Export thread

Snapper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Snapper mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Snapper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Snapper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Snapper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

K

KennyV

Back in the early 60's my neighbors had a snapper self propelled 'commercial grade mower, that thing was a monster and it would cut anything. I don't recall what model it was but it had a large Briggs & Stratton and a stand on sulky cart it towed.

The MOST unique thing I remember about this particular Snapper mower was the design of the cutting blade... The tips were removable and they were easy to replace common sickle sections...
ANYONE remember what this mower was ??? OR even better, have any pictures of it.. ? :smile:KennyV

J

JayC

I'm Jay, and I have a mid-80's vintage Snapper LT16. I use the rider to mow grass in the summer, and remove snow in the winter. I ski every weekend out of my camp property, and the 'lil tractor took care of the camp's snow removal on the 800' gravel driveway this past winter , and did a remarkable job, at least until I blew the belts in the blower while clearing the last snowfall of the season. I've since upgraded to a 6' blower for my L4200 for that particular driveway, so my Snapper is doing duty clearing the 100' paved drive at my house this season. I made an enclosure/cab to keep the snow off of me out of electrical conduit and sheet vinyl (from a fabric store) - total cost for the "cab" was $29. Attached are a couple pics of my machine:

JayC

Attachments

M

mullins87

Hi, new to the forum, but not to mowing. I found out about this site after joining the sister site tractorbynet.com. I have what I believe is a Series One HT1848, I can only guess early 90's. By far the toughest mower I have ever owned. It has the 18 HP Kohler and 48" deck. I have regularly used it to mow waist high weeds with no problems. I have Carlisle bar lug tires and a sleeve hitch on it. Right now I have a grader blade on it, but I also have a landscape rake for it. My wife refers to it as "The Beast", but I just call it my mini-tractor. Last year I retired it from yard mowing, so now it mainly sees garden/driveway duty. It's got a little over 1,000 hours on it and it's still going strong.

BTW: I also have a late 70's early 80's LT-16 with the 48" deck. A buddy of mine gave it to me about 10 years ago because it was giving him trouble. After ten minutes adjusting the carb and fixing some wiring, I used it without any problems for about 6 years. Currently it's in a non-running condition, but I'm keeping it around for parts.

rer

rer

Hello everyone. First I would like to say that my snapper has passed all of the tests that I could put it through from 65 degree hills, rock climbing, mudding, wheelies, burnouts, fthe occaisonal flip , pushing dirt, towing a pop top camper, to 1/2 mile drive to check the mail. Oh and dont forget the 500 or so acres it has mowed. :thumbsup: for snapper rer 9hp. It has done more than my 12.5 murray ever could.

twall

twall

Hello everyone. First I would like to say that my snapper has passed all of the tests that I could put it through from 65 degree hills, rock climbing, mudding, wheelies, burnouts, fthe occaisonal flip , pushing dirt, towing a pop top camper, to 1/2 mile drive to check the mail. Oh and dont forget the 500 or so acres it has mowed. :thumbsup: for snapper rer 9hp. It has done more than my 12.5 murray ever could.

Welcome to LMF!

I happen to be a affecinado of RER's myself! Often actually thought about buying a brand-new hi vac Snapper! Own a 87 walk behind that I restored, and had a 41" cut tractor! That disk drive is the BOMB!!!!

Attachments

rer

rer

Thank you for reminding me. I am still on my first drive disc but second motor:frown:. I am very glad the wheel has lasted. Because last time I looked they were 40 plus. It has lasted 9 years and still going. That is the same model i pulled a motor off of but I didnt ruin a mower it had a worn out gear in the housing.

F

fbranson

Hi my name is Frank, I have a Snapper RER Model # 30085S. It was the mower I used to mow my parents yard when I was younger and was passed down to me by my dad when he got a new Snapper RER. I recently re-did all the decals and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Here are some before and after pics.
mowerrestore.jpg

N

NJsnapper

great job Frank. Looks great.

N

NJsnapper

scored a MINT RER from craigslist

I found a mint 08 RER with a briggs 12.5 electric start with a 28"hi vac with ninja blade delivered for $500! It was used very little and is truly like new.
It runs perfect and our Son had it out last night cutting and it runs great!

DSC09746.jpg

DSC09745.jpg

F

fbranson

Re: scored a MINT RER from craigslist

I found a mint 08 RER with a briggs 12.5 electric start with a 28"hi vac with ninja blade delivered for $500! It was used very little and is truly like new.

DSC09746.jpg

DSC09745.jpg

Wow, that's pretty nice!

N

NJsnapper

thanks.. She runs like new too:)

twall

twall

Hi my name is Frank, I have a Snapper RER Model # 30085S. It was the mower I used to mow my parents yard when I was younger and was passed down to me by my dad when he got a new Snapper RER. I recently re-did all the decals and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Here are some before and after pics.

Really great job, Frank! I love to see RER's restored. For too long, they were looked at as "cheap junk", and treated as such when their useful life came to a close........:frown:

twall

twall

WOW!!! You stole that thing! :shocked: That's a $1400 mower!!!

N

NJsnapper

WOW!!! You stole that thing! :shocked: That's a $1400 mower!!!

I know!!!! No way I could pass it up!!:thumbsup:

twall

twall

I know!!!! No way I could pass it up!!:thumbsup:

Usually, my 'deals' also come with the following:

"....and here's the box with the tranny pieces.....I think it's all there......."

:laughing:

N

NJsnapper

more pics I just took of her just now.. :biggrin: can ya tell Im a proud owner?

twall

twall

more pics I just took of her just now.. :biggrin: can ya tell Im a proud owner?

I hate you. :biggrin:

Naw, just wish I could score something like that!!!!!

N

NJsnapper

heh heh.. I usually don't end up on the good end of the stick when it comes to deals like this.. :confused2:

twall

twall

heh heh.. I usually don't end up on the good end of the stick when it comes to deals like this.. :confused2:

I was just thinking....That mower is almost four years old! It must have next to NOTHING for hours!

*Shaking head* I can't get over that.....you should buy a lottery ticket, too!

Not a ding.....not a heat mark on the engine.......bet the tires even have the little nipples on them! It's factory-fresh! Even if you'd really REALLY cleaned it up, it wouldn't look so......so......NEW. You may not have restored it, but you had the good sense to jump on a good deal....so congrats on your good sense! :biggrin:

You truly scored the deal of the decade, man. Next you'll tell us about the Humvee you got for $700.......LOL :laughing:

N

NJsnapper

LOL Thanks man... Actually he bought it before the 08 cutting season so its only 3 cutting seasons old actually. He said he barely used it and had a very small yard.. I'm guessing by close inspection that it has no more then 35 hours on it..

twall

twall

LOL Thanks man... Actually he bought it before the 08 cutting season so its only 3 cutting seasons old actually. He said he barely used it and had a very small yard.. I'm guessing by close inspection that it has no more then 35 hours on it..

That'd be my guess, by the pics.....maybe 25.

