Seat Switch Question

OldDiyer

Threads
I have a Craftsman 917-272452 lawn tractor, yesterday I was chasing down no power to the headlights so printed the wiring diagram so I could for sure get the checking correct. Found the issue and fixed the lights. Well looking at the diagram and being nosey I seen that my seat switch has 3 black wires and a 2-spade switch 2 wires on one side and 1 on the other. The wiring diagram only shows 2 wires on that switch what am I not seeing? Nothing is wrong and the tractor is working but just wondering about the wiring so I can make a note of the wiring at that switch. Thanks in advance.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

OldDiyer

Threads
Mark, Thanks for the reply but I think you missed the point of my question. I have the owner's manual and the wiring diagram. I also have the parts manual but don't need parts. My guestion again is the diagram shows 2 wires to the switch, but my tractor has 3 wires 2 to one spade and 1 from the other. I have owned this unit from new, so nothing was changed this is the factory setup. I was just asking why I might have 3 wires, but the diagram only is showing 2 wires. I did look at the you tube vidios but they are only about bypassing but none show a differance for wiring as I said my tractor is running fine and all switches are in place it's just that the diagram seems different than my tractor. Thanks again but your answer also does not answer the real question.

tackleberry

Threads
I think, seat switches works one of two ways...normally open....which means the switch is open and when you get off the seat the switch closes which grounds out the engine ignition to stop it. The other way the switch works is the contacts are closed, and when you leave the seat, the contacts open and one connects to a ground which grounds out the engine ignition. I think the three wire sytem is that method. The normally open way...Two wire, can be worked around by unplugging on of the leads. The three wire you have to disconnect the connector and place a jumper wire in the two leads that aren't connected to ground to keep them connected what ever position the seat is in. i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm mistaken..please do

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Craftsman 917-272452 lawn tractor, yesterday I was chasing down no power to the headlights so printed the wiring diagram so I could for sure get the checking correct. Found the issue and fixed the lights. Well looking at the diagram and being nosey I seen that my seat switch has 3 black wires and a 2-spade switch 2 wires on one side and 1 on the other. The wiring diagram only shows 2 wires on that switch what am I not seeing? Nothing is wrong and the tractor is working but just wondering about the wiring so I can make a note of the wiring at that switch. Thanks in advance.
the diagram is showing two wires, but that one wire appears to go to a splice in the diagram. The splice in the diagram is actually the spade connector that connects to the seat switch.. hence the two wires on one side.

OldDiyer

Threads
tackleberry, Thanks and that is about how I thought the switch would be working as well.
ILENGINE, looking at the diagram I see what you mean, for me looking at it I didn't think those two wires at the slice would come together at the switch, but I do get it. So, Thank you for the answer I was looking for. I knew that someone here that deals with this on a daily basis would have the answer.
I am thankful to have found this site most people are willing to help and usually have the answer to problems.