Export thread

Simplicity Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Simplicity mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Simplicity owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Simplicity mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Simplicity stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

J

Jack Brehmer

Hello, just signed in as a new member. I have three Simplicity Sunstar tractors, one with a loader (handiest tool I have ever owned), one with a 60" mower deck, and one with a 48" deck. What I really like about these tractors is the hydrostat lever is right alongside the steering wheel. This feature is just not available on any newer tractors I have seen. Prices on parts have been very high and now Dealers are saying they do not have parts for this "out-of date" machine. So, I am turning to the internet for parts I need.
One problem I have with one tractor is overheating, and several Dealers could find nothing wrong. Mowing in warmer weather causes the "oil Sentry" to shut down the ignition. Difficult to get the work done when this happens!
Jack Brehmer, jackb@mtco.com

M

marmstead

Hello Everyone,
I have an early Simplicity ZTR 14-44(I think) with a Kohler Command CV 460S-14 hp engine. It's the one with the steering bars on the center column. It has been abused (not by me, of course) but still does the job. It's amazing how it putts through tall, wet grass if the blades are sharp.

It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. But this may not be the right place to go into that. I'll poke around the forum a bit and see if anyone has already posted this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

K

KennyV

One problem I have with one tractor is overheating, and several Dealers could find nothing wrong. Mowing in warmer weather causes the "oil Sentry" to shut down the ignition. Difficult to get the work done when this happens!
Jack Brehmer, jackb@mtco.com

What engine is on this one...
If nothing else is wrong the problem may be fuel related...
Try running premium fuel with a high octane rating.
Regular grade gas has alcohol in it to bring it up to spec on octane... in hot weather and on a hot engine the alcohol will cook out leaving a fuel that will detonate under load... that will really heat it up fast...
Higher octane premium will fix this problem... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

Hello Everyone,
It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. ...
Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

Check for an air leak at the carb to engine... also the governor linkage...
BTW welcome to this forum... there are several folks here with simplicity tractors... :smile:KennyV

Bluesfan45

Bluesfan45

Just got my father in laws 14 or 15 year old Sovereign Hydro 18hp, 48" cut passed down to me. I've wanted a Simplicity for a long time, ever since I helped out at a friends shop in VA who sells them.
It needs some work, missing several rollers, but those are just minor things in the grand scheme of my lawn care adventure.
Even in the state the deck is in, after sharpening the blades, greasing the spindles, it still cuts better and more even then my 2 year old Toro LX425.
Anyway, I am now the PROUD owner of a REAL riding mower.

C

Carl in CT

I just bought a new Conquest today! I found a dealer less than 20 miles away from me that had a leftover 2010 Conquest with a 50" deck and the 23hp Vangaurd motor. He sold it to me for his cost, $5,200, $800 off of his list price. I tried to get him down a little more but he said he was not even quite breaking even at $5,200. I got the 1.9% financing for 60 months. That offer expires tomorrow, 4/30/11 so just in time unless they extend it as they have with the other ones (like 0% for 3 years, etc). Paid the tax and finance promotion fees plus a little extra so I financed just under $4,900 which should get my monthly payments around $85-$90 a month. That made this mower the best deal I could find since the used ones disappear almost as fast as my grass is growing and even the cheaper John Deere X320 would have cost more overall because the financing is not as good (4.9% for 4 years, still not horrible). He also had another 2010 with 4wd and power steering for $1,200 more which was very tempting but I do not need it and am already stretching the budget as it is.

I had a small heart attack when the words "oil/lube" came on the little info screen on the dash and the deck was cutting like crap. Read the manual and that is just a oil/lube service reminder, not the oil pressure light (odd for a mower with less than 5 hours on it?). The deck had a spring that was not attached. Fixed the spring and it mows fine now. My yard is an uneven mess from my backhoe driving all over it and at least 6 inches tall so not fair to judge the cut quality yet but it actually looks wicked good already.

Here are some pics, including our Sheltie pup in the background.

Attachments

twall

twall

That is one sweet machine, Carl! :thumbsup:

I have always liked the full roller in the rear of Simplicity decks......a carry-over from the 60's, I suspect....My '67 Broadmoor has that, as well!

Too rich for my blood, but nice nevertheless! :biggrin:

J

Josephii

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Simplicity owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Simplicity mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Simplicity stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hello:

I have a sunrunner and I can't get the rear wheels off of it.....I feel stupid!

Thanks.

Joe

K

KennyV

Hello:

I have a sunrunner and I can't get the rear wheels off of it...

Joe

Hello Joe...
Those are cute little mowers...
I found a youtube for me and anyone else that has not seen one...
YouTube - The 1987 Simplicity SunRunner rear-wheel-turn lawn tractor
There were only 2 and both have operators that should not be allowed to operate neat old equipment... but hey I guess its theirs to wreck...

The rear wheels look to be regular light weight spindles, most likely bushings but could be bearings... they should come right off... what is under the little dust cap? :smile:KennyV

J

Jack Brehmer

What engine is on this one...
If nothing else is wrong the problem may be fuel related...
Try running premium fuel with a high octane rating.
Regular grade gas has alcohol in it to bring it up to spec on octane... in hot weather and on a hot engine the alcohol will cook out leaving a fuel that will detonate under load... that will really heat it up fast...
Higher octane premium will fix this problem... :smile:KennyV
Thanks, all three of my Sunstar tractors have the Kohler Command CH20S engine. Only the one has this problem, gets so hot you can not pull the dip stick without gloves, the oil gets as this as water. I ahve discovered Red Line super synthetic oil, formulated for air-cooled racing motorcycle engines and this allows me to get the work done. Jack

K

KennyV

I have discovered Red Line super synthetic oil, formulated for air-cooled racing motorcycle engines and this allows me to get the work done. Jack

Can't go wrong with a good synthetic ... great in air cooled engines... :smile:KennyV

J

Jack Brehmer

Red Line super synthetic - $12/qt. Jack

D

delta

hi, i am new to this site and i love to mow and talk simplicity:thumbsup: i have a citation zero turn with a 48inch cut and 21hp b&g vanguard motor, also have b3000 cab kubota with fel. just wanted to say hello, thx delta

W

whh

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

R

rich_kildow

I just purchased and picked up a 7116 with a 48" deck, snowblower, rear PTO vac, trailer, and weights!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The auction is over, so this shouldn't violate any "no posting ebay sales" rules...this is just for the pic. It is manual lift, but I would like to convert it to electric or hydro. I have a few 800 and 1500lb actuators around the shop, so those might work nicely. I also found a plow that I'll be picking up ASAP.

scott181

scott181

Guess I am here to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I just purchased a used Simplicity coronet from craigs list. I live in a large city in Michigan, but I have a double lot and using a push mower would take an hour or 2, so I wanted a small rider. I was told this mower is 14 years old, but it starts right up and runs great. I've used it once and am very impressed with it. It has the double rear bagger on it, but doesn't seem to be working. I really haven't checked it out much, other then oil, gas, and mowed the lawn. Could it just be the outlet on the side is plugged, or the mower deck is clogged up?? It cut the grass fine, but all the clippings were left on the ground. Really not a big deal as they just dry up and blow away, but if I have the bagger, why not use it. Any suggestions??

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Hello everyone,
I've got a 95' model simplicity regent hydro 12 and I've got some questions about the transmission.
How do I know if the transmission has the correct amount of fluid in it?
If I want to change the fluid, what's the correct way to do it and how much of what type of fluid should I put in there?

L

lestro

Hi, Les from Illinois, got a 97 regent hydro, does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for this cheap? thanks

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Hi, Les from Illinois, got a 97 regent hydro, does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for this cheap? thanks

you can get it from the simplicity website Simplicity User Manuals and Instructions

L

lestro

thanks that is for user and parts manuals, but I found a link for repair manual
You can get one here (http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEEGP_drP3tG5EO87mRgtLvBCd6).

wwmw57

wwmw57

Hello; my name is William, I live in Limestone, TN. I just signed up as a new member here, I am also a member of Tractorbynet. I glad to be here on the fourm. I have a Simplicity Sunstar GTH 20. not sure what year its been painted over, I just gave $600 for it, and the tractor runs great. Have been thinking about putting a FEL on it, or a Johnny Bucket Jr. your thoughts...

Here's a pic of me bringing it home last week. :smile:

Thanks!
William

Attachments

M

morgandh

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Last fall I purchased a 1999 Simplicity Sovereign 18 hydro as an upgrade to our 32 year old Allis Chalmers 910, a Simplicity twin. Unfortunately the tractor isn't in the condition I was lead to believe and after less than 20 hours I'm having to replace the engine. The engine is a Kohler Command OHV , model CH 18 S. A cylinder sleave has moved/came loose. My repair guy indicates the engine was a new design at the time and didn't work out. There is no short block or other fix other than a new engine of different design and kit to fit the Sovereign. So beware of a Sovereign with the Kohler OHV 18 engine. Dan

M

Messerschmitt

Hi, My name is Tom, and I bought a new Simplicity Regent last year. So far it's great!

