starter dragging (valves have been adjusted)

d_sharier

Threads
Yes the motor is very hard to turn by hand past the compression stroke. The valves seem to only open and close in their normal fashion, i do not observe an additional opening to relieve compression. Pretty sure my compression release has failed.
As far as parts go, looks like a case gasket and the cam/lifters is about all i would need for cam replacement?

Another thing that I would add to the list that is of utmost importance, and I am sure some people will argue this, is the Briggs service manual for this engine. Single cylinder OHV Manual Part# 276781. The book will have all of the necessary information in it. Torque specs and tolerances. There is a chance too, that other damage may have been done inside the crankcase when the compression release failed. If you can envision the the engine running at approx 3,600 rpm ( assuming that) and a small piece of metal being thrown into the mix, it's like a pinball game on steroids. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. I would get a manual, pull the engine, disassemble, inspect and make a parts list, then order the parts, and repair. Just my 2 cents

d_sharier

Threads
ThaxtexGM
Hi try this drain out all your old petrol, petrol goes off after 30 days. Have a look at this!

Just curious, I mean no disrespect, but what does gasoline have to do with an engines ability, or lack there of, to properly cycle? Assuming that gasoline has not filled the crankcase.

ThaxtexGM

Threads
Was working fine then parked up for two months!!!!

tley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got around to tearing the motor down. Everyone that guessed the compression release on the camshaft was correct. I found the broken arm in the sump. So getting a new camshaft ordered. I also found that my intake pushrod had A LOT of wear about an inch from the end. Other than the pushrod, is there something else I need to replace while I have it apart?