Sticking starter

hrdman2luv

Threads
I have a Briggs 17hp OHV on a Murray rider I'm trying to finish up to sell, but the darn starter keeps sticking in the flywheel. I was thinking that the battery may be bad. So I put on another one that was fully charged. And even when I bypass the solenoid, it still barely turns, and sticks.
Now, I'm guessing the reason it's sticking, is because it's just not turning it fast enough. So I put on another used starter, (one that's a little longer) and still having the same problem.

If I'm not mistaken, I've already adjusted the valves on it, a few months ago. But, I'm gonna go take a look see, to make sure I adjusted them right. And try to jump the starter from my pick up. If it turns over better from the truck battery, I'll know it's a bad battery. Or at least I'll think it's a bad battery.

Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
take the spark plug out.
If it spins fine then you are looking at the decompressor , valve lash / sticky valve.

hrdman2luv

Threads
take the spark plug out.
If it spins fine then you are looking at the decompressor , valve lash / sticky valve.

Thanks for that. I Re adjusted the valves. For some reason, they were all set at .08. Instead of .04. Anyways, that helped some. But didn't solve it.
The valves opened and closed fine.

I didn't try the jumper (from my pick up yet) but I don't suspect it's a battery issue.