Export thread

Speed Feed Head On a Stihl

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

So I was looking around the other day an ended up buying a speed feed trimmer head it was suppose to fit my stihl but did not the bold in the head was not threated right so if you buy one look on your stihl trimmer head an the is a silver bolt on the top pop that out with a screwdriver put it on the speed feed head an you are read to go after u put your plastic spacer that comes with it:thumbsup:

But anyway has anyone else got a speed feed head on a trimmer other then echo or shindawa :rolleyes:

exotion

exotion

I have a speed feed head on my echo and I really don't like it I'm waiting for it to die.. there is no way to check how much line is left in it and its really sensitive doesn't take much for it to spit out line. I've always been happy with the bump feed heads you take off the trimmer and re string.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I like the speed feed head on mine so far quick to reload an like you said it is a little more sensitive then others :eek:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I have a speed feed head on my echo and I really don't like it I'm waiting for it to die.. there is no way to check how much line is left in it and its really sensitive doesn't take much for it to spit out line. I've always been happy with the bump feed heads you take off the trimmer and re string.

I like the speed feed head on mine so far quick to reload an like you said it is a little more sensitive then others :eek:

I like mine! :thumbsup:

header_speedfeed.jpg

(http://www.speedfeedhead.com/_images/header_speedfeed.jpg)

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I agree I put about 8 hours on it trimming a hillside an reloads where fast an quick I love it hope the one on the srm 225 I am going to buy in a couple weeks works just as good :thumbsup::wink:

djdicetn

djdicetn

I have a Troy-Bilt 4-cycle gas trimmer I bought a few years ago and it has the same "Speed Spool" as the Ryobi 2-cycle I owned previously. That's probably because Ryobi built the Troy-Bilt trimmers then:0) It also has the same "Expand-It" detachable trimmer head and will accomodate all of my old Ryobi "Expand-It" attachments I already had bought(blower....so, so performance and vacuum attachment...a waste of money). The Speed Spool works very well and I like being able to easily refill it when it runs out. But like pointed out earlier....it's difficult to know when that's gonna happen because of it's design where you can't tell how much line is still on it. But I still had the Ryobi spool, so with a "spare" it's not too bad to just swap the full one out when needed and refill the empty one later when it's not being used. They(Ryobi) have "changed" the "Speed Spool" design on their latest gas trimmers and they no longer look/work like the ones I have so I don't know if the newer design is any good or not.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

But like pointed out earlier....it's difficult to know when that's gonna happen because of it's design where you can't tell how much line is still on it.

I don't care how much string is left in my speed feed head because I always carry 2-3 extra ~10 ft. long pieces of string on the trimmer (Only 1 in the picture). :thumbsup:

trimmer line.PNG

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I don't care how much string is left in my speed feed head because I always carry 2-3 extra ~10 ft. long pieces of string on the trimmer (Only 1 in the picture). :thumbsup:

View attachment 15952

That a good idea I will be doing this as well :thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

I have the new ryobi speed head I like it.

Try this little trick take the spring out and put a washer under it. It will make it so the line don't keep coming out every time the head hits the ground

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

exotion

I have the new ryobi speed head I like it.

Try this little trick take the spring out and put a washer under it. It will make it so the line don't keep coming out every time the head hits the ground

Does it make it much harder to get the string out?

Carscw

Carscw

Does it make it much harder to get the string out?

It makes it so you have to hit the head on the ground to get the string to come out.

I take the guard off mine so there is nothing to cut the line. The head is so sensitive every time it comes close to the ground line comes out.
Put the washer in and you have to bump it on the ground

exotion

exotion

It makes it so you have to hit the head on the ground to get the string to come out.

I take the guard off mine so there is nothing to cut the line. The head is so sensitive every time it comes close to the ground line comes out.
Put the washer in and you have to bump it on the ground

Ill definately try it out I keep the guard on but the line pointlessly comes out a lot.

Mike88se

Mike88se

I hope to like mine when it gets here. I finally got disgusted with the original head. I can't tell when it's low on line and don't see much advantage in that anyway... and it always seems to run out of line at the worst possible time. Winding new line on it is not that big a deal but getting the spool on and feeding the new line through the holes when you're in a hurry just got to be too much of a pain. I'm glad I read the tip about using a washer.

Ric

Ric

I just keep replacement line spools. I spool line at night after I'm done working and keep two full spools in the tool box and when I run out of trimmer line I just replace the whole spool, it only take a few seconds. It's faster than re-spooling line in the field and wasting time with there speed feed heads that don't work but half the time and it's cheaper.

Carscw

Carscw

I just keep replacement line spools. I spool line at night after I'm done working and keep two full spools in the tool box and when I run out of trimmer line I just replace the whole spool, it only take a few seconds. It's faster than re-spooling line in the field and wasting time with there speed feed heads that don't work but half the time and it's cheaper.

I agree. I just change the spool.

exotion

exotion

I carry extra string in my pocket the speed feed is not tbe fastest but it works great for me. It is annoying to re feed in the middle of a yard but at least I don't need to walk all the way back to the truck. And it always runs out when you are the furthest from your truck.

Ric

Ric

I carry extra string in my pocket the speed feed is not tbe fastest but it works great for me. It is annoying to re feed in the middle of a yard but at least I don't need to walk all the way back to the truck. And it always runs out when you are the furthest from your truck.

Walking all the way back to the truck, you make it sound like your walking miles to get back to the trailer. I had one of those speed feed heads on my Echo and I run them on both of the Stihls and there more of a pita than anything else. Even going back to the truck is still faster than using a speed feed head. The thing is going back to the truck is something you do routinely any way and if that is an extra step you don't care to take you could always figure someway to take the spool with you.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Walking all the way back to the truck, you make it sound like your walking miles to get back to the trailer. I had one of those speed feed heads on my Echo and I run them on both of the Stihls and there more of a pita than anything else. Even going back to the truck is still faster than using a speed feed head. The thing is going back to the truck is something you do routinely any way and if that is an extra step you don't care to take you could always figure someway to take the spool with you.

For me the fastest option IS the Speed Feed head. And, I carry pre-cut (around 8 ft. long) loops of trimmer line attached to my trimmer so whenever I run out I have lots with me. :thumbsup:

L

lealowe

A friend is looking to buy one for his Sthil.I have one for my Shindawa and love it.

S

Subdivisionbigdog

I just bought my stihl fs94r a month ago or so. The first thing I did was install the 400 speed head. So far I really like it.

I love the Speed-Feed head on my Shindaiwa. If anyone is having issue with too sensitive of head that bumps out line too easily. Instead of the washer previously mentioned. I just popped off the end cap on mine & gave the spring a little (very little) spring stretch. Flawless ever since.

Don't know how much line is left ? press the 2 side clips on the end cap & pull it out a bit, you see the line perfectly, no tools needed & can be done in seconds.

And I fill my spool with the recommended 20 foot of .095 line. Which re-load can be done in less than 60 seconds.

My neighbor wants a Speed Feed for his Stihl. His head is always acting up.