Export thread

Snow blowing and Yellow pages

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I was blowing along and then the blower stalled. I check and see that a Yellow page book was stuck in the auger assembly.
These people that distribute the Yellow pages just throw the book on the entrance and leave. They don't think that it just might snow here in Nothern Canada. Anyways I think it took me about 30 minutes in the cold of picking at it with a screw driver, hammer and vise grip.

P

panabiker

You are lucky that it didn't break the lynch pin. I had a piece of tree limb caught and broke the pin. Had to wait for a day to buy a replacement pin.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Where is that lynch pin? Are you talking about the ones that hold the augers or something else. That book was stuck in between the impeller and the chute. I tried to blow it out twice (very short time to try and wiggle the thing out), but it wasn't working.

P

panabiker

Sorry, I should have said "Shear Pin". This is one of two pins that engage the auger to the axial. In the even of auger overloading, they break first before something else breaks.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Ohh ok. Yea I have broke a few shear pins in the past that holds my 4 augers. The blower still worked. It came with spare ones also.

exotion

exotion

I run over newspapers a lot they just chuck them anywhere they land gets buried in snow most people don't care but I have ran to the grocery store and bought a couple for a particular type of customer

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I run over newspapers a lot they just chuck them anywhere they land gets buried in snow most people don't care but I have ran to the grocery store and bought a couple for a particular type of customer

I run over newspapers all the time. I ran over 3 in one day last year, because they delivered them right as it started to snow, and it was the very early AM. I am never lucky enough for them to get thrown across the lawn. They always get stuck in the hardest to get out places. I make sure to carry tools in my toolbox to get it out. I haven't ever broken a shear pin, though.

exotion

exotion

Mine doesn't hesitate with newspapers adds mulch to their lawn

X-man

X-man

That's a problem we have in my trailer park is newspapers being buried in the driveway, only to have it clog up the snow blower later on.

I haven't broken a shear pin yet either.

P

possum

Big rolled up newspapers, phone books, bricks, extension cords, cable TV line, phone lines, that wire fence, tree roots, large driveways rock really tears things up here. Buying a used two stage blower around here as a rule is a junker from hitting things and an attempt to fix them.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Big rolled up newspapers, phone books, bricks, extension cords, cable TV line, phone lines, that wire fence, tree roots, large driveways rock really tears things up here. Buying a used two stage blower around here as a rule is a junker from hitting things and an attempt to fix them.

That is bad!!!

detdrbuzzard

detdrbuzzard

when blowing snow I do five to seven of my neighbors, most are retired so I have them check their driveways and other areas where the snowblower will be used for debris. I blow snow at my mom's and a few of her neighbors, they check for debris also so when I get there its a non-issue or it has been a non-issue for the last 16years

exotion

exotion

Ya... Bricks and rocks>:[

detdrbuzzard

detdrbuzzard

I just spoke with one of my neighbors about checking her driveway for debris. I've been blowing snow from her walkway and the entrance / exit of her driveway for some time now but she is getting older so I want to go up the driveway to the house and I will if she keeps the rocks, bricks, and yellow pages off the ground

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I just don't understand the brick thing. Why would one leave bricks in the entrance?

exotion

exotion

I just don't understand the brick thing. Why would one leave bricks in the entrance?

No idea.....

X-man

X-man

I don't think I've had an encounter with bricks...

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

We are going to get snow tomorrow.....will be up first thing tomorrow working. Probably right after the newspapers come out. :eek:

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Better be carefull!

X-man

X-man

We are going to get snow tomorrow.....will be up first thing tomorrow working. Probably right after the newspapers come out. :eek:

Hey, like exotion said, adds mulch to their lawn. :laughing:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Better be carefull!

Hey, like exotion said, adds mulch to their lawn. :laughing:

Just got done working....didn't hit ANYTHING! :thumbsup: The snow ended earlier than expected and the newspapers got delivered later, so they were just sitting on top of the snow. We got maybe 4" of snow....I think it was a lot more but then it rained and pushed it down. It was a VERY heavy snow. Look for a thread later today with some pictures of driveways I cleared.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Here are some pictures of driveways I cleared this morning: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/lawn-mower-fanatic-albums-winter-snow-removal.html
They are the latest 4 pictures in the album.
I'll put one of the pictures below:

attachment.php

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That looks like very sticky snow! I love the powder stuff (excepts when it is windy).

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

That looks like very sticky snow! I love the powder stuff (excepts when it is windy).

Yes it was a very wet snow. I had to slow down with my snowblower because it was having a bit of a hard time. Clearing the snow at the end of the driveway was really hard because it was a little warm so the snow started to melt and run down the gutters at the side of the road, so when you scooped up snow you got like 50% snow, 50% water. We are getting snow in less than 12 hours that will last all day Monday. We are expected to get maybe 4-8", but it is supposed to be a fluffy snow. I will make sure to get pictures of the snowblower IN ACTION tomorrow morning when I use it to show you all.