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Last fall I purchased a 1999 Simplicity Sovereign 18 hydro as an upgrade to our 32 year old Allis Chalmers 910, a Simplicity twin. Unfortunately the tractor isn't in the condition I was lead to believe and after less than 20 hours I'm having to replace the engine. The engine is a Kohler Command OHV , model CH 18 S. A cylinder sleave has moved/came loose. My repair guy indicates the engine was a new design at the time and didn't work out. There is no short block or other fix other than a new engine of different design and kit to fit the Sovereign. So beware of a Sovereign with the Kohler OHV 18 engine. Dan

did you replace the engine already? if so, what type did you go with?

M

MannyG

Hi,
I have a 16ZT44 mower 1998 vintage. I maintain it myself and have a question about the plastic body.
Does anyone know what plastic is used and is there a good adhesive or glue or epoxy or primer that can fix cracks in this plastic? I have found that Bondo fiberglass resin does not adhere well no matter what preparation I do. Any help would be appreciated as the Dealer wants almost $500 for a new body.
thanks
Manny

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

New Owner checking in

Hello Ladies and Gents!

As directed, I'm checking in with my recently acquired 5216H that I plan to keep for personal use. This is my first simplicity and I'm impressed with the quality and quiet running twin cylinder Briggs engine. I found this locally on craigslist (along with another Snapper LT) for $150 each. It runs and mows as is but the choke has to be on all the time and the spindle bearings are howling. I've ordered a carb kit, belts and bearings for installation in the next month or so. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.446166732093198.97606.420579901318548&type=1

D

Daviedav

Hello, I have a 1972 4040 Simplicity wit 48" tiller turning plow, cultivator, 5 foot deck, front and rear blades. This is a great tractor and tool. I was tilling a garden for a friend and broke a part on my #469 tiller, can anyone help me find a part for it? The part is a clutch hub assy. I have probably owned this unit for about 20 yearsand it's still a good'un.
Thanks much,
Dave

S

snapsstorer

being new to this thread, the name is kevin. i just picked up 2 simplicity's. one is the cavalier 3108, the other is the cavalier 3110. had to replace the engine on the 3108, and fix the steering on the 3110. the 3110 runs great. still assembling the 3108. i got the both of them for $75. got the 8 horse off a destroyed dixon rider. going to do a painting job on the both of them in the future. will have pictures of them before and after.

C

ctenay

Hi, name is Chris, this is my first Lawn Tractor. A running great Simplicity modle 1690527 3198 rear engine. I want to restore this to look new! My problem is I am burning my lawn, I can NOT get the deck to raise any higher. Looking for help and if I can put some bigger front tires on it, I believe they are only 4.10.......

Thank you.

I hope this forum can be fun.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi, name is Chris, this is my first Lawn Tractor. A running great Simplicity modle 1690527 3198 rear engine. I want to restore this to look new! My problem is I am burning my lawn, I can NOT get the deck to raise any higher. Looking for help and if I can put some bigger front tires on it, I believe they are only 4.10.......

Thank you.

I hope this forum can be fun.

:welcome: to LMF, Chris! :smile:

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

Re: New Owner checking in

Hello Ladies and Gents!

As directed, I'm checking in with my recently acquired 5216H that I plan to keep for personal use. This is my first simplicity and I'm impressed with the quality and quiet running twin cylinder Briggs engine. I found this locally on craigslist (along with another Snapper LT) for $150 each. It runs and mows as is but the choke has to be on all the time and the spindle bearings are howling. I've ordered a carb kit, belts and bearings for installation in the next month or so. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.446166732093198.97606.420579901318548&type=1

As the saying goes, time flies when you're having fun.

I just wrapped up the deck arbor bearing replacement yesterday. It took about 4 hours total from dropping the deck to re-installation; it turned out to be very easy after getting the first one done and figuring out how to get them apart. 6 bearings in all.

The deck belt had already been replaced at some point with an OEM Simplicity belt so I left it in place.

The drive belt was replaced in the process (again, very easy) so it's on the way to being lawn ready again in the spring. I still have to replace the fuel line, do a little carb work and service the diff as time allows.

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

Re: New Owner checking in

As the saying goes, time flies when you're having fun.

I just wrapped up the deck arbor bearing replacement yesterday. It took about 4 hours total from dropping the deck to re-installation; it turned out to be very easy after getting the first one done and figuring out how to get them apart. 6 bearings in all.

The deck belt had already been replaced at some point with an OEM Simplicity belt so I left it in place.

The drive belt was replaced in the process (again, very easy) so it's on the way to being lawn ready again in the spring. I still have to replace the fuel line, do a little carb work and service the diff as time allows.

I pulled the dash this morning and wrapped up the fuel line replacement tonight. I can't believe the old line wasn't leaking; it was soooo rotted and cracked! I performed the same replacement earlier this year on a Regent and it's a pretty simple process.

Attachments

S

simplymike

I,m here to check in my name is Mike I just aquired a 16 GTH don't know much about it yet as I have only used it 1 time and now I cannot get it to run again.I hope to be up and running soon as it done a great job the first time. I will post pic,s shortly. Just wanted to say hi all. Mike

J

Jayscott

:smile:Hi my name is Jay. I live in Wisconsin and have about 2-3 acres of yard to mow. I have just acquired a 92 or 93 Simplicity RTH12 with a 36" cut. Ran great for the most part the first two times I used it. On the third time out, I hit a stick and completely stopped to engine (12hp B&S)... for the last three days i have been trying to figure out how to get it to restart. Not being a direct drive, i am having difficutly finding troubleshooting info. It cranks over with no problem, but not even a glimmer of firing. Checked the keyway at the flywheel without pulling it all the way apart and that looks good... dont knw where to go next. Spark plug is new, fuel is new. Ran fine right before the hitting of the stick. Any input is appreciated folks! thank you, Jay

K

KennyV

...Checked the keyway at the flywheel without pulling it all the way apart and that looks good... dont knw where to go next. Spark plug is new, fuel is new. Ran fine right before the hitting of the stick.

Hello Jay... WELCOME to these Forums.
Check if you have any spark... if there is spark to the plug... it may be what you first suspected, the key in the flywheel could be partially sheared ...
You really should start a new post about this, it can easily get lost in this 'general' topic forum, check the key nd post back...:smile:KennyV

A

allis327

Hi My name is Mike from MN
I have Sunstar and a Regentun
The cam broke in my Sunstar yesterday so I used the wifes Regent to finish up, noticed it did not idle down. Turns out it has been that way for awhile. I took the carb off and found the screws fell out of the butterfly an the butterfly wedged just perfect for 7/8 throttle. Found some new screws out of a junked Stihl chopsaw. Runs great no idea what damage the screws did.

Now I am looking for a new motor for my Sunstar

D

Daviedav

Re:New to Lawn World

Hello,
Retired woodworker,and loving it. I live on the outskirts of the blue ridge mountains.I own a 1972 4040 Power Max with a 5 foot deck, front and rear blade, cultivators, turning plow and a 4 foot tiller which I need a part for. So if anybody knows where I may find them, please help.I hope to restore these when I get time this winter. Looking forward to hearing about other peoples work toys.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Re: New to Lawn World

Hello,
Retired woodworker,and loving it. I live on the outskirts of the blue ridge mountains.I own a 1972 4040 Power Max with a 5 foot deck, front and rear blade, cultivators, turning plow and a 4 foot tiller which I need a part for. So if anybody knows where I may find them, please help.I hope to restore these when I get time this winter. Looking forward to hearing about other peoples work toys.

:welcome: Welcome! You might be able to order parts from here: OEM Parts

G

Gewaldny

Buying a used legacy xl

Retiring a well used ariens gt20 finally. Have the rototiller that still works and wondering if will work with the simplicity? It has the rear pro and lift mechanism.

D

Daviedav

Hello,
Is it possible that you could send me a picture and the price of your machine as I have not found anything?
I also need to know your location.
Thanks for your offer.
Daviedav

S

slowfeet

Hi,
My machine is a zero turn model Champion 20/50 SMI for Australia and New Zealand. The mower is 7 years old. It has worked hard on a large block and performed well. Generally, it isn't too difficult to sort out issues but I have run into an issue that I can't seem to solve.

I need to access the electrical connections in the console on the right hand side of the machine. The problem is that mice have found a way in and had a nice meal of at least some of the insulation. I need to get in, clean things up and repair the wires. Trouble is I can't get into the console. There are two 13mm bolts on the side that look as though they could be holding things together but they seem to have locking nuts on the inside and getting a spanner in there is very difficult. There are also 3 screws with allen key heads on top of the console. These appear to be rusted on. Before I get drastic, does anyone have any ideas? Please?

M

mcclainn

Hey everybody. I have a 2012 Regent 22/44. Briggs 22HP professional series twin. Absolutely love this mower. Started having problems the last couple of mows. Only happens after about a 1/2hr of use (once it's good and warmed up). Any change in direction - fwd/rev or sharp turn left/right & the engine begins to die. If I sit still eventually it chugs back to life and I can continue mowing. Kind of like when you lean too far off the seat and disengage the seat safety switch. This is a serious issue as I have many obstacles / grade changes to mow around. Any advice would be much appreciated!