Just curious, why'd he want rid of it so bad? Did he say? He could have gotten twice what he wanted. (I hope you know)

N

NJsnapper

That'd be my guess, by the pics.....maybe 25.

Just curious, why'd he want rid of it so bad? Did he say? He could have gotten twice what he wanted. (I hope you know)

The yard was so small that he ended up cutting it with a push mower most of the time and the snapper just sat in the garage and he wanted to get rid of it .. He wanted $700 + delivery but I talked him down to $500 and he deliver it to me 100 miles away and he took it..:) I was as shocked as you can imagine when he said yes. My guess is that he had it on craigslist for a while and got a lot of tire kickers and such and was happy I had cash and did not go on with endless emails and phone calls?

twall

twall

Bought from my local JD dealer

- SR1433 not sure the year yet (it was raining)
- $220 included tax and delivery (was $500 last summer before tax and without delivery....that's $20)
- 14.5 hp OHV B&S
- 33" cut 3-way hi vac deck w/nose roller, two rear gauge wheels
- variable disk drive
- as is, where is - no 'service after the sale' :smile:

Attachments

F

fbranson

Bought from my local JD dealer

- SR1433 not sure the year yet (it was raining)
- $220 included tax and delivery (was $500 last summer before tax and without delivery....that's $20)
- 14.5 hp OHV B&S
- 33" cut 3-way hi vac deck w/nose roller, two rear gauge wheels
- variable disk drive
- as is, where is - no 'service after the sale' :smile:
Nice! That's just like the one my dad has, I just love that they keep the look no matter the year.

twall

twall

Nice! That's just like the one my dad has, I just love that they keep the look no matter the year.

The new one he bought when he gave you the neat oldie you have?

As far as styling, these models have stayed almost exactly the same since 1995!

M

Milty

I just purchased a P216012, walk behind. It is a 6HP with 6 speeds. It doesn't have the bag but I really didn't want that bag any way. It appears to be a strong good cutting mower. I chose a used mower with quality over a new one (I could afford) and hope I made the right decision! I didn't think I could go wrong for $120 bucks!

twall

twall

I just purchased a P216012, walk behind. It is a 6HP with 6 speeds. It doesn't have the bag but I really didn't want that bag any way. It appears to be a strong good cutting mower. I chose a used mower with quality over a new one (I could afford) and hope I made the right decision! I didn't think I could go wrong for $120 bucks!

That is a heluva mower. I have one with the same design, only from 1985. Still cuts great! See post #6 in this thread for a pic.

BTW, NJsnapper - if this thing (my new RER) will run without much fussing around, I might have got one up on you in the 'deal' department.....:laughing: Then again, you got a brand - new $1400 Snapper for 5 bills........maybe not....:biggrin:

Woodbutcher

Woodbutcher

I am new to LMF but member twall tells me he has a twin SR 1433. Mine is inherited from my dad and is pretty banged up. During the last 2 mowing seasons he had it in for repairs at least twice a season. I've already had it in twice in 2011. Just got the clutch cable fixed ($36) and hopefully I can get and keep my jungle under control. Wish me luck! PEACE.

Attachments

Woodbutcher

Woodbutcher

To my surprise "The Beast" started with the key yesterday. Just then my brother showed up so I shut it off. Can you say BIG MISTAKE!? Wouldn't crank again after that. Killed the battery - and my shoulder - trying. Today, I plan to put it on the battery charger and try again.

J

Joe Dirt

Got an old snapper rider with a 12hp B&S. Don't know the model# as the plate with that info is so worn it's white. Got a couple of issues but hopefully nothing big. Any way I can tell what model I have?

V

vseiferd

I am new to mowers/small engines and all the adventures that come with them. After +90 degree days of push mowing my 3/4 acre my wife made me buy a riding mower. I purchased a pre-owned Snapper 30" rear engine rider from a local mower shop in 2009 and it has been great!

L

Larry Upnorth

Hi Everyone. My name is Larry and I'm new to the forum as of today. I purchased my first Snapper mower last fall. It is a 150Z zero turn, 50" cut. It is a 2008 model, but was brand new when I purchased it in Oct 2010. Did not get to use it very much last fall because Winter starts early here (Northern Wisconsin). As of today, I have 25 hours on the mower.

New guy with a couple mowers, i live in town takes me <30 minutes to push mow. Bought a basic snapper push mower (s2265) earlier this year. Had nightmares with a poulan self propelled mower I had previously (went through 3 pull cords before i got the grommet replaced, lost the charger/key while stored, bad coil right now) started over with what I think is a better mower.

stock pic for now

snappers2265.jpg

also found a free 9hp snapper rer at some rental property i was cleaning up last week, pretty ragged out and sounds like a grenade waiting to happen but the price was right and im enjoying abusing it :laughing:

stock pic for now, will update with an actual pic so you can get a laugh in as well

snapper280922b.jpg

flyerdan

flyerdan

Free is good, fortunately where I am mowers turn up on freecycle or craigslist a lot. Picked up this Snapper about three years ago, I use it for the main mowing.
Snapper.jpg

Most of the freebies have some problems, having a shop full of tools and equipment to fix things with helps. Only major problem with this one it that it has a habit of creeping back to the lowest speed setting because the handle speed lever is broken or worn, not a big deal as I don't need to walk that fast anyway.

Had to thin the herd this past summer, they have a tendency to accumulate.
mowers.jpg

mikeypizano

mikeypizano

Here is my 25065S when I picked it up and pushed it home! It runs great now after a lot of work, and still needs some more work. Plus I need to get a recent picture of it this summer.

IMG_0412.jpg

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

so i have three old snaper self-propelled mowers now. two 21351PD (pictured, the one on right obviously does not have original engine) both 1984 and a 1986 21401P (not pictured). does anyone know what year snapper went from the narrow handlebars like the mower on the left to the wide bars like the one on the right??? i think it was 1988 or 1989 but not sure. incidently, the handlebars on the one on right are n ot original either...swapped them out when i got it.

Attachments

S

snapsstorer

i purchased 2 snappers last year. both of them are pretty old models the first i bought was a ZT4400, and had to completly rewire it. it had between 600 to 700 hrs on it. the price $300. the 2nd one was in fall, it was, by the hood decal, a 2000 GX Hydro. the data plate says GT180HXXXXX. i purchased it with the mower deck and a 44HTST snowblower. I thought it was a steal at the price of $400 considering he had about $200 worth of parts for the snowblower, that he forgot how to put back together.:thumbsup::smile::thumbsup:

M

moedaman

Howdy Folks!!!!

