Export thread

Scag Turf Tiger ll / Diesel

R

Retired Lawman

I want to know everything there is to know about it..My dealer has never sold one..I don't understand why..Anyone actually used one I'd love to hear from you..Thanks

cpurvis

cpurvis

I'm sure the reason he hasn't sold one is because they're not cheap and people are. It's truly a case of paying for what you get.

I've had a Kubota diesel tractor for 15 years and all I've ever had to do is change the oil, filters and coolant. Diesels are slightly more fuel efficient, in part due to their high compression ratio and the fact that there are more BTUs per gallon of diesel fuel than in a gallon of gasoline. When I mow, using a rear mounted mower, I run it at 1800 to 2000 rpm. No need to run wide open as the grass cuts just fine and the clippings are well scattered.

http://scag.com/stt_25kdb.html

R

Retired Lawman

I too run a John Deere diesel powered belly mower..I love it..It operates at lower rpm's and is much less stressful to operate and has never had a single problem in 17 years..It uses a narrower mower and I doubt it would perform well with the 61" velocity mower..My concern is that the 25 hp Scag would be underpowered..

cpurvis

cpurvis

I'm pretty sure the Scag engineers took power requirements into account when they chose the 25 hp Kubota engine.

If you're worried about the 25 hp diesel rating as compared to the 35 hp gas engine rating, don't be. This engine operates at lower rpms than the gas engine. It will have more torque than the gas engines. I think the engine in my tractor is rated at 27.5 PTO hp. If I were to replace it with one of those 35 hp V-twin gas engines, I guarantee it would be a downgrade in performance. It powers a 6-foot mower with ease and I don't even run it at full power. IIRC, when I bought the mower, the salesman said my tractor could power a 7-foot mower if I wanted--and that's at 27.5 hp.

R

Retired Lawman

I'm pretty sure the Scag engineers took power requirements into account when they chose the 25 hp Kubota engine.

If you're worried about the 25 hp diesel rating as compared to the 35 hp gas engine rating, don't be. This engine operates at lower rpms than the gas engine. It will have more torque than the gas engines. I think the engine in my tractor is rated at 27.5 PTO hp. If I were to replace it with one of those 35 hp V-twin gas engines, I guarantee it would be a downgrade in performance. It powers a 6-foot mower with ease and I don't even run it at full power. IIRC, when I bought the mower, the salesman said my tractor could power a 7-foot mower if I wanted--and that's at 27.5 hp.

My experience with my own John Deere diesel (unknown h.p. but I think around 22) and Scag 31 h.p. Kawasaki engine suggest the same thing but I just don't understand it..Seems to me like horsepower is horsepower..

R

Retired Lawman

okay..Just pulled my records..My John Deere was purchased 7/31/1997..It is 22 h.p. yanmar diesel engine with 54" mid mount mower..Never a single problem with the engine and cuts about as well as my Scag Cheetah with 31 h.p. Kawasaki engine with 61" velocity mower..I guess that is about what should be expected with the 7" difference in cutting width..Still leaves me with skepticism about how much difference 3 more h.p. would make on a 61" cutter..

I really doubt the 25 hp scag diesel would cut what the Vanguard 35 hp would..What do you think?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Yeah, I know but it really isn't a good comparison.

If horsepower alone were a good way to compare engines, it would make no difference if you put a 300 hp L-10 Cummins or a 300 hp small block Chevy in an 80,000 lb tractor trailer.

The first generation Dodge Cummins pickups proved it, as well. I think the first generation Dodge Cummins was only rated at 140 or maybe 175 horsepower but would easily outpull gas engines with much higher hp ratings.

R

Retired Lawman

Yeah, I know but it really isn't a good comparison.

If horsepower alone were a good way to compare engines, it would make no difference if you put a 300 hp L-10 Cummins or a 300 hp small block Chevy in an 80,000 lb tractor trailer.

The first generation Dodge Cummins pickups proved it, as well. I think the first generation Dodge Cummins was only rated at 140 or maybe 175 horsepower but would easily outpull gas engines with much higher hp ratings.

I dunno, you may be right, that's why I'm asking..I have no doubt the diesel will outlast the gasoline engine and I'm sure it will pull a heavier load but what I want to know is how they compare at cutting heavy Bahia grass...

