Maybe they cover it in places were the grass is dead? Most of the time I see that stuff it's over a dead spot.

Heck it's ok if I see it. But with weeds 4 foot tall you don't see much.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

it was fault we'd been out all day and it was hot. it was one of those thick rubber ones and I thought the walk behind would just go over it crossing their sidewalk. turns out it would suck it up and kill the engine. it was fine I just unwound it and kept mowing

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

it was fault we'd been out all day and it was hot. it was one of those thick rubber ones and I thought the walk behind would just go over it crossing their sidewalk. turns out it would suck it up and kill the engine. it was fine I just unwound it and kept mowing

Just like my indestructible weed eater, you could run over almost anything and it will keep going.

Carscw

Carscw

Today all I hit was a hole.

Grass was about a foot. Was mowing a good hill and the back low side tire went in the hole. The left front came close to a foot off the ground.

Scared the chit out me. Thought I was finally going over after all these years.

Took two of is to get it out if the hole.

So I will say the worse thing I ever hit was this dang hole.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Today all I hit was a hole.

Grass was about a foot. Was mowing a good hill and the back low side tire went in the hole. The left front came close to a foot off the ground.

Scared the chit out me. Thought I was finally going over after all these years.

Took two of is to get it out if the hole.

So I will say the worse thing I ever hit was this dang hole.

How deep and how big? Was it an animal hole or man made?

Carscw

Carscw

How deep and how big? Was it an animal hole or man made?

Like the size of a basketball.

I was already trying not to slide down the hill. The left front kept coming up before I hit the hole. Did not think it was to steep. The engine only smoked on the turns.

D

druth

Mowed a rabbit before I saw him.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Cat toys

Carscw

Carscw

This is what I ran over.

Yes they are mine. Hit my head on a limb and flipped them off.
image-1565254848.jpg

R

RaptorSD

I ran over a pile of old rusty barbwire hidden in some weeds last week, locked up the deck and engine. I had to cut out the tangled mess. No damage luckily.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I ran over a pile of old rusty barbwire hidden in some weeds last week, locked up the deck and engine. I had to cut out the tangled mess. No damage luckily.

I once ran over some chain link fence in some weeds, took a big chunk off all the three blades. Motor is fine, though

R

RaptorSD

I once ran over some chain link fence in some weeds, took a big chunk off all the three blades. Motor is fine, though

Wow not good man. Yeah my blades weren't in great shape to begin with I'm sure it didn't help. The good news is I think that spot is clear of debris now that I've cleared out all the fencing. :laughing:

S

Shughes717

I ran over one of those little orange flags on wire that are used for dirt work and to mark trenching paths while mowing my sister's lawn last year. Her grass hadn't been mowed in two weeks so I didn't see it till I mowed it and the deck threw it into the side wall of my right rear tire. Don't know why the flag was there in the first place. The county never did any digging on that side of the lawn.

S

Shughes717

I carry the kill on contact spray that can spray at a good distance in a big can.

I use dish soap and water to kill red wasps. It drops them instantly. Never tried it on carpenter bees but it kills wasps very well.

Z

zmister11

I use dish soap and water to kill red wasps. It drops them instantly. Never tried it on carpenter bees but it kills wasps very well.

Just dish soap and water? I've never heard of that. I'll have to give it a try!

S

Shughes717

Just dish soap and water? I've never heard of that. I'll have to give it a try!

Yes, I mix between 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of dish soap to a quart of water. My wife gets on to me when I sneak out with her dish soap bottle when I find a new nest around the shop or the kids play house outside. She gets ready to wash dishes and the soap is gone lol. If you don't want to put that much in a sprayer get a spritzer bottle and put 1/4 bottle of soap in it and fill it the rest of the way with water.

Z

zmister11

Yes, I mix between 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of dish soap to a quart of water. My wife gets on to me when I sneak out with her dish soap bottle when I find a new nest around the shop or the kids play house outside. She gets ready to wash dishes and the soap is gone lol. If you don't want to put that much in a sprayer get a spritzer bottle and put 1/4 bottle of soap in it and fill it the rest of the way with water.

Lol that's funny. Well imma give that a try next time I see some bees!

S

Shughes717

Lol that's funny. Well imma give that a try next time I see some bees!

As I said, never tried it on bees but it kills the mess out of wasps. I would think it would work on bees, but we don't have a bee problem where I live. We have wasp nests everywhere though.