I finally got a snapper!!! I bought a 1985 RER with a grass catcher and thateraizer with a 6hp tecumpsh
I think it is a 25066 model.. I will post a pic as soon i figure that part out..well looking forward to geting to
snapper fans,, How ever the first question i have is did that year model come with a canopy/sun screen.. if so where can i find it....:cool:

N

NJsnapper

congrats!!:thumbsup:

P

psherid1

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Hello! I have an old Electric Start Walk Behind Snapper that I bought used back in 1993. I want to fix it up and would like the manual. Anyone know how I can get my hands on one? Thanks!:smile:

snappin

snappin

Hey everyone.I used Snapper(walk behind) mowers for several seasons when I worked summers for a lawn service.A decade or so later,tired of buying new cheap mowers every couple years I seen this beside the road for sale.I figured if they could last for years at 40-60 hours per week(9 months per year), that one would last me for ever for my little 3/4 acre. I tested everything and let it run for a few minutes and got him down to 150.
I was wanting to find a push(no self propel)with the Hi-Vac bag,but when I seen how everything on this one still worked and the over all condition of this one,I bought it.
http://
I hated the "sac-n-pac thing so I bought this chute and bag from E-bay.I would rather have found the "slide" bag instead of the "door bag",but I got a good deal.
http://.
Only thing is ,so far it'll only run about 5-8 minutes then it dies.I hope I can find a motor that'll work with the self propel.
Anyone know about what year this is?

D

dogon1013

just joined because a friend was getting rid of a RER mower, 1984 vintage, with a tecumsah motor that did not work. I gave him $20 for it. Everything else looks good, though it was missing a few small parts.

After digging into the motor, I noticed that the intake valve would not return. Digging a little further i found the broken valve spring retainer. I ordered a replacement, but no telling how ling till that comes, so I jumped on the mini lathe and mill and just finished machining a replacement, which I will heat-treat at work tomorrow......hopefully this thing will be up and running tomorrow. (fingers crossed). I also cleaned out the carb which was full of oil.

BTW
The ultimate goal for this mower is to convert it into a zero-turn, then radio control it...but first i have to try it out in it's original condition.

Attachments

B

BobbyR

Hello guys, just wanted to say that I have a Snapper rear engine rider SR140. I'm the second owner. It's a 1991 model and is still going strong. I have no complaints with anything except the small front tires sometimes make it hard to make sharp turns as they tend to slide. Also if the air is a little low in them, they have broken loose from the rim during a sharp turn. Other than that, I love it!

McClain3

I am a brand new 150Z 33" owner. Looking forward for operating and maintenance tips and tricks.

J

jwood

Just found this forum. Looks great. New to snapper mowers. I bought/traded and have a rear engine riding mower. Was running last season. Can not seem to get it running now. Replaced spark plug, swithced out coil, still no spark. Very general knowledge of small engines, I can change parts, but that does not make me a mechanic. Not sure where to start in identifying the problem. I like the mower and think I can fix it up foa a lot less than buying a new one if I can do it myself. Lot of homework to do reading the forum. glad you all are hear. Thank you.
JWood

K

KennyV

Just found this forum. Looks great. New to snapper mowers. I bought/traded and have a rear engine riding mower. Was running last season. Can not seem to get it running now. Replaced spark plug, swithced out coil, still no spark. Very general knowledge of small engines, I can change parts, but that does not make me a mechanic. Not sure where to start in identifying the problem. I like the mower and think I can fix it up foa a lot less than buying a new one if I can do it myself. Lot of homework to do reading the forum. glad you all are hear. Thank you.
JWood

Hi JWood & WELCOME to LMF...
So your question is not Lost in this Long snapper check in post...
I suggest you start a New thread in this 'Snapper Forum' With something about Not starting in the title line...

Give as much information about the mower & engine as you can... With Your particular problem I would start with disconnecting the kill wire at the magneto... But do repost this so your problem is not lost... :smile:KennyV

txzrider

txzrider

So I am new to the forum, I have a 15 year old Snapper Zrider with a 33 inch deck. I repowered it several years ago, upgrading it to a 19hp from the 13hp it had. I am now actively looking to replace it since the it has an issue this season where the storms that came through apparently managed to force water into the intake and into the cyl. (we recently had tornado's in tx) I may can fix it or even repower it again. Certainly spending $500 on it would be a bargain vs the $3k cost of what I have been looking at. However since the repower it has been plagued by issues I believe caused by the 15 y/o wiring. I also own a snapper walk behind 21" with a 6hp engine that other than needing a new carb recently runs as well today as the day I bought it.

S

skyblue50

Hi, I just joined this forum as I have just had some problems with a newer (2007) 30" Snapper. I have used a 20" push mower and I still have a 30" Comet from the mid 60's that is on it's 3rd engine. I like their simplicity in use and basic mechanicals. I am not a big fan of the electronics that complicate their operation, such as my current problem with the 2007 I have.
Thanks for being available for discussions. Hope I can help along the way.

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

I am a brand new member. Is it possible for a girl to be a lawn mower addict? I have always been a little bit of a "motor head" (classic American cars of the 60's and 70's) but I didn't realize this could extend to Snapper lawn mowers. Can't fix 'em but love 'em and I love to mow.

My first Snapper was a 70's model t-bar. That was the greatest little mower and I gave it a really tough life. It was my very first riding mower. :thumbsup:

My next Snapper was an 80's model walk-behind - B&S engine, cast aluminum deck, chain drive. It got injuried during a move 3 years ago and still is in the garage, waiting to find someone who can fix it. It needs the cables replaced - the cable that connects the bale to the throttle, the cable that engages the chain drive and the speed control cable.

I do need to go find the exact model number on it but now that I am here, I hope to be able to find the parts I need and possibly even an owner's manual online to give to my mower repair guy.

I just became the proud owner of a Snapper SR 1433, Model 331416KVE. After beating myself up and hating the stupid Craftsman pos I had been using for the last 2 seasons, I lucked out and traded up. My mower repair guy knew I was looking for a Snapper so I happily gave him the Craftsman and $100 and got this beauty. Now I am looking for a front tire for it.

Looking forward to the discussions here.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Welcome SnapperLady, good to have u on board! I'm partial to the 80s walk-behinds myself. Any part u need is available online, I always use Lawn Mower Parts. Do u have any pics of your mowers?

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- my welcome!

Thanks for the nice welcome!

In fact, I have pics of my SR1433 - just created an album and trying to figure out how to post them. Aha - think I did it.

Need to go to friend's garage where my walk-behind is being stored and get pics and the model number.

I *think* you're the guy whose posts I read as a visitor and said to myself, "Myself, you need to join this forum!!" You posted a link to the parts site, as well as info. on getting the owner's manuals and parts list off the Snapper site. Invaluable info. for me. I want to thank you!

Other reading I found interesting - how repair people often don't want to truly find solutions. Hem and haw and let a mower sit around, make excuses to me. Probably because I'm a girl, right?

In looking for a front tire, I found a GREAT site, a place located right here in Virginia that has all kinds of good stuff. Can't find a mower tire for a reasonable price? These guys sell actual TIRES (not the whol wheel assembly). But still checking around, too. My buddy might have one at his shop.

Attachments

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Hey that looks great. I like those RERs. Ya I'm a fan of the old stuff and of taking care of it. Im sure that old walk-behind of you're can be repaired no problem, looking foreward to pics of it!:thumbsup:

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

OK back at the terminal. Can't do much from my phone. By the way, always nice to have another Snapper enthusiast on here. Would like to take a look at your walk-behind with the broken parts when u get a chance to upload them. So here are some pics of my line up for ya. The 2cycle Wisconsin-Robin is not outside with the rest because I just got it a couple days ago, the 4cycle WR is the only one with the wide handlebars. The 4hp Briggs (non I/C) I got for free a few months ago from the original owner. Always garaged, no rust, hadn't been started in 5 years and fired right up when I got it home. Go figure.
I painted the WR 4cycle and the Briggs 4hp I/C but decided to keep the WR 2cycle all original, no paint. It's my favorite to use, love how it sounds. I guess technically I have 5 of these but the fifth I don't really claim because it's the one I put together for my brother-in-law. His Craftsman was a pos and once I got the WR 4cycle engine I took the 1995 5hp Briggs I/C engine off the deck and swapped it for the WR, then got a good sp deck from the junk pile at my friend who owns a mower shop here and put that engine on it for him.
I've also been collecting old vintage Snapper ads from the late 70s to late 80s off of ebay. Usually only a few bucks apiece, got them all in a binder. Sounds nerdy I know, but I grew up always wanting one and I guess that kinda morphed into this hobby as an adult. Always have enjoyed mowing the lawn, and a good piece of equipment makes it all the better!

Attachments

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- my welcome!

Okay - I got the Model no. and pictures of my walk-behind tody!

Model No. is 21401P (ser # 74222223).

Larger pictures can be seen in My Albums.

It needs cables - bale to throttle, springs and such to engage the chain drive, a few other minor things. It was running great and mowing great until it got thrown into the back of a pick up truck when I wasn't looking and didn't have good moving help. It's been sitting in a friend's garage for a couple years now. But it's been moved outside and I worry about it every day!!

I really want to get this mower fixed and my usual local mower guy doesn't seem to want to mess with it. Anyone on this forum live in Virginia?

Attachments

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

hey I have the exact same mower! well I'm about 2500 miles from Virginia but I can give u some pointers right now. that can totally be brought back to life. first, looks like the self-propel cable needs to be re-attached to the spring that connects it to the drive system. no big deal. maybe a new spring, couple bucks. i would take that engine-brake handle off completely (like 3 out the four of mine). it attaches to a spring at the engine that, when depressed, allows engine to be started. u can take that spring off and use a zip tie to keep that in the 'on' position so u can walk away from the mower and leave it running and just stop it with the throttle. bolts on handlebars could probably use tightening.
as for the axle that looks to be missing its cap where the grease goes, i would probably use compressor to blow out any debris inside and refill with some good '00' axle grease. cover with duct tape or something til u can get another cap.
the outside of engine can easily be cleaned up by spraying some simple green on it, scrubbing what parts u can get to and then hosing off (just try not to spray water into the recoil shroud). empty any gas, change plug and filter and try starting. my 21401P that i got from its original owner who bought it new in 1986 hadn't run in five years...was just sitting in his garage. it started up on 2nd pull and while it would usually sputter on anything less than full throttle, after adding some seafoam to the fuel (it's supposed to clean the fuel system from the inside out) i've noticed it running better. u can get that at any auto parts store.
can u get it back to your place? or at least indoors?? that would be fun to clean up if i had it. that's a good mower...git 'r done!:smile:

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

almost forgot, did i mention oil change??????? that's a must.

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I printed them out!!

Of course, an oil change, as well as all the other maintenance items for the engine. I have no doubt it will fire right up. My main concern is getting the linkage hooked up correctly and the other cables connected correctly.

I've found that most repair people can get a small engine running really well but either don't care or don't have the skills to get anything else fixed properly. My usual local mower guy seems totally disinterested.

I am definitely going to get the mower back over here - there's room in my shed for it now that I have my Snapper rider! It needs to be inside. I cannot tolerate people who have no respect for equipment.

There is one guy on this forum who is in Virginia - I'm hoping he'll respond and maybe can help me with the fixing up. Too bad you're on the other side of the country.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I couldn't agree more about the respect for equipment. When I see mowers sitting out in someone's yard all the time wasting away it drives me nuts. Snapper or otherwise. Ya I wish I could help with your mower but I'm glad u found someone local that hopefully can help. All the best of luck and I hope to hear how progress is going.

And I'm glad to hear you're getting it back over in your shed!!:smile:

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

I haven't found anyone to work on my mower....just noticed there is someone on this forum who is in VA. Haven't seen him post a reply. I sent him a PM.

By the way - on all your helpful advice - I can do a clean up but I am not able to actually work on my own mowers. I am not a mechanic by any mans - even something as simple as an oil change!

I am just a dedicated user and owner who cherishes her equipment and always needs to find someone to do the mechanical work, maintenance, etc. This is the first time I've found people who actually LIKE working on mowers. Seems most small engine repair people don't really care.

I'll let you know when the 21410P is safely home.

Did you see my post about the old Ariens??

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I understand. I hope u get a response from him. As for mower shops, I'm lucky to live near one that appreciates the old stuff as I do and they all know how attached I am to my equipment. The owner even let's me use whatever I need from his junk pile in the back. Most of it isn't really junk, just mowers people don't care about repairing. I got a good sp deck from there and put an engine of mine on it for my brother-in-law. He's already broke a belt and a spring. I fixed it of course for him. But seems most shops just want to sell the shiny new crap...I'll stick with the old stuff.
I did see the airens. That's quite a find. I would snatch that up, even if it's awhile before any work can be done to it, what a conversational piece!

There's also a guy not too far from me who's retired and works on mowers for fun. We totally see eye to eye, he's just much more mechanically inclined than I am. Got my first older snapper from him 3 years ago.

Ya get that airens home if u can...that's a keeper!

SnapperLady

SnapperLady

I'm getting my 21401P picked up and moved to another shop tomorrow or the next day!

I called my local Honda place - those guys are good people - they sponsor one of my dog club's fall sheepdog trials and lend us an EZ-Go Carryall to use. They know me well. They work on Hondas, Kubotas, Husqvarnas, and then some (everything - generators, motorcycles, ATV's, mowers, golf carts to full size tractors). I figured it didn't hurt to ask them if they'd work on my Snapper.

The owner said the main reason they don't usally take in Snappers is they have a hard time finding parts. Ha. I said no prob!! So he said I could bring it over for them to take a look. At least it will be INSIDE.

I think you're right about that old Ariens - I should at least go get it and put it under a tarp at my place. Maybe I'll find someone who's into those.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

That's great news! Hard to find parts??? Please. That's a load but whatever. I know several websites that have EVERYTHING. Anyway, important thing is the mower is going over there to someone who knows what they're doing and knows u and u can trust. Cool.

D

Dmscfla

Good morning. I purchased an early 1990's model. Love cutting with it. Have had to take it back to the shop as the belt keeps wanting to slip off the track. It needed new bushings. I will post pictures later. Thank you for this forum.