I also worry about it getting stuck easier as I sometimes find myself in a slick soft spot..

cpurvis

cpurvis

I don't even know what Bahia grass is, but I'll bet the diesel cuts it better than a gas engine. It has more torque and that's what does the work.

As far as weights go, the 61" diesel model is shown as being 95 lbs heavier than the gas model. For some strange reason, the 72" model is shown as being 255 lbs heavier than a gas model. That doesn't make any sense, because it's the same engine for both models.

I got those numbers from the owner's manual that is downloadable on the Scag website.

As to whether the additional weight hurts or helps, I can't answer. It's over the drive wheels which I would think would help unless you get in really soft stuff.

R

Retired Lawman

I don't even know what Bahia grass is, but I'll bet the diesel cuts it better than a gas engine. It has more torque and that's what does the work.

As far as weights go, the 61" diesel model is shown as being 95 lbs heavier than the gas model. For some strange reason, the 72" model is shown as being 255 lbs heavier than a gas model. That doesn't make any sense, because it's the same engine for both models.

I got those numbers from the owner's manual that is downloadable on the Scag website.

As to whether the additional weight hurts or helps, I can't answer. It's over the drive wheels which I would think would help unless you get in really soft stuff.

Man I think your're gonna cost me a couple extra thousand bucks! :laughing:

cpurvis

cpurvis

While we're spending your money, an option I'd recommend would be the air filter minder system. It's electronic on the Scag. It will pay for itself pretty quickly by preventing you from replacing air filters more often than is necessary. The air filter element on my Kubota is about $30, so I like to get all the good out of them I can. The air filter on a diesel is a critical element and diesels don't tolerate dirty air at all. I had an air filter element failure on a Cat 3406B and the rings were cut out of it in less than 1,000 miles of highway operation. It didn't help that the air filter can was located right behind a front wheel. It was a Donaldson element and to their credit, they paid a pro-rated amount of the cost of the engine overhaul, which amounted to about 1/3rd of the cost.

I've laid out the positive aspects of diesel power. I've owned diesels since 1971 and currently own three; the Kubota, a Dodge Ram and a VW.

Only you can decide if a diesel is right for you and it may not be, depending upon how many hours you'll use it in a year's time. There's an extra cost to buy a diesel and an hourly savings in running it. Divide the extra cost by the hourly savings per year and you'll see how many years it takes to break even.

R

Retired Lawman

While we're spending your money, an option I'd recommend would be the air filter minder system. It's electronic on the Scag. It will pay for itself pretty quickly by preventing you from replacing air filters more often than is necessary. The air filter element on my Kubota is about $30, so I like to get all the good out of them I can. The air filter on a diesel is a critical element and diesels don't tolerate dirty air at all. I had an air filter element failure on a Cat 3406B and the rings were cut out of it in less than 1,000 miles of highway operation. It didn't help that the air filter can was located right behind a front wheel. It was a Donaldson element and to their credit, they paid a pro-rated amount of the cost of the engine overhaul, which amounted to about 1/3rd of the cost.

I've laid out the positive aspects of diesel power. I've owned diesels since 1971 and currently own three; the Kubota, a Dodge Ram and a VW.

Only you can decide if a diesel is right for you and it may not be, depending upon how many hours you'll use it in a year's time. There's an extra cost to buy a diesel and an hourly savings in running it. Divide the extra cost by the hourly savings per year and you'll see how many years it takes to break even.

At this point in my life very little of what I spend has to do with what I need or what makes sense from a financial perspective..I'm blessed in that most of what I buy now is simply what I want....

cpurvis

cpurvis

That's cool, and assuming you got there doing what your screen name suggests, thank you for spending your career risking your life daily, dealing with the types of people I hope to never meet. Somebody has to do it and it's a good thing there are people like you who are willing to do it.

R

Retired Lawman

That's cool, and assuming you got there doing what your screen name suggests, thank you for spending your career risking your life daily, dealing with the types of people I hope to never meet. Somebody has to do it and it's a good thing there are people like you who are willing to do it.

Wow! Makes my day.... 42 years and never a serious injury to myself...24 years with Houston P.D. and 18 years as Shelby Co. TX PCT 3 Constable.. Very unusual these days for someone to voice that opinion about law enforcement..

Loving retirement..

Got more tractors and toys than I can keep properly maintained..

What's not to like about retirement?

Thanks!

H

helomech

Horse power is not what gets work done, torque is. My 25k lb Army 5 ton only makes 275 hp (I believe), but I promise you it will drag any normal truck around with 5 times the hp.

R

Retired Lawman

Horse power is not what gets work done, torque is. My 25k lb Army 5 ton only makes 275 hp (I believe), but I promise you it will drag any normal truck around with 5 times the hp.

But I need something that will cut tall thick grass...I have a 93 hp John Deere tractor I use for dragging big stuff..

jekjr

jekjr

I can tell you that the engine is not the difference on Bahia Grass. It is the Velocity Deck that makes the difference.

I will cut 25 acres of Bahia Grass Monday if we don't get rained out and NOTHING I have ever seen will cut Bahia Grass with a Scag because of the Velocity Deck.

Actually I have been running three Tiger Cat Scags. All three have 52" Decks with Kawasaki motors. We cut over 90 properties in Lower Alabama every 2 weeks.

95% of them will have a large percentage of Bahia Grass.

We are going to demonstrate a Turf Tiger II Monday with a 35hp Vanguard.

jekjr

jekjr

But I need something that will cut tall thick grass...I have a 93 hp John Deere tractor I use for dragging big stuff..

As I have said on this forum many times. I cut large amounts of Bahia Grass in Lower Alabama. The way it has rained this year it has been incredible how fast it has grown. We have cut bahia grass that you could have let dry and then raked and baled it in one pass. Acres at the time.

The Velocity Deck on a Scag is pretty much unmatched when it comes to cutting it.

jekjr

jekjr

I run Scags have three of them. All three are Tiger Cats. I am looking at either buying a Turf Tiger with a 61 or 72" or either a Cheetah with 61" or 72" deck.

Here is one thing that I have looked at. In the event of a catastrophic engine failure after the warranty goes out with the diesel engine you are looking at probably twice the money to replace it that you would be with the gas engine.

I am not sure how many hours you would be looking at difference in how long they would last diesel verses gas.

I have a Tiger Cat with the Kawasaki engine on it that has over 1600 hours on it and does not use oil.

There are many variables you can add to equation as to what is the best machine.

jekjr

jekjr

When it comes to cutting Bahia Grass it is all about deck design and blade tip velocity.

R

Retired Lawman

I have a Tiger Cat with the Kawasaki engine on it that has over 1600 hours on it and does not use oil.

Which engine?

M

Mad Mackie

A Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki gas engine would be either an FX691V or an FX730V depending on the deck size.

H

helomech

That wasn't my point. My point was any work is done with torque, not hp. hp is just a measure of torque at a given rpm.

My jacobsen is only 25 hp kubota diesel and it NEVER bogs down no matter what grass I cut. It will chop small trees without bogging down. The only thing that ever happens is if a big branch gets under it, the belt will slip, but the engine never even sounds like it is trying.

R

Retired Lawman

A Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki gas engine would be either an FX691V or an FX730V depending on the deck size.

I know..I have the FX691V on my Cheetah but I've heard some don't like the larger engine..Is there a problem with the 691?

R

Retired Lawman

hp is just a measure of torque at a given rpm.
If torque is a better measure of ability to cut grass why are torque numbers not given?

jekjr

jekjr

If torque is a better measure of ability to cut grass why are torque numbers not given?

The 22hp Kawasaki motors on the Tiger Cats are pretty impressive with power and durability. The secret again though to cutting the bahia grass is the velocity deck. We have had people stop where we were cutting grass and get out and kick the trimmings off the top and just look and say, " I didn't believe it would cut like that until I saw it."

One quick not on that. YOU HAVE TO KEEP SHARP BLADES ON THEM TO DO THAT.

Many days when cutting like that we have changed blades the third time in a 10 or 11 hour day to accomplish this.

R

Retired Lawman

The 22hp Kawasaki motors on the Tiger Cats are pretty impressive with power and durability. The secret again though to cutting the bahia grass is the velocity deck. We have had people stop where we were cutting grass and get out and kick the trimmings off the top and just look and say, " I didn't believe it would cut like that until I saw it."

One quick not on that. YOU HAVE TO KEEP SHARP BLADES ON THEM TO DO THAT.

Many days when cutting like that we have changed blades the third time in a 10 or 11 hour day to accomplish this.

It would take me 10 - 11 hours just to change the blades 3 times on my Cheetah..I try to change them every couple of years... :)

jekjr

jekjr

It would take me 10 - 11 hours just to change the blades 3 times on my Cheetah..I try to change them every couple of years... :)

We can change a set on a Tiger Cat in less than 5 minutes.

H

helomech

I wish I could answer that. I guess it is just what people expect.

cpurvis

cpurvis

People think they understand horsepower. They've grown up with it. Everything they own or read about is rated in horsepower, from their cars to the tiny electric motors in their electric razors to a railway locomotive. They can visualize this massive animal and combine that with the knowledge that their lawnmower has the equivalent power of 35 of them which can be put to work any time they want.

Torque? Not so much. How do you visualize torque? I don't know how many people have asked me how many horsepower a 'torque' rating on a small engine represents. They are at a loss; 6.75 ft-lb of torque means nothing to them.

R

Retired Lawman

How could I find out the torque ratings of the Scag diesel and the Scag Briggs and Stratton Vanguard?

cpurvis

cpurvis

You need to see the whole graph of Torque vs RPM. It's the area under the curve that matters.

jekjr

jekjr

I might not be smart enough to understand all of the technical terms associated with this thread. I do know one thing. I cut 90 plus properties in South Alabama over a two week period. 95% plus of those properties are Bahia Grass or partial Bahia Grass. In July and August when the afternoon rains start and the nights stay in the 80's it is almost like you can hear the mess growing.

I see debate on here an other places as to what will cut it and what will not cut it.

I run Tiger Cat Scags with 52" decks and Kawasaki engines.

I have on several different occasions run Turf Tigers with 35 hp Vanguards and 61" decks on them.

I once ran ZD 326 Kubota mower before going to Scags.

I have found NOTHING that will cut Bahia Grass with a 52" Tiger Cat Scag. The 61" Turf Tiger will cut it but not like the Tiger Cat. Over the course of several hours the Tiger Cat will cut more acres of grass than the Turf Tiger because of the fact that the Turf Tiger has to run slower or it will leave stringers that the Tiger Cats don't leave.

I have run them in the same properties, side by side. I have run the Turf Tiger and put my operators on the Tiger Cats. Then I have taken the Turf Tiger and put an employee on the Tiger Cats. Regardless of which of us runs it we see the same results.

I ran a Tiger Cat in the same yards as the ZD 326 Kubota with a 60" Deck. I never could get it to cut any where close to as clean as the Tiger Cat. I ran it myself and I had my operators try it and swapped back.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota that is useless to cut Bahia grass because you have to make double passes over the Bahia to get it cut.

As much grass as I cut I need a bigger decked mower. I am going to look hard at a 72" or 61" Cheeta this coming year. I do not know what the outcome of that will be yet.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on what will Bahia grass and what won't. That is my observation.

I have on Tiger Cat that is above the 1600 hour mark. The deck has been worn through and patched several times. Abused is not a strong enough word for what that mower has been through. It has been assaulted or molested. That better describes how it has been used and it goes daily with little down time.

If you want to spend money. Buy something else. If you want to cut grass get a Tiger Cat Scag.

R

Retired Lawman

I might not be smart enough to understand all of the technical terms associated with this thread. I do know one thing. I cut 90 plus properties in South Alabama over a two week period. 95% plus of those properties are Bahia Grass or partial Bahia Grass. In July and August when the afternoon rains start and the nights stay in the 80's it is almost like you can hear the mess growing.

I see debate on here an other places as to what will cut it and what will not cut it.

I run Tiger Cat Scags with 52" decks and Kawasaki engines.

I have on several different occasions run Turf Tigers with 35 hp Vanguards and 61" decks on them.

I once ran ZD 326 Kubota mower before going to Scags.

I have found NOTHING that will cut Bahia Grass with a 52" Tiger Cat Scag. The 61" Turf Tiger will cut it but not like the Tiger Cat. Over the course of several hours the Tiger Cat will cut more acres of grass than the Turf Tiger because of the fact that the Turf Tiger has to run slower or it will leave stringers that the Tiger Cats don't leave.

I have run them in the same properties, side by side. I have run the Turf Tiger and put my operators on the Tiger Cats. Then I have taken the Turf Tiger and put an employee on the Tiger Cats. Regardless of which of us runs it we see the same results.

