Scag STC 48 19KW

matman9595

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having a problem with my Scag not wanting to start. The battery is new and the starter is new. Just had it professionally tuned up 5 weeks ago. It started fine the last time I mowed, but this time it has a couple of clicks then nothing. I read in a previous post that it may be the charging system. Where is this located and how do I trouble shoot it?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Scag Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Flpohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem is probably with one of the safety switches... seat, control handles, or PTO switch.

thekid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had that problem with my Tiger Cub STC48V- 19KAI- found that the ground wire that attaches to the motor was loose in adition to the other three engine mounting bolts. Tighted all four bolts and no problem since! Hope this helps.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I added a second ground cable from the battery negative terminal to a good frame ground and on to another engine mounting bolt. But the seat switch can be a problem and I keep a new one handy. Also the start solenoid is another problem as the studs that hold the cable lugs can get loose in time. The nut under the cable lug can loosen but you don't want to overtighten it as that can crack the solenoid. My local Scag dealer has a small rotary display stand on the parts counter with the four popular solenoids hanging on each row. This is a hint of a common problem with electric start power equipment. Moving a zero turn machine with a no start condition is no picnic!!!! Once I start mine I usually don't shut it off until the job is done and it is back into my trailer. However I do shut it off if I need to refuel during a job.
All zero turn machines have a group of safety switches and having a wiring diagram of your specific machine handy will help when trouble shooting starting/cranking problems.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: