Spindle bearing replacement Craftsman 42" riding Mower

scoblebob

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Spindle bearing replacement Craftsman 42" riding Mower
I've already pressed out the spindle shaft with lower bearing attached. How do I now remove the failing bearing from the shaft, to replace it? Thanks. scoblebob

Threads
Do you have the bearing kit already ?? A spindle might be cheaper in the long run ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having HAD craftsman 42 riders in the past, just getting a new complete spindle is cheaper, I used to pay $15. a spindle.

That lower bearing is pressed onto the shaft. So you would have to have special puller, or cut it & take it off in pieces WEARING YOUR SAFETY GLASSES of course.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clamp the bearing in your vice and tap the shaft out, it s a light press fit.
If you have a bearing seperator clamp it around the bearing, sit it on your vice, put the nut back on the shaft and thump.
If you have an air hammer clamp bearing in vice and apply air hammer to shaft it just about falls off

scoblebob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having HAD craftsman 42 riders in the past, just getting a new complete spindle is cheaper, I used to pay $15. a spindle.

That lower bearing is pressed onto the shaft. So you would have to have special puller, or cut it & take it off in pieces WEARING YOUR SAFETY GLASSES of course.

Spindles are now almost $80.00 Canadian. I'm off to my workshop now to have some fun. Will let you now how I make out.

Thanks. scoblebob, Canada

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I replace the bearings with the spindle housing still in the deck.
About 10 to 15 minutes a side depending if the spindle drops strait out of the housing with the bearing on or it leaves the bearing in place.
You are not going to reuse the bearing so no need to be gentle just protect the shaft & the thread.

They are only difficult when some dipshit has drowned everything in loctite.