Scott's 2348 Lawn Tractor Transmission?

Batt4Christ

Threads
I used the tractor a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. Transported on trailer.

When I unloaded it a couple weeks ago, I didn't bother to push the transmission disengagement "thing" back in... didn't think about it.

When I got on this AM to knock out a patch of premature growth, I cranked her up and after warm-up, pressed the "forward" pedal.. and nothing. Of course - I remembered the disengagement "thing" and pushed it in. I press the forward pedal and it sounds like a standard transmission being shifted without a clutch. I stopped and shut machine off. I check the oil through the "peep hole" (which is such a horrible design - it is VERY hard to see anything). I pull the cap and see that the reservoir is essentially empty.

I look up online that the tractor came with 5W30 in the hydro transmission, and the manual says to put in 5W50 Synthetic when adding... Well ok...

I run to parts store, grab a bottle of the only 5W50 syn they have. I get home, add oil until I am fairly confident that the level is right. Get on machine, crank it up and press the forward pedal - a very brief grinding again, but then it immediately quiets down and runs smoothly. I make a couple of passes and it is running along nicely.

I get to a point I need to back up to turn around - I come to a stop, and press the heel/reverse lever and machine begins to move backwards as expected... for a couple of feet then a puff of smoke from under the tractor, and the machine stops moving (engine still running). No forward or backward pedal does anything at all - no noise, no nothing.

A friend suggested I check the main drive belt. He said I will likely have to pull the deck off (fun fun).

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it likely just a belt? Or could something have gone south in the tranny?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by checking the drive belt. Something may have thrown it off and smoked it. If belt is smoked, and is still on the tranny drive pulley, try to turn tranny pulley by hand, and see how it turns, will have some resistance, but should turn fairly easy. If pulley doesn't turn, then I would say you have major issues.

Batt4Christ

Threads
I would start by checking the drive belt. Something may have thrown it off and smoked it. If belt is smoked, and is still on the tranny drive pulley, try to turn tranny pulley by hand, and see how it turns, will have some resistance, but should turn fairly easy. If pulley doesn't turn, then I would say you have major issues.

That is kind of the line of thinking I have... I suspect I won't be able to reach in and/or be able to see very well without pulling the deck.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure but I think your mower has the battery under the seat. If it does remove battery and the saddle it sits in and you van get to the pulley.

Batt4Christ

Threads
Not sure but I think your mower has the battery under the seat. If it does remove battery and the saddle it sits in and you van get to the pulley.

Unfortunately, the gas tank and the transmission oil reservoir is under the seat, battery is under the hood.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unfortunately, the gas tank and the transmission oil reservoir is under the seat, battery is under the hood.

Looks like you will be taking the deck off. Should only take a couple mins.