M

marksmoothjazz

OK..I'll jump in. Just found this baby on Craiglist for 50 bucks. Planning on a whole rebuild. I've got a brand new Briggs that will come off a piece of crap weedeater my brother had..about 5 hours on it. Think I'll have any trouble swapping it out? It's an 8.75 horse. found some brand new back wheels and tires online, so I'm gonna spring for a new seat, and front tires, take it completely down, and paint/powdercoat the entire rig...wish me luck haha. BTW, i am a young 54 year old,in the printing business, residing in south carolina..thanks and glad to be here!

Attachments

D

Dmscfla

How cool! I hope it works out. I saw the other one you restored great work. Mine runs great. I just need to restore it now. Btw. How do you post a picture? I want to post one of mine!

M

marksmoothjazz

go ahead and "reply" to this thread, and down in the form you fill out, look for "manage Attachments". then browse to the pic you want to upload, then be sure to hit the upload button, and when it's done, hit the "close this window button" then simply submit your response normally.

S

snapsstorer

Ipicked up a frame similair to the one that NJsnapper has pictured. i was going to part it out, BUT looking at them in their glory i am going to resurrect it. it look better than some of exspensive junk they have out now days. if you know what i mean(sheet metal frames andall). not saying they cant do the job, but i want want the vintage look.

O

otcogen

Howdy folks,

I suppose as usual, I charged ahead and posted a question without reading this intro page. I posted about my (dead) Snapper 1850 18 hp with 3-point & power-take-off (pto). I noticed a few slots down someone in this group although I cannot go there now while typing or at least I do know how, but there was a post of a LT-16 which looks a lot like my 1850. I would certainly like to know more about this similarity. I would love to get my old Snapper going but this earlier 1980's ride on may pose some issue of my figuring what on earth to do or start. Minor problem is my wife will kill me if I start another project with so many already in mid-stream, ha. Well, I guess I have come up from the dead before, ha.

So hi-ya folks any direction would be appreciated.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Snapper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Snapper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Snapper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

M

mullins87

Howdy folks,

I suppose as usual, I charged ahead and posted a question without reading this intro page. I posted about my (dead) Snapper 1850 18 hp with 3-point & power-take-off (pto). I noticed a few slots down someone in this group although I cannot go there now while typing or at least I do know how, but there was a post of a LT-16 which looks a lot like my 1850. I would certainly like to know more about this similarity. I would love to get my old Snapper going but this earlier 1980's ride on may pose some issue of my figuring what on earth to do or start. Minor problem is my wife will kill me if I start another project with so many already in mid-stream, ha. Well, I guess I have come up from the dead before, ha.

So hi-ya folks any direction would be appreciated.

I can relate to your situation with the wife and too many projects in mid-stream!!! I have an LT-16 and a "Hydro", which is nearly identical. I don't know how many similarities exist being the LT-16 and the 1850. A few years ago I read somewhere the 1650, 1655, 1850 and 1855's were built by Massey Ferguson, the tractor manufacturer. Could be that my memory has it confused with another garden tractor or what I read was incorrect. I'll try to help you out as much as possible, so post your issues.

T

Tommyboyxd

Tom here from Nashville. Just got my first Snapper last weekend and unfortunately she is already down. You can check out my plea for help here and I have attached a photo but she is a little stripped down. :)

Attachments

A

Amelia I

Considering getting an rer 9.5 hp 28 hi vac. It has a few issues, i.e. fuel in the oil, but if we can resolve the problems, it will be a keeper.

Patman68

Patman68

Hello just purchased this SR825 Model number 250813BE

Picked it up for $150 runs good has a few issues, I do not think it is the original motor 8hp Briggs and Stratton but this motor does not have electric start. While the mower has a starter solenoid and wiring for battery. Changed oil, fresh fuel and spark plug. Something is not quite right with the deck I have to leave it, in the highest "6" setting anything lower then that and the deck hits the ground even on level concrete. It will not go lower then 4 on the setting so I am guessing something to do with the rigging. Downloaded a manual for it so will look into that soon.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello just purchased this SR825 Model number 250813BE

Picked it up for $150 runs good has a few issues, I do not think it is the original motor 8hp Briggs and Stratton but this motor does not have electric start. While the mower has a starter solenoid and wiring for battery. Changed oil, fresh fuel and spark plug. Something is not quite right with the deck I have to leave it, in the highest "6" setting anything lower then that and the deck hits the ground even on level concrete. It will not go lower then 4 on the setting so I am guessing something to do with the rigging. Downloaded a manual for it so will look into that soon.

Nice Snapper! I like the trailer! :thumbsup:

Patman68

Patman68

Nice Snapper! I like the trailer! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I like it too, was watering some of my new trees and plants, had the bucket full of water with a smaller watering pail in the trailer. Got that for a steal of a deal also TSC had it on clearance for $79. One thing puzzles me about the Snapper mower though I have seen one on another picture as well but no mention of it in the manual. What is the small aluminum bracket on the front of the mower in the center there for??

Pat.

C

cashman

Looks like it probably had a thatcherizer on it at one point? It was a thing with springs that de-thatched the grass as you mowed and the bracket allowed you to disengage it from the grass.

Patman68

Patman68

Looks like it probably had a thatcherizer on it at one point? It was a thing with springs that de-thatched the grass as you mowed and the bracket allowed you to disengage it from the grass.

Ah I will take your word for it lol, like I said it was on there when we bought it from the previous owner and did not think to ask when we picked it up. I use the snapper mainly for trim work around and "under" trees in the yard for which it is great!

C

cashman

The thatcherizer was great if you had a lot of pine straw and used a bagger. Snapper had some good stuff back in the day!

Patman68

Patman68

The thatcherizer was great if you had a lot of pine straw and used a bagger. Snapper had some good stuff back in the day!

WOW okay I looked one of those up, that huge thing once hooked up to the front of my mower????

T

Tommyboyxd

WOW okay I looked one of those up, that huge thing once hooked up to the front of my mower????

The one that mounted to the front of the snapper was no wider than the front of the mower, but a really cool tool.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The one that mounted to the front of the snapper was no wider than the front of the mower, but a really cool tool.

Here is a pic of it. :thumbsup:

snapper rer.jpg
(http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3363/snapper002.jpg)

T

Tommyboyxd

Nice!

Is that your ride? 5 or 6 series?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Nice!

Is that your ride? 5 or 6 series?

Not mine! Just found that picture.

T

Tommyboyxd

Not mine! Just found that picture.

Oh.... :redface::redface:

You should look that guy up and see if he would sell it to you! :) LOL

Patman68

Patman68

Awesome I saw a couple of them for sale on Ebay, just not sure I would have a use for it thanks for the pics though.

U

Uncle Vinnie

Hey guys,

New to this forum, just inherited a 1973 Snapper Comet from my Father inlaw, his father give it to him, and now he is passing it to me.

