Start without ignition key

pexaj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!

I have a Gravely 252Z, and I've lost my ignition key. A replacement is on the way, but will take a week to get here. I'm trying to figure out how I could jump the ignition switch and start the engine without a key. The ignition switch has 5 posts, none of which are marked.
It seems logical to me that I should be able to jump one wire to another to start the engine. I'm guessing that on the relay that the ignition switch plugs into, I need to jump the battery post to the fuel solenoid post, and then touch the battery post to the starter solenoid post to start the engine (and then remove it once the engine is started). The problem is, that the ignition switch's posts aren't marked, and I can't find a diagram for it anywhere. I don't want to start connecting wires wily-nicely and mess up a magneto or something. Does anyone have an idea of which posts go where on this ignition switch? And which ones I should connect?

pexaj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!

I have a Gravely 252Z, and I've lost my ignition key. A replacement is on the way, but will take a week to get here. I'm trying to figure out how I could jump the ignition switch and start the engine without a key. The ignition switch has 5 posts, none of which are marked.
It seems logical to me that I should be able to jump one wire to another to start the engine. I'm guessing that on the relay that the ignition switch plugs into, I need to jump the battery post to the fuel solenoid post, and then touch the battery post to the starter solenoid post to start the engine (and then remove it once the engine is started). The problem is, that the ignition switch's posts aren't marked, and I can't find a diagram for it anywhere. I don't want to start connecting wires wily-nicely and mess up a magneto or something start tractor without key. Does anyone have an idea of which posts go where on this ignition switch? And which ones I should connect?
thanks in advance for any help

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Will need the six model number from the serial number tag. As the 992045 (PM252Z) uses a six terminal switch so its wiring will be different.

But personally if it only takes a week to get key just wait for it and it a lawn vacation.

Lawn Addict
Threads
When ever ordering a key, I feel it is prudent to order a spare with it..

Forest#2

Threads
I have a big pile of old keys of all kinds.
When I get a lawn tractor with no key most generally (90% of time) I can usually find 3 or 4 keys that will work easily. (even house keys)