SNAPPER 30" RER with B&S 28B707 model stopped moving

vseiferd

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SNAPPER 30" RER with B&S 28B707 model stopped moving
After days of complaining I listened to my wife and pulled the mower from the garage and hooked it up to my truck. (battery is dead and I've been lazy). She turned right over but was running higher than usual so I lowered the throttle and moved on. I went to mount her and noticed a very large puddle of liquid right under the engine. I checked the oil, fuel lines and no apparant leaks. She ran and everything "seemed' to work UNTIL I put her in 1st gear and she barely moved. I tried 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear and the same issue.
I shut her down lifted her up and started my investigation but am completely unfamiliar with this. After looking at the system and parts manuals I realize there may be a problem with the drive disc and I think the liner is part of the problem. The liner seems to be completely removed from the disc and just spins freely. I have not checked the plugs in the transmission cases which is where I think liquid came from.
The only other thing I noticed that the drive belt is really, really loose and I can move it freely with out any issue. Is that right when it is not in gear?
I would appreciate any help with my problem which I believe I can repair if I can get some validation on my thoughts....
Thanks!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / SNAPPER 30" RER with B&S 28B707 model stopped moving
Those drive disks have a special construction. It's dual density, to save on wear and avoid jerks when the clutch is released. Sounds like the cores separated. that'd be your main problem.

No, the belt should not be loose. Did you have the parking brake on? That'll leave slack in the belt. If the parking brake wasn't on, check your pulleys, the belt might've jumped an idler.

The case against the frame rail holds the differential gears, and does have fluid in it. Check the axle seals and tubes around this housing.

Good luck and welcome!