stihl "wood boss" chainsaw bogging down

lawnguy67

Threads
recently purchased a used stihl chainsaw. it has worked great until now. the only work i have done to it recently was to tighten the chain. however, i don't feel that i over tightened it because i can still pull up on the chain and have enough slack to see most of the bottom teeth on the under side of my chain. while i was using it the other day it got to the point where i was cutting a wedge shape out of a log (i wasn't even that far into the log) when it started to bog down every time i pushed the gas. it also is doing this thing now where i put it into the stop position to kill the engine and it don't stop immediately like it use to. i have not got the time yet to back off on my chain a little bit just to see if that has anything to do with it.

thanks any info would be greatly appreciated!

Threads
recently purchased a used stihl chainsaw. it has worked great until now. the only work i have done to it recently was to tighten the chain. however, i don't feel that i over tightened it because i can still pull up on the chain and have enough slack to see most of the bottom teeth on the under side of my chain. while i was using it the other day it got to the point where i was cutting a wedge shape out of a log (i wasn't even that far into the log) when it started to bog down every time i pushed the gas. it also is doing this thing now where i put it into the stop position to kill the engine and it don't stop immediately like it use to. i have not got the time yet to back off on my chain a little bit just to see if that has anything to do with it.

thanks any info would be greatly appreciated!

Change the fuel filter, and check the fuel line for split spots.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like the main problem is that your drive sprocket is totally worn out,, pics could confirm this immediately. The worse news is that the bottom part of your chain is also boogered up and needs replaced as well. As far as the slow stopping, that is probably just a dirty contact on your kill switch, a little sandpaper would cure it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I find when a 2 cycle bogs down it a fuel problem, filter , lines, plugged carburetor , Not shutting off sound more electrical. switch etc. As far as chain go's that should be a daily maintenance thing, sharpen, chain tension, clean bar groove.

Threads
pressure test fuel line for air leaks, replace fuel filter, clear air filter, check exhaust for blocked spark arrestor, check sparkplug, check wires to master control switch,

lawnguy67

Threads
thank y'all for the input. now i have a good checklist of things to check and clean. then if these don't work. ill try to repost soon

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your description sounds like classic worn sprocket problems, if you tried to tighten the chain and the engine bogged down, but then the chain was still loose to be hanging from the bar.

Here is a pic of an old worn out sprocket, I am guessing that yours is much, much worse. The second pic is of a new sprocket.

Attachments

• DSCN3261.jpg
    DSCN3261.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN3262.jpg
    DSCN3262.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 16

lawnguy67

Threads
i cleaned the air filter and looked over to carburetor and gas lines. all these things looked good. so i took fish's advice and took off the bar and chain. the sprocket did look worn like the picture you posted. (even a little worse) so thank y'all for the advice and wen i get the time i will pick up another sprocket and see if this does the trick.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like I said, your chain is toast as well... If you run the old chain on your new sprocket, you will tear it up quickly.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
But with all of this "said", your saw likely has "points" as well, which could easily explain running problems too.....