Export thread

Straight shaft or curved shaft trimmer. If you could only own one, which would it be?

MowerMike

MowerMike

If you could only own one string trimmer, would you choose a straight shaft or a curved shaft, and what are your reasons ?

Parkmower

Parkmower

No brainer. Straight

MowerMike

MowerMike

No brainer. Straight

Reasons, please. Also, please vote in the poll. Thanks.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Not to be a jerk. But if you've used both you'd know the answer.think 98% would agree. And I don't know what the poll is. I use mobile so not show.

S

SeniorCitizen

I've used both. No brainer, curved for average weed whacking. They are easier for me to manipulate. I don't need the awkward extra length. Try both before you purchase. I've not tried the edging feature so the straight may excel there.

Survey ( poll ) fees have increased at my house from $125.00 to $275.00 cash.

Ric

Ric

If you could only own one string trimmer, would you choose a straight shaft or a curved shaft, and what are your reasons ?

I've used both and I like the Straight shaft. I like the added length. The curved shaft IMO is more for the homeowner to use for average weed whacking or trimming. For me the straight shaft is faster and easier to manipulate than a curved.

midnite rider

midnite rider

I prefer the straight shaft over the curved shaft. The straight shaft string trimmer I have, being longer, is more comfortable for me to use and easier on my back since I am above average height. If you are shorter you may prefer the curved shaft. I found myself leaning over with the curved shaft trimmer I have. Also the straight shaft string trimmer is more powerful and durable than the curved shaft string trimmer. The straight shaft also gives better visibility, manuverability and reach. The curved shaft is lighter than the straight shaft and probably easier to balance, although it seems to vibrate more than the straight shaft does. Of course you are also going to pay more for the straight shaft than the curved shaft trimmer.
curved_and_straight_trimmers.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Straight shaft trimmer. I have used both and like the straight shaft because it has better reach, and for a 6-foot-tall person like me it fits me better.
echo - Copy.jpg

Band-aid Kid

Band-aid Kid

I've had both. The straight shaft models enable me to have extra attachments, ie polesaw.

metz12

metz12

its easier to trim bigger areas with the straight shaft. i like to use my curved shaft for the closer up next to the house and stuff. it is easier to handle then the straight shaft but i would rather prefer the straight shaft.

midnite rider

midnite rider

I've had both. The straight shaft models enable me to have extra attachments, ie polesaw.

Good point that they are more versatile.

Carscw

Carscw

I like a curved shaft because the head spins clockwise and MOST straight shafts spin counterclockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

MowerMike

MowerMike

I like a curved shaft because the head spins clockwise and MOST straight shafts spin counterclockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Why is that ? Would you have to move right to left instead of left to right, or does it not matter ?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Would you have to move right to left instead of left to right, or does it not matter ?

It depends if you want the grass to shoot away from you or towards you!

MowerMike

MowerMike

Straight shaft trimmer. I have used both and like the straight shaft because it has better reach, and for a 6-foot-tall person like me it fits me better.
View attachment 12604

I'm only 5'-3", so maybe curved is better for my height. Also, I have very few places where I need to reach very far.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I'm only 5'-3", so maybe curved is better for my height. Also, I have very few places where I need to reach very far.

Yeah. I mow some yards that have swingsets and I don't think you would be able to get under the slide with a curved shaft trimmer.....sometimes I have trouble with my straight shaft trimmer!

Ric

Ric

I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable with and how much money you want to spend. People who tend to use the curve shaft trimmers like (Homelite, weedeater, poulan etc.) are homeowners because they are inexpensive and will not be used but maybe a couple of times a month and for them when they go bad are easily replaceable. The commercial guys who buy (Stihl, Echo, Shin, etc.) spend more money and buy straight shaft and all have different reasons as to why.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable with and how much money you want to spend.

If that is so, then why does Stihl state that the FS 50 C-E has an " 8" longer shaft than FS 40 C-E trimmer ideal for taller users " ?

As to money, it doesn't matter to me. If I was trying to pinch pennies, I'd be buying a junk brand like Homelite or Weed Eater anyway.

Ric

Ric

If that is so, then why does Stihl state that the FS 50 C-E has an " 8" longer shaft than FS 40 C-E trimmer ideal for taller users " ?

As to money, it doesn't matter to me. If I was trying to pinch pennies, I'd be buying a junk brand like Homelite or Weed Eater anyway.

I didn't say they didn't make a trimmer for taller people. I said I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable using, to be clear I was referring to the type that someone would use, not the length. I do agree with you on the money and the brand part though.

BHLC

BHLC

Straight shaft all the way, longer reach, more comfortable body position, easier on the machine. I love my Kawasaki's!!

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I love my Kawasaki's!!

They look nice! :thumbsup:

wjjones

wjjones

The straight shaft keeps you from having to bend, and reach as much.

MowerMike

MowerMike

....and the decision is ....

Straight shaft Echo SRM-225. Just picked it up today at a dealer open house, where I demo'd several Echo and Stihl trimmers. It is surprisingly lightweight and easy to handle, so I won't need a shoulder harness. They had a modest 10% discount on it too. :smile:

IMGP1486.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Re: ....and the decision is ....

Straight shaft Echo SRM-225. Just picked it up today at a dealer open house, where I demo'd several Echo and Stihl trimmers. It is surprisingly lightweight and easy to handle, so I won't need a shoulder harness. They had a modest 10% discount on it too. :smile:

View attachment 12663

Great choice. You will be happy with it, but let us know your first impressions when you get to put it to work! :smile:

MowerMike

MowerMike

Great choice. You will be happy with it, but let us know your first impressions when you get to put it to work! :smile:

More here >>> http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/echo-forum/13980-look-what-i-just-got-5.html

wjjones

wjjones

View attachment 12663

Echo makes some good equipment you will be happy with it.

detdrbuzzard

detdrbuzzard

I have a toro and a royoby, both are straight shaft and take attachments

clpolcar

clpolcar

Used both. Prefer straight shaft more. Stihl FS 90 r. Great machine

Mike88se

Mike88se

Did I answer already? If so it was straight and still is. For so many reasons. I have houses with shallow ditches tho and I'm thinking a curved shaft would be more suited to some of those ditches.

searsboy

searsboy

I use both but I prefer a straight shaft because the seem to be a little easer for me to use

X-man

X-man

Straight shaft. Much easier to use, I hate using curved shaft with a passion.

exotion

exotion

There is a reason straight shaft is more expensive. All large companies use straight shaft trimmers. They are the easiest to use and most effecient

Carscw

Carscw

There is a reason straight shaft is more expensive. All large companies use straight shaft trimmers. They are the easiest to use and most effecient

They cost more because of the gear reduction knuckle on the end that gives more torque to the head and changes the rotation of the head to counter clockwise that everyone forgets to put grease in.

exotion

exotion

They cost more because of the gear reduction knuckle on the end that gives more torque to the head and changes the rotation of the head to counter clockwise that everyone forgets to put grease in.

Everyone who doesn't read the manual lol

Wildcat

Wildcat

Curved shaft. I find it easy to control better than straight shafts.

upupandaway

upupandaway

I say both.... curved the head spins the same direction as motor so I find edging easier without kicking stones at my face. straight i get less clippings getting all over me.

FrankInNC

FrankInNC

Straight. I'm 6'03" and curved shaft trimmers are typically too short for me.

I'm a "leftie" so I stand on right side of wacker & I still like the straight shaft best, having had a curved shaft & last 5 years running a straight shaft.