Export thread

Slow to start

T

tapndog1

When I turn the key on my riding mower the starter acts as if it needs more juice. The first rotation of the engine is slow and then it acts normal. Starter, solenoid, or what. Battery is fine.

B

Bertrrr

Clean and check all your battery connections , your starter may be getting old and worn if all connections are good - not the Solenoid if it's kicking the starter over or the ignition switch

T

tapndog1

Clean and check all your battery connections , your starter may be getting old and worn if all connections are good - not the Solenoid if it's kicking the starter over or the ignition switch
Thanks.

T

tapndog1

Thanks.

B

bertsmobile1

When was the last time you checked the valve lash ?

S

slomo

Battery is fine
Was this battery load tested?

T

tapndog1

Was this battery load tested?
Batteries are fine on both mowers. Mowers are pressure washed top and bottom about twice monthly.

S

slomo

Batteries are fine on both mowers. Mowers are pressure washed top and bottom about twice monthly.
So what is this post about then?
When I turn the key on my riding mower the starter acts as if it needs more juice.
Sounds like you need more juice??

B

Bertrrr

Pull your starter and throw 12 volts on it , it should spin over freely , hold on tight b/c it will jump.

S

slomo

Pull your starter and throw 12 volts on it , it should spin over freely , hold on tight b/c it will jump.
Good ol' bench test. I like it.

B

bertsmobile1

Unless you have sealed off the battery cables to prevent water ingression then all of that pressure washing ( which is the most destructive thing you can do to a mower ) has probably caused the battery leads to corrode under the insulation .
Mowers should be blown down not washed down as grass clipping adsorb water and compact when hit with a pressure washer
Unless the mower is stone cold then water will sit on bearings then get sucked in as they cool and the air inside contracts .