IMG_4338-6.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hey guys,

New to this forum, just inherited a 1973 Snapper Comet from my Father inlaw, his father give it to him, and now he is passing it to me.

View attachment 17446

Nice machine! :thumbsup:

T

Tommyboyxd

Hey guys,

View attachment 17446

Cool mower, welcome to the club. :)

Also nice grass, what is it? Fine fescue?

O

ostrick

Hello All,
I have been looking for a snow blower to use on a large area around the house and a 350 foot driveway. Anyway I came across this and of course am looking for any info I can find. I believe they were only made for two years in the 80's. Except for the seat the machine in very solid. I have a very small lawn so my contribution to mowing would be very limited but would like to restore this machine and share my experience.

Attachments

A

Alanky

Hello All,
I have been looking for a snow blower to use on a large area around the house and a 350 foot driveway. Anyway I came across this and of course am looking for any info I can find. I believe they were only made for two years in the 80's. Except for the seat the machine in very solid. I have a very small lawn so my contribution to mowing would be very limited but would like to restore this machine and share my experience.

I want on of those! Missed out on one years ago, and now its about the only RER attachment that I don't have. I'd pick it up if I was you!

O

ostrick

I want on of those! Missed out on one years ago, and now its about the only RER attachment that I don't have. I'd pick it up if I was you!

It doesn't have a mowing deck, just dedicated for snow removal which is what I'm looking for and I do plan on buying it.

J

Jixy

Hello all! My name is Carl and I live in Davenport, Iowa. My mower is a Snapper SR-1642, and it is used to mow around my house and a small park owned by the non-profit organization I am involved with (a youth mentoring program). I am newish to the mechanical world so I hope my ignorant questions do not annoy anyone :) Hope to be a useful member on this forum.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello all! My name is Carl and I live in Davenport, Iowa. My mower is a Snapper SR-1642, and it is used to mow around my house and a small park owned by the non-profit organization I am involved with (a youth mentoring program). I am newish to the mechanical world so I hope my ignorant questions do not annoy anyone :) Hope to be a useful member on this forum.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum, Carl!

H

Hoyter

Hello All..
I have a SR 1030 33" rider. The model number decal or plate is not on the mower. Based on what I have pieced together it is 33145??bve - the ? is the series number which would be 18, 20 or 22. I have found the manuals for all three and they look the same. Any help on identifying the series for this machine? Do I need to be concerned with the series number?

Thanks

H

Hoyter

Hello All..
I have a SR 1030 33" rider. The model number decal or plate is not on the mower. Based on what I have pieced together it is 33145??bve - the ? is the series number which would be 18, 20 or 22. I have found the manuals for all three and they look the same. Any help on identifying the series for this machine? Do I need to be concerned with the series number?

Thanks

Maybe a couple of pictures might help...

Attachments

AlanE

AlanE

figure I'd give the thread a little life support.

Just picked this up the other day. The guy I bought it from used it two seasons before getting a deal on a deere. He bought it from an old guy that used it one season before he had medical problems and parked it for years.

mower.jpg

mower2.jpg

mower3.jpg

Complete with all the manuals and even a Snapper brochure. :cool:

Date on the engine manual is from 2006. Only issue with it appears to be the rip in the seat.

N

NJsnapper

what ja pay? Scroll back to post #17 here and see the one I bought a few years ago. Identical to yours. congrats.. Just to let everyone know that mine is still mint in every way. I even wax it to keep it looking minty fresh :)

AlanE

AlanE

$400 and they delivered it to me. I only have a car so I couldn't get it. Yours looks in great shape! I don't blame you for waxing it.

N

NJsnapper

$400 and they delivered it to me. I only have a car so I couldn't get it. Yours looks in great shape! I don't blame you for waxing it.

Sounds like my deal. $500 delivered to me too:)

AlanE

AlanE

They were anxious to get rid of it since they had it for sale and every sale until me fell through. Can't believe people passed it up. :confused2:

N

NJsnapper

The guy who sold me was too. He delivered it over 100 miles for me :)

Rickstar22

Rickstar22

Hey there !!!

Mine is an '88 28086s RER with electric start (working now too). Here's a link to my ongoing thread...

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/snapper-forum/18368-hi-wa-state-got-me-oldie-but-goodie.html

AlanE

AlanE

Hey there !!!

Mine is an '88 28086s RER with electric start (working now too). Here's a link to my ongoing thread...

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/snapper-forum/18368-hi-wa-state-got-me-oldie-but-goodie.html

Nice find. can't beat free. Well I guess if someone paid you to take it...

J

jamesva

Most people call me Matt Dillon after the program gunsmoke. I own 2 snappers 1974 and 1983 rer making an original comet out of the 2 believe it or not most all the parts interchange with one another. When I get my daughter to help me I will post the old photos to you it will take me a year to restore the comet. I am replacing all bearings bushings paint job will take a while in no hurry I,m a disabled coal miner 35 years in the mines. Glad to join your forum:smile::smile::smile:Matt

Usermik8432

Usermik8432

Hi all,

My name is Mike and this is my first post on ANY online forum. I will share my experiences of restoring an old (non-operational) Snapper RER that I paid $20 for. I have also purchased an identical "parts" machine for $200 that is fully functional. I will add pictures and share information as the work progresses. Cheers!

Mike in Victoria, BC Canada

Usermik8432

Usermik8432

Most people call me Matt Dillon after the program gunsmoke. I own 2 snappers 1974 and 1983 rer making an original comet out of the 2 believe it or not most all the parts interchange with one another. When I get my daughter to help me I will post the old photos to you it will take me a year to restore the comet. I am replacing all bearings bushings paint job will take a while in no hurry I,m a disabled coal miner 35 years in the mines. Glad to join your forum:smile::smile::smile:Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!

Mike

mattm55

mattm55

Matt M here and I guess I put the cart before the horse. I did a restore build in the forum and now introducing myself. Woops.

Build link > http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/40933-Snapper-RER-28085S-Restore

Proud owner of a 1985 28" Snapper RER (28085S).

Thanks, Matt

S

slk230red

Out with the old, in with the new.....went with a Snapper RE 110, 11.5 HP rear engine rider to replace my 1986 Murray 8 HP riding mower. Delivered this morning. Gave it a bath and a coat of Mothers carnauba wax. If the Snapper last as long as the Murray, I'll be 96 years old.:laughing: I've been maintaining my mowing equipment since 1963.

20170509_150632.jpgOld and New.jpg

D

Dmarkcarpenter

I appreciate all of the work that goes into running a forum like this. I have a few snappers and other mowers. I am somewhat disabled. I broke my neck on the job and have issues. Of course some say i had issues before my accident.

mattm55

mattm55

Out with the old, in with the new.....went with a Snapper RE 110, 11.5 HP rear engine rider to replace my 1986 Murray 8 HP riding mower. Delivered this morning. Gave it a bath and a coat of Mothers carnauba wax. If the Snapper last as long as the Murray, I'll be 96 years old.:laughing: I've been maintaining my mowing equipment since 1963.

