Export thread

Snapper 21401P saved

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Found this on cl a few weeks ago for $45...and 1-1/2 hours away from me so didn't think much about it. Yesterday the price dropped to "make offer" so I offered $20 and he took it. Drive up to get it, a nice drive through farm lands and fields. Really nice older couple, the mower was his fathers who passed away a few years back. It's been sitting since but his father bought it new in 1983. It was worth the drive and I'll be cleaning it up this winter/spring. The tank is totally dry and the engine is locked up so once it's cleaned up I'll dive into that but overall it was well kept.

image-1301196854.jpg

image-1764752762.jpg

image-200121969.jpg

image-1068422933.jpg

image-2014957562.jpg

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

image-798616815.jpg

image-347587631.jpg

image-3908563105.jpg

Had a couple hours tonight to work on it so I cleaned it up some. Took off the engine and cleaned all under it and on too of the deck where it mounts to. Still need to take the shroud off and clean in there but this must've been kept indoors most or it's life. Very little fading on the frame. A little rust on the shroud but not bad. I love these old basic briggs models. Still want to find some series 0 vertical-recoil models.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Nice little gem you've found there. What are your plans for it?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Definitely will be keeping this one. With it in such good shape and coming from its original owner I couldn't part with it. I'll be using it on occasion once it's running too. These are the ones I really like to find, to hear the stories behind. Ones that have actually been taken care of. Where the paint still has almost all if its original shine to it once the dust and dirt is wiped off. So it has taken up permanent residence in the garage next to the others.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Very clean mower considering the age. The wheels are still very white and donnot seem to have many scratches.
Always nice to hear the story behind a mower,car, etc.

I can't wait to get my new commercial Snapper.

bt3

bt3

Excellent, OP.

Considering I paid over $600 for mine new in the 80's (that's it in my Avatar), you did GREAT.
Although mine is a Wisconsin Robin Commercial model. With accessories it was a thousand dollar bill back then. And since it's still mowing my lawn, I guess it was not a bad deal.

Awesome mower. Good find. Congrats.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Thanks guys. More pics to come as work progresses. Yep they were built to last, that's for sure. And as much as I love my WRs, I still love these old basic briggs models too.

What's this about a new snapper commercial Lawnboy18?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Thanks guys. More pics to come as work progresses. Yep they were built to last, that's for sure. And as much as I love my WRs, I still love these old basic briggs models too.

What's this about a new snapper commercial Lawnboy18?

I ordered one! I wanted a second commercial 21" mower in my fleet for a backup. It will have the Honda engine (GXV160). I didn't want the Briggs. I would of really wanted it with the Kawi engine, but they no longuer use that motor. I took the Hi-vac deck. It should be a nice machine.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Wow nice! That's a great engine. The only snapper I bought new was in 1998. Not commercial, self-propelled homeowner with 5hp briggs but I still remember how it felt picking it up and how it smelled the first few times I used it. Kinda wish I still had it for posterity.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I know, I just love that new smell and that "first time". Always a nice feeling when coming back with a new mower.

The residential mowers are very good units. All tho, I wanted something a little stronger.

SnapperMowers

SnapperMowers

This looks great, SnapperFreak! We can't wait to see the finished result!

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Thanks, good news is I got it running. I think the piston was just stuck, sprayed a little wd40 in the spark plug hole and got it free. Running pretty well, until the starter clutch started screaming and spitting out the recoil string. So I'll clean that up this weekend and let it run awhile. Needs a new drive belt and air filter but all in all it's a pretty easy fix. Will post more complete pics this weekend.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Not bad for an old mower! I love Snapper mowers. You should check out YBravo and le me know what you think about those mowers. They seem very similar to a Snapper. Once I get my Snapper, I will take some pictures to compare.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I'll take a look at the YBravo next time I'm at the shop. I used to see them frequently with the landscapers but don't see them around much lately.

Ok got the starter clutch all cleaned. Starts and runs now after a few pulls but won't stay running more than about 15-20 seconds max so should just be a carb cleaning. That will be a job for another day, at least I know it runs and is all cleaned up. I do need to clean the front wheels but, another day.

image-964219107.jpg

image-2468131684.jpg

image-1557487796.jpg

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Very nice job! I think that Snapper mowers look even better when they have the bagger on. I guess this one didn't come with it?

