Repairs Stuck Tranny pulley bolt

Rplieth

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 7/8 bolt that is on the large tranny pulley at the rear of the mower appears to be stuck or is it a cross threaded bolt? I'm soaking it in PB right now but anyone have any tricks on breaking this loose (getting more leverage) given a socket doesn't have clearance due to that frame cross member. At this point the pulley is starting to deform where the screwdriver blade is holding in place.

2007 Troy built pony 13an77tg766

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Secure a long box wrench on the bolt and whack the wrench end with a 2 ft. long 2x4. It's known as a poor boy impact.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is actually a nut. I use an extension with a socket on it that just fits under the cross member. Then is most cases just use the impact at that point. Or sometimes put a punch through one of the pulley holes and remove the nut. If I remember correctly the nut is torqued to something like 50-60 lb/ft, If the belt isn't broken, I use the resistance of the belt drive system to help. Put the tranny in gear so turning the pulley also has to attempt to move the tractor.

Rplieth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belt is broken. I'll go get a punch as the screwdriver just slides under the crossmember when I apply too much. I'll have to get a more shallow socket and give that a try too.

Rplieth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it was not meant to come off (until next time:)). I ended up unbolting the rear of the frame to get enough clearance to slip the belt around the pulley.