I ran a Tiger Cat in the same yards as the ZD 326 Kubota with a 60" Deck. I never could get it to cut any where close to as clean as the Tiger Cat. I ran it myself and I had my operators try it and swapped back.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota that is useless to cut Bahia grass because you have to make double passes over the Bahia to get it cut.

As much grass as I cut I need a bigger decked mower. I am going to look hard at a 72" or 61" Cheeta this coming year. I do not know what the outcome of that will be yet.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on what will Bahia grass and what won't. That is my observation.

I have on Tiger Cat that is above the 1600 hour mark. The deck has been worn through and patched several times. Abused is not a strong enough word for what that mower has been through. It has been assaulted or molested. That better describes how it has been used and it goes daily with little down time.

If you want to spend money. Buy something else. If you want to cut grass get a Tiger Cat Scag.

Interesting...What is it about the Tiger Cat you think makes it superior to the Turf Tiger?

jekjr

jekjr

Interesting...What is it about the Tiger Cat you think makes it superior to the Turf Tiger?

We were discussing that this afternoon trying to come to that very conclusion. I honestly do not know. We ran a Turf Tiger yesterday some and again today some.

It was brand new. We ran it an Two Tiger Cats both times on the same properties. One of the Tiger Cats has over 1600 hours on it and one has around 1000 hours on it. (Hour Meter is broken).

Do not get me wrong I do not think it is junk. It will cut grass. However for some reason the Tiger Cat in my opinion and the guys who work with me also makes a cleaner cut at as fast or faster speed than the Turf Tiger II will. ON BAHIA GRASS that is tall. On shorter grass the Turf Tiger will smoke the Tiger Cat. it runs faster and is 9" wider......

Because you have to slow down so slow to make it cut it the faster speed is of no use.

Since we cut so much Bahia Grass that is our choice.

I am wondering if it is the 52" deck verses the 61" deck. I have never operated a Tiger Cat with the 61" deck. It would have to be the difference in the air flow out of the 52" deck or possibly something different in the blade tip velocity or something like that. Not sure.

Since the Cheeta appears to be closer in appearance to the Tiger Cat I would love to try one of those out and see what it does i the mess.

If you live in an area that does not have Bahia Grass you do not know what you are missing. Here in Lower Alabama in a Summer like we have had it has been a beast to contend with. We have cut Bahia that could have literally been raked and baled.

R

Retired Lawman

I often wish I could bale my bahia....I use the Cheetah with the 61" cutter and the larger Kawasaki engine..My only complaint is that I don't like the twittchiness of the controls..It is just too fast to suit me..More experienced operators might like it...

R

Retired Lawman

I might add the Cheetah cuts that Bahai very well...I have never changed blades more than once a year and it still cuts well...You should give the Cheetah a try..

jekjr

jekjr

I often wish I could bale my bahia....I use the Cheetah with the 61" cutter and the larger Kawasaki engine..My only complaint is that I don't like the twittchiness of the controls..It is just too fast to suit me..More experienced operators might like it...

Most of the time I run a Tiger Cat with one hand. Sometimes right and sometimes left but I catch myself when I notice normally it is one hand.

M

Mad Mackie

That is the difference between hydrostatic drives and wheel motors with separate pumps.
Tiger Cubs/Cats are compact machines with high blade tip speeds, wheel motors/pumps, simple drive and deck drive components, relatively easy to service and do blade changes on. Easy to operate with and without a collection system.:cool:

jekjr

jekjr

The Blade Change on the Velocity deck is so easy because all you have to do is raise the mower high enough for the blade bolt to drop out clear of the deck. We have a 19 volt cordless impact that we change blades with. We raise the deck with a small floor jack placed under the front of the deck. Be sure that it is on level ground, (preferably cement) also make sure that the parking brake is released. Leaving it locked can pull it off of the jack when you raise it. Take the impact and take the nuts off of the blade bolts from the top. the bolts with the blades and spacers will fall to the ground. Then change the blades on the bolts and then one by one stick the bolt back through the hole from the bottom and start the nut on each one. This can be achieved by dropping on one knee and sticking the blade bolt in and holding it on place while starting the nut with the other hand. Once all three are started then take the impact and tighten the bolts. One person can change them in 10 minutes or less. With all of us working together we can literally change them in like 3 minutes from the time we start jacking till we let the jack down......