View attachment 32111View attachment 32112

Congrats. Good luck with the new machine.

Matt

D

dwaldo

Checking in.....I own a Snapper RER and a Snapper ninja that I re-powered when the original engine wore out. I am a big fan of the simple drive system on the snappers and have used them for over 20 years. My first snapper was given to me when my neighbor moved as he did not want to take it with him. I think they are some of the best built mowers out there.

C

CrisisMower

Hey! I just moved into a new house with about a half acre yard. It's small enough to push mow, but the previous owner fertilized four times a year, and with all the rain we've had, it takes about 4 days to.get long and shaggy. My neighbors are retired and semi-retired, so their lawns are always perfect. I work during the week, so my lawn was always the ugly one in the middle. When I solve problems like this I tend to go overboard, so I got a Snapper 360z with a Kawasaki and the 42" fabricated deck. I only got that deck because it just barely fits into my shed, but that deck has some suction to it. I'm pretty sure I could just mulch the kids' toys into the lawn. I can do the front, side and back in about an hour including trimming. Maybe a bit more. I ran over some stuff, put some scars into the earth, and backed into my sun porch a little bit, but I think I have the hang of it now. I call it Mowie. Short for Mowrice.

Attachments

S

Snapchatter

Hi Forums
My name is Jim. I'm in Waco, Texas. I just bought a project 28" Snapper HiVac. Don't know a darn thing about it which is why I joined up here. Hopefully y'all can help me with this thing. It runs, drives and mows but definitely needs work. My plan is to completely disassemble, powdercoat it and refurbish all the wear parts. When it's all done it will be my goto yard machine.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here.

Attachments

mattm55

mattm55

Welcome Waco-Jim.

Looks like a workable RER you have there. Take lots of pics while disassembling as you tend to forget as the time passes on reassembly. Luckily I had pics for the cable routing and deck which helped.

Enjoy, Matt

T

TimH

Hello, Just bought a barn find for 100 bucks. Had it running in less than a hour. I live in NW Ohio and am a Honda Motorcycle dealer. Not new to bringing old garden tractors back to life. Already had 3 Wheel Horse tractors that I restored. Always want a Snapper Big thing is I know very little about what I bought Only it has a twin Cyl. Kohler Any help would be very nice. Thanks

Attachments

S

snapper71753

Checking in as a new member.

I'm mowing about 1/2 acre and I have a 28" Hi Vac riding snapper mower. It's been a good one!

A

Alansd

Hey all.
I found a one owner 1973 Snapper Comet near me for cheap $$ and brought it home.
Engine has been replaced with a Tecumseh XL 8HP. Took me a week of messing around to realize the throttle is backwards. When I pushed it up to Start it wouldn't.
In RUN it will start, but only on carb cleaner. Does not pull gas. Looking to replace or rebuild the carb soon. I got it off yesterday. Sitting on the workbench.

The owner was a car mechanic whose Dad bought the thing new. He took great care of it and parked it when he got gifted a new riding mower. The fluids were all drained and so it was stored well.

Anyway here she is as she sits. Hope to get it running good and then I will repaint the red and white and maybe add the decals.

I like old stuff from the 60s and 70s. I have two cars and an old Camping Trailer from that era.

DSC_1694.jpg

T

twowheelinjim

Good day all, I'm new to the forum. My name is Jim. As of lately i have had a hankering to find an old Snapper Comet to mow my lawn and possibly restore this winter. So far in my search I have managed to drag home an older comet and a newer 1333 riding mower. And this fine morning, I was offered a dozer blade for the comet....I'm very excited to say the least and that's what has brought me here. I'm searching for information. I had always wondered what the attachment points were designed for in the front end.
I'm very happy to have found this forum and looking forward to meeting y'all.

A

Alansd

I am working on my Comet, just rebuilt the carb. I got it to start on starting fluid but the gas was not getting in to keep it running.. Got the kit and did it today. Raining so I cant get out and start it up,, hopefully it will.

I think your attachment points are for the handles to lift the mower. It can be stored standing up on the rear end.

Funny thing I was visiting an old friend, who has similar passions as I do. Old Volkswagens, Airstream, and guitar playing. We are like minded.
I told him I had bought a Snapper Comet , 1973 model. He took me to his barn where he had the same exact mower, year model and all. He has used it on the farm for 20 years.

crazy huh?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Latest pics of the fleet. 17 Snapper. 2 Honda. All tucked away, grouped accordingly. Bags are all nos, plus another half dozen or so packed away in a plastic container. Not even looking for more, finally found all the ones I've been hunting for. Drove a lot of miles to accomplish that however. Two trips to the middle of Oregon, twice to Nevada, and all over my area. Been fun but think I'm done actively searching. Never turn a good cheap or free one away of course but I got the ones I want. Nice to hang out in the garage and look at all the red and white. Well, thought I'd post some of that red and white. Hope you like.

Attachments

rickpaulos

rickpaulos

Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- Read This First! How old is this Ninja?

Just got a used Snapper Ninja. Intended use is to mow the ditch in front of my house. Just not safe to use my rider there and I think the self propelled option will help me out.

Anyhow I'm wondering how old this Ninja is. Are the serial numbers, partno or model encoded with date informat at all? I don't see any other dates on it yet.

mod: frp216012 = Flange deck, Recycler model, self-Propeled, 21" blade, 6.0 hp, series 12.
serial 95187957
partno 84302

briggs big six engine.

Of course it started when I tried it out but wouldn't start this morning at home. Probably needs a tune up.

I guess you all know, this is so HEAVY. Took two to lift it in/out of the van. Nothing like any mower I've owned before.

G

gvanek

Hi Forums
My name is Jim. I'm in Waco, Texas. I just bought a project 28" Snapper HiVac. Don't know a darn thing about it which is why I joined up here. Hopefully y'all can help me with this thing. It runs, drives and mows but definitely needs work. My plan is to completely disassemble, powdercoat it and refurbish all the wear parts. When it's all done it will be my goto yard machine.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here.

Hey Jim. There's a guy on YouTube...Jim's Fix It Shop...who has series of in depth videos on how to repair/restore just about everything on these Snapper RER's. I've found them incredibly helpful.

Give him a look.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Nice mower gvanek, judging by the s/n I’d say that’s a 1999 model. First number in s/n is last number in year built and series 12 should put it in the ‘90s. Looks original so you could also check the 8-digit code on the engine, first 2 digits are the year the engine was built.

rickpaulos

rickpaulos

Thank you snapperfreak. I'll check the Ninja's engine serial/model in the spring. Once it gets warm enough and the grass starts growing. I plan on a good carb cleaning and new plug then. I guess this is a commercial grade mower, compared to the consumer grade or disposable grade mowers I've usually had.

