Starting problem.

lhargro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19.5 hp. IC B & S. It will not start. I knew it was getting fuel so I was checking for spark. I disconnected 1 plug wire and was trying to hold it close to bare metal so I could detect a spark. While I was doing this I accidently touched the plug wire to the metal. The engine fired right up on one cylinder. This had me scratching my head. I tried again. Fired right up. So I switched to the other plug wire with the same result. But with both wires connected to the plugs I get nothing. What's up with this?

Threads
can you list your model, type & code numbers of the engine, stamped on the rocker covers

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is one of the older opposed flat head twin engines with the single ignition module with 2 wires, then you need to replace the module. There is a broken wire inside the module that is preventing proper grounding, and since each end of the secondary winding goes to a plug, it uses the other plug as the ground. Had one a few years back that would only run if one plug wire was disconnected.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL hit it square on the head, time to replace the module.