Z

zmister11

As I said, never tried it on bees but it kills the mess out of wasps. I would think it would work on bees, but we don't have a bee problem where I live. We have wasp nests everywhere though.

I'll give it a shot

S

Shughes717

I'll give it a shot

Bee careful! Ba dum bum :)

Z

zmister11

Bee careful! Ba dum bum :)

Lmao

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I will give it a try and see if it works

bt3

bt3

It seems I find everything BUT what has fallen off of my mower.

Three years ago I lost a critical part off of my Snapper Commercial, and even with a metal detector, no joy finding it.

Have lost some wingnuts over the years from Lawnboys. No luck finding them either.

Z

zmister11

Three years ago I lost a critical part off of my Snapper Commercial, and even with a metal detector, no joy finding it.

Have lost some wingnuts over the years from Lawnboys. No luck finding them either.

Yeah i lost my push mowers gas cap a few weeks ago in a yard. Lol couldn't find it

S

Shughes717

Yeah i lost my push mowers gas cap a few weeks ago in a yard. Lol couldn't find it

I lost a spray tip from the boom mounted on the back of my mower a couple of months ago and had to wait till the grass started to die in the area it fell off before I could locate it. I walked for 30 minutes looking for it the day it came off with no luck. The chemical left in the boom made a figure 8 pattern in my lawn. I hung it on a rod I was using to brace a small tree while turning lol. Grass has only recently recovered.

Z

zmister11

I lost a spray tip from the boom mounted on the back of my mower a couple of months ago and had to wait till the grass started to die in the area it fell off before I could locate it. I walked for 30 minutes looking for it the day it came off with no luck. The chemical left in the boom made a figure 8 pattern in my lawn. I hung it on a rod I was using to brace a small tree while turning lol. Grass has only recently recovered.

Haha that sucks!

S

Shughes717

Found something new in my lawn today. A ceramic Waffle House coffee mug. Don't even have a Waffle House near by. :smile:

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Found something new in my lawn today. A ceramic Waffle House coffee mug. Don't even have a Waffle House near by. :smile:

Lucky you! I love Waffle House and the mugs are nice and heavy.

S

Shughes717

Lucky you! I love Waffle House and the mugs are nice and heavy.

I brought it in and showed my wife she kept it. Lol

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I brought it in and showed my wife she kept it. Lol

I hope she washed it:eek:

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I once lost a bolt to a 36 inch deck on Companion tractor while mowing my lawn at my old house a few years ago.

I didn't have a metal detector at the time, so no luck finding it.

Last year I bought mine.

S

Shughes717

I hope she washed it:eek:

Lol, she did.

S

Shughes717

My daughter just reminded me of the peanut brittle recipe I found in the lawn a couple of months ago. My wife kept that too. :biggrin:

bt3

bt3

I had forgotten about this.

Years ago in another home I used to live in a bit out in the country but with homes around and 1.5 acre lots, I found a few 38 Special cartridges in the lawn near the street when mowing with my lawn tractor. I was mowing and I saw them as I passed by as they were laying there. They had shiny silver cases. I can only assume that someone threw them out the window when driving by. Very odd. I'm glad I did not hit the primer "Just Right" with the blade. Probably 1 in a million to have the blade hit that primer just right, but still I was glad I didn't run over them.

My wife said "Silver bullets.... The Lone Ranger was here."

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I ran over a tennis ball today but didn't damage the blades.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I hit the edge of a pool tarp yesterday and sucked about 3 feet under the deck. it killed the engine and was a nightmare to unwrap. I just cut it and unwound what was under the deck said a few classy words. after we where done mowing I told the customer I customized their pool cover and they didn't even care told me not to worry about they where buying a new one anyways.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I hit the edge of a pool tarp yesterday and sucked about 3 feet under the deck. it killed the engine and was a nightmare to unwrap. I just cut it and unwound what was under the deck said a few classy words. after we where done mowing I told the customer I customized their pool cover and they didn't even care told me not to worry about they where buying a new one anyways.

On the Scag?

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

yeah and that's what I was thinking. I haven't had this mower in the field 3 weeks and I've ruined an engine

bt3

bt3

I ran over a tennis ball today but didn't damage the blades.

I've done that a lot, especially on the Lawn Tractor. Neighbor kids playing with tennis balls, and they end up in my yard and I don't always see them on time.
I have hit a baseball once, and a few golf balls. Those run-overs were not pleasant. I always wonder why the kids don't come over after them. I always did as a kid. Oh well.

