starter problems

Dgowen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have kohler command 27hp Cub Cadet I just purchased. When trying to start, the starter will engage until I release ignition switch. Other times something will release bendix gear, therefore disengaging flywheel only seconds after trying to start. Starter is still spinning when this happens, its just not engaging flywheel anymore. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things come to mind. One, you may have a loose ground at either the battery to chassis or loose starter. Two, you may need to replace the starter bendix drive. I wound start by checking all connections making sure they are clean and tight.

Dgowen

Forum Newbie
Threads
The more I'm looking into this I think I have other problems. When it is turning over fully its slow, so slow it doesn't want to crank. Im seeing alot about compression problems and valve clearance. Does anybody know if this is wise to try myself? Im pretty mechanically inclined but by no means a mechanic.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you positive that the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Going to have to start there. Only you can decide whether you want to tackle this on your own. Here is a manual which will help you decide which direction you want to go. If this is not the correct manual, post all your engine numbers and I'll try to post the correct one.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...d-CV17-CV18-CV20-CV22-CV25-CV22-CV23-CV26.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like the bar man mixing a drink, start with the cheap & easy first .
Clean all of the terminals where they attach to the mower including the two on the top of the solenoid.
Check the trigger wire (s) at the solenoid Thin wire near the base.
Make sure the battery show at least 12.5 V

If no joy then pull the spark plug and try the starter.
If it works properly with the plug out then go and adjust the valve lash
look closely at the teeth on both the starter & the flywheel.
If one is missing or a couple badly worn you can get your symptoms