E

earthworm

Hi,
My machine is a zero turn model Champion 20/50 SMI for Australia and New Zealand. The mower is 7 years old. It has worked hard on a large block and performed well. Generally, it isn't too difficult to sort out issues but I have run into an issue that I can't seem to solve.

I need to access the electrical connections in the console on the right hand side of the machine. The problem is that mice have found a way in and had a nice meal of at least some of the insulation. I need to get in, clean things up and repair the wires. Trouble is I can't get into the console. There are two 13mm bolts on the side that look as though they could be holding things together but they seem to have locking nuts on the inside and getting a spanner in there is very difficult. There are also 3 screws with allen key heads on top of the console. These appear to be rusted on. Before I get drastic, does anyone have any ideas? Please?
Secure a good blown up pic of the parts in that area...This may help ....Maybe use needle nosed Vice Grips in lieu of a spanner/wrench . One thing about Simplicity (and all others) , the machine is designed to be "quick and easy to assemble", but this may not translate to be easy to disassemble in order to repair..In other words, you may have to disassemble half the machine to get at one thing ..

G

gkoster

I just picked up my first Simplicity today. Finally found a Sunrunner locally that wasn't badly neglected or overpriced. It's the 12hp hydrostatic model with a 42" deck. It needs a little love as it has been sitting for a while, but it runs and mows as is.

20140727_150428.jpg20140727_114845.jpg

E

earthworm

Last year ( or so), I was contemplating the purchase of a SunRunner ..It was really worn out..but the price was reasonable, I think ..and it was in York.. I do not think the owner was trying very hard to sell it ...and it would be a toy for me.. I have but 0.4 acre , these babies are huge ..
Your latest acquisition looks really good to me ..Simplicities are interesting .. I have the EZ 1644 , another sales flop, but I think its a better design..

G

gkoster

Last year ( or so), I was contemplating the purchase of a SunRunner ..It was really worn out..but the price was reasonable, I think ..and it was in York.. I do not think the owner was trying very hard to sell it ...and it would be a toy for me.. I have but 0.4 acre , these babies are huge ..
Your latest acquisition looks really good to me ..Simplicities are interesting .. I have the EZ 1644 , another sales flop, but I think its a better design..

They're huge? Maybe a foot longer than my Cub Cadets, but the Sunrunner makes up for it in maneuverability. The more I look at mine, the more I think it was barely used. Pretty sure it's the original seat with no tears or cracks. Even the decals and non skid tape on the floorboard appears to be original and isn't showing any wear. No smoke at all from the engine, no loose bearings or bushings. Not bad for $350.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

I just picked up my first Simplicity today. Finally found a Sunrunner locally that wasn't badly neglected or overpriced. It's the 12hp hydrostatic model with a 42" deck. It needs a little love as it has been sitting for a while, but it runs and mows as is.

View attachment 22437View attachment 22438

Looks like you got a nice little steal! I see you already put it to work with that cooler in back! Nice going man!

I

IjustWannaMow

Hello

Hi, my real name is Dave and I drive a Simplicity Regent m/n 1693919. It doesn't not have a unique name. I just call it The Simplicity. Which is funny because this mower doesn't seem all that simple. It does have an indian name: "Hood got dented by backhoe".

A

airboss

Hello from Wisconsin. Just bought a 2017 Simplicity Prestige 27/52 with fab Deck. Don't have a name for the tractor yet. Looking forward to the forums.
Dave

M

Mick Oz

Hi, my name is Mick, I live in the far north or Australia. I have a viking mt830 which at different times ive been told was a Stihl and a Murray and a Simplicity, but the only name I ever found on it was Viking and Simplicity. The Simplicity label is on an electronic part next to the solenoid.

Attachments

unclecrash

Hello everyone new to the forum. Brother just picked up a consumer Simplicity 1694455 zeroturn I will be servicing and using. It is the 50inch deck with power blower which Im going to be needing parts to attach it a few things missing. All ready did some deck repair and have fixed quite a few things all ready. my next job will be trying to level the deck. I just checked and @ the 4.5inch height it is cutting way too short so I checked with a tape measure and it is at 3inch give or take. My question is if I follow the steps in the user manual for leveling the deck will it get my height back to 4.5 or is there a better way to go about it. Thanks Dave ps going for food will check back in a while need this done today hopefully someone can sort me out. Have to cut a couple yards tomorrow.

Attachments

BlazNT

BlazNT

Yes following the manuals instructions will allow you to fix the height.