The worst run-over event for me was wire. Somehow about 20 feet of steel wire found its way to my yard. I didn't see it until too late and it wound up around both of my blades on the lawn tractor like you can't believe. What a mess. Took me quite a while to get it out. I could not have wound that wire around the blades better if I had fed it in manually.

exotion

exotion

One of my houses kids were playing with fishing line.... Most annoying thing ever especially in the weed trimmer

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Slightly hit some landscape fabric with my trimmer and a bunch of fibers wraped themselves around the head. What a mess!

S

SYW

Burnt 25 cents worth of gas to pick up a penny I found in a yard.:laughing:

S

Shughes717

Ha ha, was it on heads?:laughing:

exotion

exotion

I may or may not be guilty of this on multiple occasions lol. Not only do I burn 25 cents in gas for a penny but then my kids steal it from me by next morning lol

I

ILENGINE

I've done that a lot, especially on the Lawn Tractor. Neighbor kids playing with tennis balls, and they end up in my yard and I don't always see them on time.
I have hit a baseball once, and a few golf balls. Those run-overs were not pleasant. I always wonder why the kids don't come over after them. I always did as a kid. Oh well.

The worst run-over event for me was wire. Somehow about 20 feet of steel wire found its way to my yard. I didn't see it until too late and it wound up around both of my blades on the lawn tractor like you can't believe. What a mess. Took me quite a while to get it out. I could not have wound that wire around the blades better if I had fed it in manually.

A few years back my neighbor was bush hogging along the edge of his property and wrapped up 1/2 a mile of temporary phone line in the blades.

bt3

bt3

A few years back my neighbor was bush hogging along the edge of his property and wrapped up 1/2 a mile of temporary phone line in the blades.

I've cut phone line while mowing but never pulled it and wrapped it. 1/2 mile of wire is painful. That must have been a mess.

One of my homes is URD (Underground Rural Delivery) with all services, but the Phone Line had a tendency to uncover itself at times. I've cut it twice over the years. Since they ran brand new line, no issues. I think it's finally truly buried to proper depth. My hunch is the first line was just cut into the sod. Probably because the back yard (where the URD is run) is heavily wooded. Tree roots can be a problem for URD.

J

jamie11

Vaccum cleaner
Dead birds
Golf balls

Worn out shuttlecock, bottle of sun screen, and nylons. I was thinking that my nephews A& B were playing badminton under the sun so they slather some sun screen. Then nephew A got lost against nephew B in the game. Nephew A had gone mad so she pulled out the nylons in the racket and left it in the garden.

S

sjessen

Chain,dog run cable. And the dang ground rod next to the power meter box

Those are death on spindles.

Ric

Ric

I'd have to say since 50% of my clients are on a Golf Course, golf balls are my thing, those things are like a bullet when you hit them with a mower blade, along with Gator-aid bottles. Mail boxes and their post are another thing, I've managed to hit pieces of those after cars manage to run them over.

Carscw

Carscw

I'd have to say since 50% of my clients are on a Golf Course, golf balls are my thing, those things are like a bullet when you hit them with a mower blade, along with Gator-aid bottles. Mail boxes and their post are another thing, I've managed to hit pieces of those after cars manage to run them over.

I loved hitting golf balls when I worked at the country club.

Was raking a bunker one time and got hit in the chest with a ball. Knocked me down. Hurt for days.

I gotta agree about golf balls. My property is fenced all around. But seems a guy across the hollow would practice T'ing off..

Glad he was a renter, & long gone now.. I don't miss his glolf balls either.. :biggrin:

Ric

Ric

Yeah I was picking them up and had a 5 gallon pal full and couldn't give the thongs away. It's funny how everyone who play golf has to have there own make of golf ball.

By the 5 gal bucket, Yeowww !!! That's LOTS !!! I never 'found' anywhere near that many, but when I found the first one, (by accident) cause it was hid in the grass, & I was winging along.. I started watching out for them..

Never before anything like that, I am so far out in the country. I sure don't miss that guy, & agree every golf ball I found was same brand..

JD is best

JD is best

One time with my old push mower i ran over a really tough string and it stopped the mower dead. Luckily no damage was done

exotion

exotion

One time with my old push mower i ran over a really tough string and it stopped the mower dead. Luckily no damage was done

My crew mate ran over a door mat once that was funny shredded that thing

P

Polaraco

Took the head off a ground mole once.

Z

zmister11

Lmao

JD is best

JD is best

Cringe :eek:

Last year had problem with moles way in back, I would have enjoyed taking the heads off as many as I could..:laughing: