Spring woes

rigoletto

Threads
People,

Have a MTD model 667. 1998. I replaced the deck belt and in the process I had to loosen the belt tension in order to pop on the belt to the main pulley, so I released that big tough spring that clips to the left side of the transmission bracket. I neglected to take note of where it hooks onto the other end. Now I have no idea. The parts diagram is not very clear. According to the parts diagram that spring is #34. Can anyone help with perhaps a better diagram showing where the other end of the spring clips onto?

The only logical spot I can determine is a rod closest to the rear bracket- on which the spring end could clip onto nicely. Is that it? If so, it is brutal pulling the spring back far enough to clip onto the bracket hook. How do you do it? Crow bar?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the front it hooks onto the rear square plate on the deck
On the back it goes either onto the axel or through a slot in the back body panel .
I use a spring hook that I made for this job with a 1' long handle so I can get both hands around it
hook it to the rear of the spring , feet anchored against the axel, back bent like a rower then lean back & pull
If I am not strong enough for that then it is connect both ends of the spring first hook a ratchet tie down ( or 2 ) between the front of the deck than the front axels
Set the deck lever to the lowest setting then tighten the tie downs till I can get the bolts to fit
Easy to push the deck up or down when the tie downs are doing the spring stretching

rigoletto

Threads
I will try the spring hook idea, have to make one first. What a job!

rigoletto

Threads
Whew, got it done. used a twisted steel cable, looped it and hooked it to the spring end. Then the other end of cable , I twisted it multiple times around a 1x2, and pulled like mad until the spring hooked! Undid the cable, and all set. I have done many maintenance tasks on this old mower but this has got to be the toughest. Thanks, people.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Whew, got it done. used a twisted steel cable, looped it and hooked it to the spring end. Then the other end of cable , I twisted it multiple times around a 1x2, and pulled like mad until the spring hooked! Undid the cable, and all set. I have done many maintenance tasks on this old mower but this has got to be the toughest. Thanks, people.
Great
go have a beer you deserve one
the tomorrow go mow your grass