Export thread

Spindle problem

H

houstad

I have a MTD yard machine (MTD model 607) that I have owned from day 1. The other day I went to remove the blades and the entire bolt spun but the blade didn't move. I had the blade blocked as usual and used my 1/2 socket on a breaker bar that I use just for this purpose. I have removed the deck and cleaned it to get it ready for repairs. Before I get into things I thought I would ask your opinions on what to look for? Thanks all for your help.

S

SeniorCitizen

How could the blade move when you had it blocked?

H

houstad

How could the blade move when you had it blocked?

The blade didn't move. The entire spindle moved.

S

SeniorCitizen

Look at the other blade disassembled and if the blade drive looks like the one pictured, the one you can't get apart is shot. Buy a new assembly.

Attachments

H

houstad

The blade didn't move. The entire spindle moved.

The stars on the spindle shaft are worn down causing the blade to slip

S

SeniorCitizen

Take the pulley off so you can install it on the new spindle you buy.

I take my pulleys nuts off with a 2x4 impactor either impacting the end of a breaker bar or good long sturdy box wrench.

For safety I tether the wrench.

Attachments

R

Robin Williams

Take the pulley off so you can install it on the new spindle you buy.

I take my pulleys nuts off with a 2x4 impactor either impacting the end of a breaker bar or good long sturdy box wrench.

For safety I tether the wrench.

By far the best way is an impact gun.
Saves a lot of grief and skinned knuckles, ask me how I know!
No Don't!

Boobala

Boobala

Use an impact wrench (as mentioned earlier) either electric or pneumatic.... to get the pulley nut off ,then install 2 nuts on the shaft where pulley was.. locking 1 against the other, hold the bottom nut secure...
( wrench ) then use the impact to remove blade nut ... use anti-seize compound when installing nuts on the shaft ...next time around . :biggrin:

reynoldston

reynoldston

By far the best way is an impact gun.
Saves a lot of grief and skinned knuckles.

I agree 100%. I do know from experience. Yes the 2X4 impactor works also if you don't own a impact gun or out in the field.