Stihl MS 260 Chainsaw Oil Going Behind Plate Instead of Onto Chain

greggjones

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Stihl MS 260 Chainsaw Oil Going Behind Plate Instead of Onto Chain
I have an MS 260 chain saw with a 16 inch bar. I borrowed the saw from my dad and the chain and bar were badly worn out so I replaced them. Things were going great for the duration of time I've had the saw until i noticed things smoking one day. I thought I was out of oil but I wasn't. I noticed the chain was dry. Usually it had oil on it. So I took off the bar and chain and made sure the oil hole wasn't clogged and wiped down the area around it. Behind the bar is that metal plate where that covers the area the bolts protrude out of with the oiler on top and a slit in the plate for oil to come out. I took it off and wiped everything down. I put the plate back on.

The saw was still smoking and just wouldn't cut. I've manually oiled the chain and it seems to do better but it dries up so quick I can't tell if it is helping.

I took the bar and chain off and ran the saw to watch if oil would come out. What is happening is the oil is dripping down behind that metal plate instead of down that little channel onto my chain. The metal pate has that slit in it for oil to come out. Well the plate kind of overhangs the channel. So oil can kind of pool in between that channel and plate. The plate is tight though. Now I can't seem to get that screw holding it in place out to check behind it again. The screw comes out a bit and then just spins and spin and spins. It isn't stripped either.

Any idea why oil is going behind that plate and not onto the chain? Such an annoying problem when the saw runs so well other than that and I just don't have a ton of time to devote to figuring it out.

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Behind the side plate is a hole in the saw body that the oil comes through.
It is connected to the oil pump by a short hose.
It is possible that the hose has split, fallen off or the body has a crack in it.

Bad news is the body is also the crankcase so it is a big job to the to the pump
The screw threds directly into the side so that thread is stripped thus it is a case of prying the slide plate while turnng the screw.

greggjones

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think you understood. I know there is a hole that oil comes out of. That is the issue. Oil is coming out of that hole but instead of traveling down that channel to the chain it is dribbling down behind the plate.

So oil comes out of that hole and dribbles behind that plate and beads off the saw before it can make it to the chain.

I don't think that screw is stripped because it screws in so easily but ill look.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When the bar is in there that plate is sandwiched flat between the bar and the body.
Unless there is sawdust holding the plate off the side in which case you need to remove it and clean out behind the guide plate.

In the saw bar there is a hole to allow the oil to get into the chain this must be clean.

And yes I do understand and I even checked the parts diagrams before I answered your post.
There are only 3 reasons why the oil will not come out of the slot.
1) supply tube has fallen off
2) case is split.
3) Guide plate is bent twisted or has crap behind it.
However as the plate is always clamped tight you should never get crap behind it
And to check you still have to remove it
The pump is item 1 ( or 14) on the diagram.
Oil flows through the tube item 15
Which fits into the back of the hole in the case
Which is behind the slot inthe guard plate

So what is it that I am not understanding about your saw ?

MS 260 parts.jpg