Stihl 028AV super..suspect clutch slipping

toggenburg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Use the saw weekly, recently, saw revved up fine but bogged down when blade put to a log. Adjusted the idle/high + LA screws but no change (put screws back to original settings), Opened up the case and had to replace a bad oil pump gear.
No improvement in bogging.
Stupidly, had all the stuff off, down to looking at the clutch, started it up, and dummy, it threw one of the 3 clutch segments right off the saw with 2 springs. Retrieved the segment, purchased 3 springs and replaced the missing 2 springs. Also, put on new spur sprocket, new needle bearing.
Trouble is that when I pull on the rope, the shaft turns, but the sprocket does not move.
I can spin the sprocket easily, do I need to replace that 3rd clutch spring? Or use a screwdriver to see if the segments can/will move outwards with pressure, or what? I did try to block the piston with a piece of dense plastic and put a 3/4 socket and or wrench on the clutch nut, but (left hand thread I presume) but could not remove the nut to get the clutch off (so that's why I just replaced the springs instead of an assembly).

New clutch from dealer is $85 + labor.....I don't think I can afford to put that much money into this old saw I picked up off Ebay...I have another 028 wood boss (since new 30 years of good service until the bearings gave out last winter).

Rambling here, but what should I do next?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use the saw weekly, recently, saw revved up fine but bogged down when blade put to a log. Adjusted the idle/high + LA screws but no change (put screws back to original settings), Opened up the case and had to replace a bad oil pump gear.
No improvement in bogging.
Stupidly, had all the stuff off, down to looking at the clutch, started it up, and dummy, it threw one of the 3 clutch segments right off the saw with 2 springs. Retrieved the segment, purchased 3 springs and replaced the missing 2 springs. Also, put on new spur sprocket, new needle bearing.
Trouble is that when I pull on the rope, the shaft turns, but the sprocket does not move.
I can spin the sprocket easily, do I need to replace that 3rd clutch spring? Or use a screwdriver to see if the segments can/will move outwards with pressure, or what? I did try to block the piston with a piece of dense plastic and put a 3/4 socket and or wrench on the clutch nut, but (left hand thread I presume) but could not remove the nut to get the clutch off (so that's why I just replaced the springs instead of an assembly).

New clutch from dealer is $85 + labor.....I don't think I can afford to put that much money into this old saw I picked up off Ebay...I have another 028 wood boss (since new 30 years of good service until the bearings gave out last winter).

Rambling here, but what should I do next?

That is how the clutch is supposed to function, you don't want the chain to turn when pulling the rope, the clutch expands and engages the sprocket when a certain
rpm is reached. BTW, if you got 3 new springs, you should have used them all, saved the old one for some other chore.