Starting Issue with JD 175 Hydro

toaster816

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here, looking for some information from the experts.

I have a 175 Hydro that has starting issue. Some background on the tractor:

-it has a relay kit which from what I've ready bypasses the seat safety switch
-the battery has been replaced and at the positive and negative terminals the voltage reads 12.56
-tank is full with fresh gas
-air filter is clean
-when clutch is depressed and key is turned to 'start' the motor just clicks repeatedly and flywheel does not crank
-voltage at battery terminals when key is turned to 'start' drops to 4.03, then rises back up to around 12.56 when key is turned off
-I have measured the positive battery cable terminal at the other end where it connects to the solenoid starter and the readings are the same as the readings on the terminal (12.56 at rest, drops to around 4 when key turned to the 'start')
-I can get the motor to crank and turn over by jumping it from truck and the tractor functions perfectly, then once I shut it off, I cannot get it to crank and turn over unless jumped.
-I took the spark plug out to see if I could at least get it to crank without working against the compression and the flywheel spun about half way then stopped, and more clicking

I am wondering why the voltage dips so much when the key is turned to start, especially since the battery is new, the voltage at rest reads 12.54 and all electrical connections and fuses look intact. The only thing I haven't done which to my limited knowledge is the last thing I can think to do is clean the other end of the ground cable where it connects to the motor, sometimes I've found the grit that accumulates over time insulates the terminal preventing it from grounding properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for the long winded for post.

Taylor

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
The big voltage drop suggests to me that the battery is bad.(bad cell)

Have you tried to jump start it with another power source?

toaster816

Forum Newbie
Threads
The big voltage drop suggests to me that the battery is bad.(bad cell)

Have you tried to jump start it with another power source?

Yes I have jumped the tractor successfully with my pick up truck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run a jumper from the battery - to a good earth like the oil drain bolt & try that.
Then run a jumper from the battery + to the hot terminal on the starter solenoid and try that.
Run a jumper from the switched side of the starter solenoid to the + on the starter motor & try that.

If it starts successfully with any of these then the umped wire has a bad connection or is broken, internally corroded etc.

If it makes no difference then as ppreiously noted the battery is toast.

toaster816

Forum Newbie
Threads
Run a jumper from the battery - to a good earth like the oil drain bolt & try that.
Then run a jumper from the battery + to the hot terminal on the starter solenoid and try that.
Run a jumper from the switched side of the starter solenoid to the + on the starter motor & try that.

If it starts successfully with any of these then the umped wire has a bad connection or is broken, internally corroded etc.

If it makes no difference then as ppreiously noted the battery is toast.

Thank you I will give that a try.

JD is best

Threads
Was it fine before the new battery?