STIHL MM55

G man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips!

STIHL MM 55 very disappointing as a tiller. Gear broke after 3 hrs total use. $200 repair if I deicide to get it fixed. Total loss by my standards if its going to break with every little rock it hits. I thought this tiller was a step up from the Mantis. I've used them for 15+ years. They last maybe 5 yrs for me but only because I give them a heck of a beating. Free tine replacement if a tip snaps off. I'd get one or two replacements a season. Weak link was the handlebars. It would bounce so much with my rocky soil that handlebars would first crack and then eventually snap somewhere between 3 and 5 seasons. Stihl has great reputation for professional tools. I thought this year I was upgrading going from Mantis to Stihl. Just $100 more in cost. MM 55 looked tough, did start much easier with quick start feature, and fold up wheels made it much more fun to transport. No more getting cut in the calf with one of those tines. But 3 hrs use and the machine is dead. Forget about it. I'm going back to Mantis.