B

bertsmobile1

Hi, my name is Mick, I live in the far north or Australia. I have a viking mt830 which at different times ive been told was a Stihl and a Murray and a Simplicity, but the only name I ever found on it was Viking and Simplicity. The Simplicity label is on an electronic part next to the solenoid.

Viking was the house brand of Sthil
As such it was a cheap throw away mower to drag customers into Stihl shops so they could sell you some Stihl products.
In OZ they dropped the Viking line when they started selling that discusting World Lawn **** .
All of the Vikings I have worked on were made by Murray ans being a cheap house brand I seriously doubt that they would have got Simplicity to make them as Simplicity made mowers that defineately were not simple and not cheap.

unclecrash

Yes following the manuals instructions will allow you to fix the height.
Well I followed all steps and it didnt get me back to 4.5 inch cut on high setting still around 3.5. i think they are leaving a few steps out. I don't have instructions in front of me but I believe it tells you to level side to side using the back eye bolts if the are out more than an eight inch or so on the fourth setting. What I think it should say is level it up to 4 inch at tips of blade using the eyebolts. with it set in the fourth height adjustment hole. Who ever owned it beat it up bad the front bars which hold the front on were welded and look as if they were broke seems like it would be real hard to snap them but the front scalp wheel was bent bad and the front corner of the front plates i had to fix and the back roller bar was like a horse shoe and the deck bent in. The front of the deck was way out of wack meaning rods were way long putting the front way down. I put them back to stock and it got me my quarter inch higher as specs say. The two stationary rods I believe D were out by a quarter inch. Wondering if they make a good service manual which will allow me to service all pumps and deck to stock specs. The deck raise bar it tells you not to touch well Im sure it probably has been because it was scalping so I took a better look at how the mechanics of raising the deck were setup and found that by adjusting the deck raising bar will hold the roller bar down better to keep the back from scalping. Before I messed with it you could lift the roller bar to within an inch of the blade height.now Im at about two inch or more so it should keep the back up higher when I hit the good size double hump.

BlazNT

BlazNT

No manual is going to tell you how to adjust an inch. You have to take the instructions and tweek them to fit your needs. And wow that sounds like the where mowing a mine field.

unclecrash

Ya they busted it up pretty good. Maybe backed into a big stump on the back and who knows what they hit in the front. It cut pretty good after I leveled the deck and stuff. Tomorrow Im going to see about raising the eye bolts up in the back and rechecking everything.

Thodge

Thodge

Hello. I'm a "new to me" 2016 Simplicity Broadmoor 22-44 owner. I purchased her with only 38 hours on the clock. She came with the mulching kit and with Gator G5 blades already installed. Sadly on the very first mowing, a continuous windrow was being generated on the Shute end of the deck. So I took the deck off, removed the Gator blades and the mulch kit and returned it to the original stock deck configuration. Now with second mowing I'm completely happy with the performance. No windrows to be found and the clippings are sprayed so evenly you really can't see them.

I'm plannng on reinstalling the Gator blades only to see if there is any difference.

Any suggestions for operation or maintenance are most welcome!

B

bertsmobile1

:welcome:

Viking was a trade brand of Stihl the logic being the single brand Stihl chain saw shops would also have mowers to sell.
Stihl now have a trade arrangement with Honda for push mowers & World Lawn for garbage ride ons.
Viking makes nothing it designs things and gets them made for them.
In this case it was Murry who made your mower so Murry parts will fit it.
Murry went belly up some time back & Stihl abandoned the whole Viking thing down here although I think they are continuing with the Viking brand in the EU

Hello all,

Just enrolled into this forum. I've just bought a Simplicity 728 Broadmoor mower that came with snow thrower and a tiller.

Could someone post a picture of the carburetor, mine is missing something on the end of the carb. I have the air cleaner on the top, however, on the end of the carb, it's wide open to the great outdoors.

Clearly something is missing and I'm just not sure what I need.

Thanks in advance

Jamie from Michigan

P

Packman

Greetings from Virginia. I just got this 2004 20H44 Conquest last year.

20170924_StillOnTrailer.jpg20171104_HaulingBrush.jpg

It's been great so far, though I'm have a drive / transmission issue with it - have to search through forums and/or start a thread.

WVSNAPPER

WVSNAPPER

Hello all. I have already been a member here but just this afternoon got my Father-In-Laws 1990 Simplicity GTH Series garden tractor. He bought it new it 1990 and has babied it throughout its entire life. Not to say he didn't use it as it has 1290 hours on it as it sits here in my garage at present. The name " ORANGE CRUSH ".. I will retire my Snapper for awhile now and begin using this for my lawn and garden needs. Thanks for taking your time to look it over. Have a " GREAT " evening all !!!!!

