Starting problem

kjgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I try to start my Craftsman lawn tractor, it engages the starter a couple of times but doesn't turn the engine over fast enough to start it. I have replaced the battery and the solenoid. I removed the starter and hooked it up with jumper cables to a 12 volt battery and made the starter spin so I reinstalled it. The only way we can use start it is by using starting fluid. It is a YT 3000 Model 917.28851 with a 21 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. I have had no problems with this tractor until this happened. Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it came to me I would remove the carb, ultrasonic clean it and rebuild it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Suggest checking to see if the choke is fully closing before pulling carburetor.

Last edited:

kjgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it came to me I would remove the carb, ultrasonic clean it and rebuild it.
Could it be a carb problem if it runs perfectly after we get it started using starting fluid? So our routine is we remove the air cleaner, spray the starting fluid, reinstall the air cleaner. Then it starts with the key. Then we mow without any problems for about two hours. Someone thought I need to replace the camshaft because it's not releasing the compression when I try and start it. That sounds expensive!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd do what Star said first, last fall my cub got harder starting... lo and behold the choke wasn't closing all of the way.. maybe 3/4" of the way.... adjusted the screw that moves the choke linkage (kohler courage, choke and throttle all in 1) and she fired right up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In this case it may just need the throttle / or choke cable readjusted.