Maybe landscapers lost interests in the Ybravo mowers?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Here we go...one of my NOS bags. For display only haha!

image-1161428441.jpg

image-4192990143.jpg

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Not sure about if landscapers fell out of love with the YBravos but now I'm curious. Around here I mostly see them with toro or exmark but I will ask the shop when I go in there...which will be soon because I need to pay on my layaway (Shindaiwa T242!).

Yes the mower came with a bag but it has some tears on the bottom. The hardware is good but the bag not so much. These NOS bags of mine I don't use of course but it looks good on it. The mower is a 1983 and the bag is dated 1982. Once this is running well I will definitely be using it regularly.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

It looks so good with a bag! Just what is a NOS bag?

I see that the self propelled handle to make the mower move forward has not changed. Is it easy to use as compared to a traditionnal bail that you squeeze?

Please let me know about those Ybravo mowers. I am the only here that has one. I feel special ahaha.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

NOS is new old stock. I've got a few of them. As for the drive engagement, I really like the snapper design. The little lever on the side that folds over is do easy to use. The bail for the flywheel brake I used to remove but now keep them on for that original factory look. Only my commercial and extra tough models have no flywheel brake bail.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

NOS is new old stock. I've got a few of them. As for the drive engagement, I really like the snapper design. The little lever on the side that folds over is do easy to use. The bail for the flywheel brake I used to remove but now keep them on for that original factory look. Only my commercial and extra tough models have no flywheel brake bail.

Thanks for the clarification on NOS.
Good to know about the bail. Can't wait to get mine.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yes, and for less than that! I got it for a real good price.
What blade would be good for mulching?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Cool deal. The ninja blade seems to be the best mulching blade. I personally don't mulch often, although I may this year. But that's what I use based on many other peoples' opinion from using it.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the slight thread jack.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Haha it's all good. If it's snapper I'm interested! Hope to see pics of your new machine when u get it!

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I'll get some when I get it. Right now the store has it in storage since it is winter time here. I will maybe get it in two weeks.

OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

That is a nice save! Original owner and it that shape. Heck of a find for $20. I would definiely leave that original like you did being that good of condition. So have you used it lately or done anymore with it?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Haven't done anymore yet. Pulled the engine and shroud and cleaned it all up but it needs carb work so it's going to sit for awhile. It'll start but run for just a few seconds and then die. I will get it fixed but I have several that need work so they gotta wait til I have time and money. So for now it's up on the rack...nice to look at though!

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Here's my latest find, an old briggs 5hp I/C for my commercial deck that was missing an engine. Found it this weekend for $25. Missing the shroud and it needs the pulley and blade adapter on the shaft but I already have the shroud on order from eBay. Got it from the guy I bought my BBC snapper last summer. I got it cleaned up and mounted, the mower also needs a new flat disc so this will be a summer project, although I should have time for more projects too but here it is so far.

image-2781561597.jpg

image-283662882.jpg

image-3091824676.jpg

image-3062536909.jpg

OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Good find! Post it when it you're done

R

rarebear

Looks like good candidate for a Harbor Freight Predator 5.5 HP engine..
They are on sale for $119

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Nah, keeping it old school original.

R

rarebear

I've been itching to buy one and try it out :)
My 21 year old lawnboy runs like a champ so I guess I'm trying get my engine through you :)

Are you planning on repaint or just getting it running well?

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Haha I understand! No, my painting days are over, I'm keeping them all original patina from here on out. Even with less-than-perfect paint condition I've found I really prefer original. That goes for engines too, however, the only aftermarket engine if throw on a deck would be a honda GXV140 or 160.

I would really like to find an old bricktop though, speaking of lawnboys. Yours is 21 years old, does it have a Tecumseh? Actually I'd like to find an old early '80s crappy craftsman like the one I had when I was a kid...but I digress. How bout some pics of your lawnboy??

R

rarebear

DSC_4151.jpgDSC_4152.jpgDSC_4153.jpg

I just finished painting a new aluminum deck for a from a 10515, it came with the muffler plate so I can mount my engine from the 680540 and change it over.. I had to buy new back wheel adjusters and I use the handle from the older one..

I was hoping to just drill new holes but the new deck's engine hole is way bigger than my engine's muffler plate..
Since muffler plates are different sizes and different hole spaces, I was lucky it came with the plate and fits my engine...

OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Wow! Huge improvement on that deck. Nicely done!