B

bertsmobile1

If the Briggs engine is original the DOM of the engine will be in the serial number on that heat shield on top the muffler.
First 2 numbers are the year, second 2 the month & 3rd pair the day of that month.
The next lot is the sequencial number followed by a code for the factory where it was made.
Being that the engine had to be made then shipped to Snapper the engine should be a couple of months earlier than the mower.
Then you adjust for seasons as if it was made in late summer or fall then it was the next years model.

rickpaulos

rickpaulos

If the Briggs engine is original the DOM of the engine will be in the serial number on that heat shield on top the muffler.
First 2 numbers are the year, second 2 the month & 3rd pair the day of that month.
The next lot is the sequential number followed by a code for the factory where it was made.
Being that the engine had to be made then shipped to Snapper the engine should be a couple of months earlier than the mower.
Then you adjust for seasons as if it was made in late summer or fall then it was the next years model.

hah! I had taken a photo when i got it. So, 1999 seems to be confirmed. Thanks.

C

computersmith

Hello All,
computersmith here. Look forward to sharing ideas and information with everyone. I have a 3011X6S that I bought new in 1982 and a recently acquired M300919B.

W

warthog

Hi I'm new to the forum, but look forward to info. I have (finally found) a model 300855 RER. I bought it used for $350 about 12 -15yrs ago.
Gave it to my son who used it for 3-5 yrs and now I have it back. The engine runs good but the blade vibrates, I almost junked it but did not have the heart to part with it. A good friend of mine who was a great mechanic told me a Snapper could always be fixed. So I'm going to work on it some more. I've rebuilt the rear drive and other work.

J

j_howell

Snapper Z220kv

Greetings fellow Snapper mower enthusiasts. My name is John and recently became the owner of a 1995 (?) 80920 Z220kv. I am joining this forum in an attempt to score a part or two I need for this mower. It is a single joystick mower and does a good job cutting--it cuts better than it looks! However i need a rear wheel for it. The wheel/tire combo part # is 7062278' wheel part# is (i believe) 7079162YP. Wheel dims 20 - 10.00 - 10 and the wheel has (4) lug holes. Any help is greatly appreciated!

A

Atlsud

Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- 3312x6s

Took me several months to find my Snapper 3312x6s. 33 inch deck with electric start. Some dry rot on the front tires but holds pressure and cuts. Seat is rough but works, not a bad find for $100.

I ordered a replacement blade, air filter, boots and clutch plate. I’m thinking about repainting after the season is over. Here are a few picks before I power washed it.

A48EEE6B-63EF-4AD1-BB1D-EE1F75B1DCB1.jpg9F559F48-E33B-47A7-8331-6DD992C73DA3.jpg

E

Evanejp1980

Hello forum,

My name is Evan and I decided to join for a few reasons. I’ve been using snapper hi vacs for over 30 years and consider myself familiar with them. I currently am reconditioning a 21400p from 1981. I also have a newer 2004 hi vac with a Honda engine.

BArnold

BArnold

New to Forum and Snapper

I've had a variety of mowers in my lifetime (73yrs) but now have my first Snapper. Since moving to a property with about one acre, I've had riders and finally updated to a ZTR, my Snapper 550Z 61".

550Z.jpg

550Z_BA_Shop.jpg

The 550Z has been reliable and makes a great cut!

The biggest issue I've had was changing the hydraulic oil filters a few weeks ago. I totally destroyed a filter wrench trying to get the filter off and finally had to remove the wheels for better access to the filters. It was incredible how tight the factory had put the filters on. I wrote to Snapper and they forwarded my email to the manufacturer of the motors. I never got a response from them, not that it really matters. I installed the new filters correctly so I can get them off next time!

The mower is comfortable to ride on, but I wanted to ask if any of you have modified the stock seat suspension in any way. I see an assembly online but I'm thinking there might be a simpler way to improve the ride a bit.

I look forward to learning more from you folks!

GregInEllijay

GregInEllijay

Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- Read This First! - GregInEllijay checking in

I have a 73 Comet 3080 and now an older 306RD (1963 - 1966 per Tractor Data) which I just got and is still under a tarp on the trailer. Once it stops raining for 5 minutes in Georgia I plan on getting it out and going through it. Interesting in that these have dual drum brakes with brake straps on the outside that you can see from the top. The drive guts are similar but different too. I also have two running Snapping Turtles.

So now I am looking for reference materials for repair, dating, and painting. I found a location at TractorData that shows Snapper RER by year at - is that reliable? The Snapper website doesn't have anything for stuff that old.

I found a very good manuals link at mytractorforum, but not sure about links to outside sites being allowed here.

Anyway thanks for the site and am looking forward to talking to anyone about older Comets as I have the bug. I'm 59 years old and cut a million miles of grass on an old Comet as a teenager. I think my first mechanical learning experience was with the drive disc.

take care
Greg in Ellijay GA

G

gvanek

Greg, look up Jim’s Fixit Shop on YouTube. He’s a great source for repair info on our RER’s.

GregInEllijay

GregInEllijay

Thanks! I actually have already found him and he is a great source and appears to be a great person.
take care
Greg

Just got this RP215012 up and running. Any explanation as to what the Recycler designation means other than pull start mount is on right of handle?

20190718_120256.jpg

S

slk230red

Just got this RP215012 up and running. Any explanation as to what the Recycler designation means other than pull start mount is on right of handle?

View attachment 44870

It's a term Snapper uses for their mulching mowers.
Mine came with the Mulching kit/Ninja blade, side chute, and bagging chute and bag.

Attachments

It's a term Snapper uses for their mulching mowers.
Mine came with the Mulching kit/Ninja blade, side chute, and bagging chute and bag.

Thankyou!

How do/did you like the ninja blade? Im in the process of turning mine into a mulcher, and I ordered one of those oregon wavy blades to try. Gonna get the mulch cover as well.

E

echelonphoto

Spper 1333

Just bought a 1995 1333 33" cut with 13hp motor on ebay for a hundred bucks! Pretty amazed as the mower runs and cuts and I already did my whole lawn with it. Most used snappers around here are selling for about $600 and they are the 28" models. It had stickers from the original seller who is
still in business....I would like to do maintanance to make this thing run like new! Maybe I'll get some picks, but you already know what these look like...its actually in pretty good cosmetic shape except for a little tear in the seat.

B

Bkupmstr

JIm from Morris County NJ

Hello all

ive had snapper riders for the last 15 years
love them and do everything with them

I have two right now, trying to take the best of both and make one great one

not sure of the years yet

lots of questions and pictures to come

Jim

E

exiled_to_ohio

Hey this is Thomas, I used to be from Seattle, but now I'm living in Bay Village, OH near Cleveland. I've been mowing with Briggs & Tecumseh engines for about 40 years. My current ride is my first rider, a Snapper 42" SPX. I like mowing, it's very zen, nobody can hear you, and you can't hear them. :)

Attachments

T

TBigLug

Everyone calls me Big John. This is my early 2000's Out Fron Z-Rider we call the Pibble. If anyone can shed some light on it's history I'd appreciate it. Turns out these are rarer than hen's teeth!20210331_192745.jpg