stripped threads on spindle shaft

eddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I stripped the threads on one of my spindle shafts while replacing a blade, to the point where i can still get the blade on, but there's not much thread left for me to tighten the nut very strong. I have a John Deere model 135. Can i simply purchase and replace the shaft? Or, do i need to purchase and replace the entire spindle? Is this a do-it-yourself replacement? I'm fairly handy and have good tools. Thanks for any advice.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe it will depend on the specific deck and spindle, but IMO it would be best to replace the entire spindle if it has been used any great length of time, because with a new spindle you will have matched bearings and shaft that have not worn differently. Usually easier to replace the whole unit than just the shaft -- others may have another opinion.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Buy a Helicoil kit from your aoto parts store. You should be able to fix it without taking the shaft out. I know it is on a mower shaft blade but I have never had one problim with one yet. The kit comes with everything you will need for the repair but the electric drill.

PJ

Threads
I stripped the threads on one of my spindle shafts while replacing a blade, to the point where i can still get the blade on, but there's not much thread left for me to tighten the nut very strong. I have a John Deere model 135. Can i simply purchase and replace the shaft? Or, do i need to purchase and replace the entire spindle? Is this a do-it-yourself replacement? I'm fairly handy and have good tools. Thanks for any advice.

I agree with BKBrown a flying blade is not a nice picture thinking of safety for you and your famely as well as other. Suggest get a new spindle/assembly and replace it
Greetings
PJ

rmancini

Threads
Is the blade "captured " with a nut and not a cap screw ?
If it is, that would take the heli-coil fix out of the picture.
Rich

Bison

Threads
I would just drill and tap to the next size

fastback

Threads
I think I would also change the shaft if I were you. It may cost a few dollars, but the end result and piece of mind is worth the cost.

cav2108

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, John Deere sells just the spindle shafts. If you replace just the spindle shaft you are probably going to also need new seals and bearings to complete the job. If you haven't ever done bearings on an automobile, I wouldn't recommend that. BUT it will be a lot easier to just order a new spindle (like $50 on amazon). Be sure to order a pack of the self tapping screws (part# GX22456 for my D160 but you need to check John Deere for your model to be sure) that hold the spindle to the cutter deck too.