Attachments

S

SteveO1953

My 4212H mower w/36" deck has been named Old Faithful. I bought it second hand in 1992 & I still use it.
For 5 years I used it for my part time commercial lawn service & when I quit my son took it over for 2 more years.
I have done normal maintenance & did have to replace the mower belt, some idler pulleys, blades & the deck rollers several times.
All in all it has been a great set up & has not cost a lot of money over the years.

SteveO1953

C

CrawlingKane

Hello,

My name is Chase I just bought my 2nd house with a lot more land and was gifted two riding mowers - 1 is a 1973 Simplicity 738 Broadmoar with a mower deck that needs welding and a snow thrower! It's running like a dream. The 2nd mower I was gifted is a 16 HP Hydro Regent. However it is not running which is why i'm here. I can't seem to figure out why! but I plan to keep these machines a long time and I am now learning how engines work! Thanks!

Evil.Dingo

Evil.Dingo

Hi,

Last year, brought a house with a big yard. Was time to retire the pusher. Got a 4211 with a bad motor, sold that. Got a 200 regent 500 38" that ran strong but needed some TLC. Still working the bugs out of it, but it cuts nice with stripes when its running well and not snapping belts (think I figured that problem out).

Great forum here, looking forward to being part of it.

Dave

T

TomB1

New to the forums and I have already found a lot of good information. A few years ago I donated my old John Deere zero turn to my son and bought a new Citation 52". I was getting ready to retire and needed to upgrade my equipment while I still had some spendable income. Glad I did. It's a great machine. 26hp Briggs will plow through any grass. I just finished mowing so it's a little dusty. My lawn could use some rain.

Tom

Attachments

S

snicarry

Hello All,

New Simplicity owner.. Legacy XL 2690352 with 54" mower deck, FEL (Front End Loader).
Bought used with ~715 hrs and recently serviced bumper to bumper, by seller.

Looking for some help with an issue, I'll browse forum before starting a new thread...

Thanks in advance to all who share their expertise on this forum...

Steve

M

mbarcher

Hello all
I have a Simplicity Powermax 9020 with a transplant Briggs & Stratton 23hp V-twin engine . Love this old tractor .

greendohn

greendohn

New guy from Indiana.
Just a bought a 2003 Prestige with 588 hours, 23hp Kohler, 54" deck, power steering, power lift deck.
Bright clean paint and the deck is in excellent condition...it cuts great!

Has the dreaded "steering drift" but I bought it low enough I should be okay after rebuilding the front end this winter.
The steering pump and tilt wheel mechanics are okay.

Gonna' poke around, read all I can and hopefully will be able to contribute something useful as well.

H

HPP Mechanic

Greetings. I live in Caledonia, Wisconsin and recently snagged an old 83-84? 5216H. It had not run in years and is butt-ugly! I got it running & cut my lawn with it for the 1st time. Came with a snowblower head but no mounting bracket! I have a few months to find on before it snows. Steering is real sloppy, headlites inop, etc. needs more work, but seems solid & runs good.9607_resized.jpeg
Code:

R

RichB

Hello,
I have a simplicity Broadmoore lawn tractor, which I purchased in 2018. Love the mower but over bought on a 48 inch plow blade, if anyone is interested in it I would intertain any reasonable offer.

RichB

H

Haine2

Howdy. New here and from WV
Bought a new Simplicity Broadmoor this past May 2019....and love it

file-80.jpeg

T

tmyers

Oh my where do I start. Inherited my dads Regent 38" with the Kohler Courage power plant in 18 HP. I am here mainly to figure out how to stop buying belts at $40 a pop. Secondary to that but maybe not is how to stop grinding the PTO pulley into the deck brackets, and thirdly I have to check to make sure the sump bolts are not coming loose on the engine.

A lot to do but I want it running correctly.

B

bertsmobile1

Oh my where do I start. Inherited my dads Regent 38" with the Kohler Courage power plant in 18 HP. I am here mainly to figure out how to stop buying belts at $40 a pop. Secondary to that but maybe not is how to stop grinding the PTO pulley into the deck brackets, and thirdly I have to check to make sure the sump bolts are not coming loose on the engine.

