Spindle socket size

Rls8836

Threads
I have a Scag zero turn Tiger Cat 2013 61” Velocity deck, STC61V- 30BS J4700360 I’m having to replace the drivers blade spindle and the center blade spindle. I have the spindles off and now want to disassemble the spindles and replace the bearings. What size socket is needed. It appears to be a 1 5/16“ or larger. Do I need a thin wall socket?
What all is inside the spindle. Two bearings and races, top and bottom? A friend who had a stronger impact wrench than mine helped me get the top spindle nuts off. He has three ExMarks and rebuilds his on spindles. He states there is some plastic pieces in the spindle housing also that should be replaced. I have not seen the plastic pieces shown in any diagram I’ve looked at.
The spindles have no sideways movement, or up and down movement, just really rough sounding, and one I cannot turn by hand. One of my spindles had a ear broken off about 2 1/2” long, my friend recommended I replace that housing, and not the other. I see spindle housings complete from $48.-$217. I’ve never rebuilt one of these before but would not be against doing it. Where do you all recommend buying the parts from and your consensus on what I should be buying?
Thanks for reading my post and please address each thing I’ve stated. Thankyou

Bertrrr

Threads
I've rebuilt a number of them , not sure what " plastic " he's talking about unless it's the bearing seal
I've gotten complete spindle housings from amazon a few times with good results,
If you get the nut removed you can knock the bearing out and get a number off them and order replacement bearings pretty cheap. Don't worry about saving the bearings since they're seized or bad anyway, look at the shaft good and make sure it's not scored up in which case you'll be better off replacing the whole housing assembly.
I usually remove the inner seal on the bearings and install a grease zert to be able to grease them every so often .
Impact sockets are best but I've used regular sockets all the time with no problems

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is no plastic inside the Scag spindles. Rebuild components would the top and bottom seals and two sets LM44646/LM44610 taper bearings and cups.

Personally I would just a set of aftermarket spindles as the spindle shaft threads are usually beaten up pretty bad. But the socket used is a 1-1/2" twelve point thin wall deep well. This why I keep a set of spindles in stock as it cost more than the after market spindles if you have the spindle shaft and nut along with the bearings and seals.

Also be careful knocking out the cups as there is a snap involved that can be broken with the punch.

Last edited:

Rls8836

Threads
I've rebuilt a number of them , not sure what " plastic " he's talking about unless it's the bearing seal
I've gotten complete spindle housings from amazon a few times with good results,
If you get the nut removed you can knock the bearing out and get a number off them and order replacement bearings pretty cheap. Don't worry about saving the bearings since they're seized or bad anyway, look at the shaft good and make sure it's not scored up in which case you'll be better off replacing the whole housing assembly.
I usually remove the inner seal on the bearings and install a grease zert to be able to grease them every so often .
Impact sockets are best but I've used regular sockets all the time with no problems
Thank you for your info

Rls8836

Threads
There is no plastic inside the Scag spindles. Rebuild components would the top and bottom seals and two sets LM44646/LM44610 taper bearings and cups.

Personally I would just a set of aftermarket spindles as the spindle shaft threads are usually beaten up pretty bad. But the socket used is a 1-1/2" twelve point thin wall deep well. This why I keep a set of spindles in stock as it cost more than the after market spindles if you have the spindle shaft and nut along with the bearings and seals.

Also be careful knocking out the cups as there is a snap involved that can be broken with the punch.
Thank you, and also for the info on the size of the socket and the info on the bearings