A lot to do but I want it running correctly.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I see you have done the right thing by putting your problems into individual post, even if you tacked the deck onto the end of another persons .
Get your numbers then go to the simplicity web page and download the service, owners and parts manuals.
They are all up there for a free downlaod but they are dependent upon your actual serial number as Simplicity did make a few changes.
In the back of the owners manual should be the service schedule so start with doing the biggest service listed.
Use the parts book to locate all of the grease fittings
If you have a compressor then get a long ( 4 foot or better ) air duster to keep the mower clean so you can see what is going on.
Wear is the killer with these older mowers made with real steel rather than converted baked bean cans and the combined effect of a lot of fittings slightly ovalled is a big belt bill.
Till you get the deck sorted look at Rotary, Stens, Prime Line or Oregon for OEM spec belts which should knock down the belt replacement costs till you have done some welding & fitting on the deck & mower
Avoid all of the cheapie "unbranded" belts you will see all over the web.
There is a reason why the maker was too scared to put their name on the belts.

G

Ggerg1186

Hello, new to forum, I have a Massey Ferguson (Simplicity) 2925 garden tractor and have a few questions. Neat little tractor with a loader attachment and 60" mower deck. I am currently fabricating a scraper blade for the rear three point hitch.

W

wick1963

Howdy,

Thank you for the add. I'm looking at purchasing a simplicity citation or cobalt. Looking forward to learn from all of you as I get educated.

P

printing724

Greetings, new to forum. Bought a new Cobalt last July, it replaces a Swisher ZT2660 that did fine for 12 years until one of the (obsolete) hydro drives failed. Had an International 782 for many years before that. Also have currently (besides the Cobalt), a John Deere 1026R with bucket & forks to push/pull/carry stuff around and a John Deere 1020 with a 7 ft Landpride finish mower for the pasture.

The good:
  • I like the Simplicity, bought it for the comfort as my ground is rough, Besides the four wheel suspension, it has the fancy seat. I have pretty serious back problems, used to have to split the yard in half with the Swisher, with the Cobalt I breeze through it all at once and feel fine when done. It really is like mowing in an easy chair..
  • The machine seems to be well built (except possibly for the wiring, more about that later).
  • The extra power (compared to the Swisher) is interesting and takes some getting used to, you can easily tear up the turf. It takes a much more gentle hand on the sticks.
  • The EFI is nice, no choke to worry about. Starts every time (except once, more about that later).
  • I was amazed at the 500 hour oil change interval. If I wait it out, it's distinctly possible I may not live long enough to change the oil in this thing.
  • Overall, I give the machine itself a 9.0/10 rating.
    • I'm taking 0.5 off for the guard on the engine that makes it difficult to put a solid hitch on. Maybe they did that on purpose.
    • I'm taking another 0.5 off because of the deck lift mechanism. Takes a fair push on the pedal to bring it up. I'm ok with it, but my wife has great difficulty raising the deck.
The bad:
  • The original dealer and I do not get along. I will have to travel an extra ten miles to a different one in the future. I am told I'm not the only person who has that problem.
  • The machine is in the shop (original dealer) right now. Died while in use. I loaded it on a trailer and dropped it off. From what little they will tell me, the fuel pump was not getting any power due to a fault in the wiring harness. They are waiting on a replacement harness which means it will be down for at least a week by the time I get it back. No one asked if I wanted to pay for expedited shipping. They won't tell me what part number they are waiting on, I offered to see if I could find one on my own dime so I could get the machine back sooner. Nope. They get downright hostile if you suggest something that's out of their comfort zone. So the relationship is broken, and I'll be going to my John Deere dealer who I have dealt with for many years (they handle Simplicity, too, they're just farther away).
  • The biggest problem: I didn't know this when I bought it, but apparently Simplicity/Ferris/Briggs will not provide (at any price) service manuals to customers. I always purchase a factory service manual for equipment I buy, new or used. Had I known service manual was not available, I would not have bought the machine, that would have been a deal breaker. It just never occurred to me that service manuals would be restricted to dealers by any sane company so I didn't ask in advance. Won't make that mistake again.
  • Why do you care about a service manual, you ask? [begin rant] I've been working on farm and industrial machinery for 50 years. And nuclear power plants. My dealer has access to service documentation and brand specific experience not available to me. But I've got experience myself, tools at least as good as theirs, and time. In the last 25 years I have never had to take a machine to a dealer, managed to do all repairs myself. But right now my $9000+ machine is down for a week plus because of a loose/broken wire that I probably would have fixed in two hours myself (at no cost to anybody) if I had a full wiring diagram for it. So every time anything goes wrong with it, I'm going to have to waste maybe two hours hauling it to the dealer and another two hours bringing it back. Or pay them to transport it at $70 a pop. All because I don't have the service documentation, without which there are many things I can't /won't attempt. [end rant]
  • Because of the service manual issue, I'm going to be keeping my eye open for a replacement for the Cobalt. Don't know if I'll find anything because the Simplicity/Ferris design is pretty unique. But I'll be looking.